Songs from the Pre-Hybrid Theory (album) Era

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by SPACE_LEMON, Jan 14, 2015.

SPACE_LEMON

SPACE_LEMON Member

So, I am a rather avid collector of Linkin Park music, but I'm struggling quite a bit with their oldest music, simply because pretty much none of it was ever commercially released, and the sources of such material are questionable (in terms of downloads and whatnot). So I thought I'd ask you guys for help getting my collection right.

First, I'll start by listing all the releases and recordings I am aware of from the era in question (1997 - 2000):
    (Note: of these "albums", I only have (I hesitate to say "own", because I didn't purchase any of this) the 'Xero Sampler Tape', and 'Hybrid Theory EP'.)

"Album": Xero Sampler Tape
    Year: 1997
    Track Listing:
    01 Rhinestone (1997 'Forgotten' Demo)
    02 Reading My Eyes
    03 Fuse
    04 Stick N' Move (Also spelt "Stick N Move")
    (Notes: I have the 2010 remastered version by user Skittle021)

"Album": Hybrid Theory (8-track CD)
    Year: 1999
    Track Listing:
    01 The Untitled (1999 'In the End' Demo)
    02 SuperXero (1999 'By Myself' Demo)
    03 Points & Authority (1999 'Points of Authority' Demo 1)
    04 Crawling (1999 Demo; Also occasionally names "Under Attack" and "Raindrops" by various sketchy sources)
    05 She Couldn't
    06 Carousel (Pre-EP Demo)
    07 Part of Me (Pre-EP Demo)
    08 And One (Apparently identical to its next two versions)
    (Notes: I have questions regarding some of the various versions of Pre-Hybrid Theory studio album songs, particularly the demos for Carousel and Part of Me, which I'll get to later)

"Album": Hybrid Theory EP
    Year:
    Track Listing:
    01 Carousel (EP version)
    02 Technique (Short)
    03 Step Up
    04 And One (Seemingly identical to both its pre-EP and post-EP demos)
    05 High Voltage (1999 version)
    06 Part of Me (EP version)
    07 Ambient (Also known as "Secret" or "Ambient/Secret"; hidden in the end of the 'Part of Me' track after a couple minutes of static)
    (Notes: I split the 'Part of Me'/'Ambient' track because the billions of hours of static annoyed me. I cut it to 20 seconds of static (before you freak out, I do have the original 12-minute version stored elsewhere).)

"Album": Hybrid Theory (2-track CD)
    Year: 1999 (It's worth noting that this was a super-busy year. 2000 as well.)
    Track Listing:
    01 Esaul (1999 'A Place for My Head' demo)
    02 By Myself (1999 demo 2)
    (Notes: I honestly have no idea if this version of 'By Myself' is different from SuperXero...)

"Album": Hybrid Theory Demos
    Year: 2000
    Track Listing:
    01 Untitled (2000 'In the End' Demo (Demo 2?))
    02 Points And Authority (2000 'Points of Authority" Demo (Demo 2?))
    03 Super Zero (2000 'By Myself' Demo (Demo 3??))
    04 Crawling (2000 'Crawling' Demo (apparently "Demo - Edit"... Demo 2?))
    05 Carousel (2000 Post-EP Demo)
    06 Part of Me (2000 Post-EP Demo)
    07 And One (again, apparently the same version as the previous two)
    08 Rhinestone (2000 'Forgotten' Demo (Demo 2))
    09 EsaĆ¹l (2000 'A Place for My Head' Demo (Demo 2?))
    (Notes: As you can clearly see, I am very much uncertain as to whether or not many of these demos are edits of their previous versions, or just re-releases. And as for 'Carousel' and 'Part of Me', I am convinced there are three versions of each (pre-EP, EP, and post-EP), and I do have two of each (I know which versions are the EP versions, but I don't know if the second versions are pre- or post-EP, respectively))

"Album": Hybrid Theory (6-track CD)
    Track Listing:
    01 Plaster ('One Step Closer' Demo)
    02 Papercut (2000 Demo)
    03 Crawling (Demo 3???)
    04 Points of Authority (Demo 3?)
    05 Dust Brothers ('With You' Demo)
    06 Untitled ('In the End' Demo 3?)
    (Notes: Again, unsure of how many versions of each exist. I am aware and have 1 demo of 'Crawling' (that's clearly distinguishable from the final version), 1 demo of 'In The End' (that's clearly distinguishable from the final version), 1 demo of 'By Myself' (that's clearly distinguishable from the final version), 1 demo of 'A Place for My Head' (that's clearly distinguishable from the final version), 2 demos of 'Forgotten' (that's clearly distinguishable from the final version, as well as each other (the Xero version included)), 2 demos of 'Points of Authority' (that's clearly distinguishable from the final version, as well as each other (the "talk show" and "sink or swim" versions))

"Album": Studio Finals 5/7/00
    Track Listing:
    01 Paper Cut
    02 Now I See ('With You')
    03 Points of Authority
    04 Plaster ('One Step Closer')
    05 Crawling
    06 Runaway
    07 The Untitled ('In The End')
    08 By Myself
    09 The Cure ('Cure for the Itch')
    10 The Cure for Mr. Hahn's Itch ('Pushing Me Away'; Also this has got to be the worst possible title for this song xP)
    11 A Place for My Head
    12 Forgotten
    (Notes: Aside from "The Cure", these tracks are virtually identical to their final Hybrid Theory versions, aside from sounding a tad watered down and being less refined. Therefore I don't care much for them, to be perfectly honest... (I don't like duplicates))

And now for some additional Pre-Hybrid Theory stsongs; ones I'm not sure where to place in the chronology:
    -Coal (an instrumental demo supposedly recorded by Xero, or at least created by Xero and later remastered for the LPU EP it appeared on years later)
    -So Far Away
    -Slip
    -Blue
    -Stick and Move (a brief instrumental demo sampled from the Xero song 'Stick N Move', and an instrumental demo to 'Runaway', apparently)
    -Oh No (an old instrumental demo of 'Points of Authority', or at least an instrumental demo that would be reworked into 'Points of Authority')
    -Vertical Limit ('Points of Authority' Demo (the "" version). NOTE: this is probably a renamed version of one of the other 'Points of Authority' demos, and not actually a different demo! (As with that one Crawling demo also being known as "Raindrops" and "Under Attack")
    -Sad (another brief instrumental demo; would later be reworked into 'By Myself', apparently)
    -Dedicated (this seems to be one of the more recent Hybrid Theory demos, given the recording quality compared to everything else. That, or it was just remastered for the LPU EP it would appear on years later, as I suspect is the case with 'Coal')

So, anyone care to help? The two main issues are: A) the number of versions of the pre-Hybrid Thoery demos (including 'Carousel' and 'Part of Me' from the EP), and one which respective discs they originally appeared; and B) where the non-CD/cassette demos above fit in between those demo CD's/cassettes.

(Later, I will make a post similar to this, but for the rest of LP's discography (I'll specifically be targeting the millions of Linkin Park rarities).

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Vertical Limit isn't an original name, some fan made it up. As you said, it's just one of the PoA demos. All other demos you named can be found on the LPU CDs.

1997: Coal
    1998: Slip, Blue, So Far Away, Stick and Move
    1999: Dedicated, Sad

Since Chester apparently joined in '99 , the vocals on Slip , Blue and So Far Away were probably recorded later.

Here's also some additional info on Slip and Blue: http://lpcatalog.com/content/items/lpu/lpu11/lpu11-cd_2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Do you not know where to download these? Most pre-HT demos and whatnot are on LPLive as exclusives. You've also left out the 7-track and 9-track demos from the list:

Linkin Park - Demos (7 Track) - 2000
    01. Untitled
    02. SuperXero
    03. Points And Authority
    04. Crawling
    05. Carousel
    06. Part Of Me
    07. And One

Linkin Park - Demos (9 Track) - 2000
    01. Untitled
    02. Points and Authority
    03. Super Zero
    04. Crawling
    05. Carousel
    06. Part Of Me
    07. And One
    08. Rhinestone
    09. Esaul

SPACE_LEMON

SPACE_LEMON Member

Thanks, Hans. ^^

@drpdrp97: The 9-track demo is listed, with that exact track listing. It's called "Hybrid Theory Demos". :| And what's your source for the 7-track demo? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere (and also it complicates things even more! ;_; ).

But I will check out LPLive, thanks.

Edit: Okay, I see the 7-track demo on LPLive. You sure it's authentic, though? All these downloads, I mean.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Captain-EO

Uh, the files on my computer? Lol.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Xero never got proper studio time until after Chester joined, and Slip/Blue definitely weren't recorded on Mike's cheap 4-track like the Xero demos were. Those songs were recorded in 1999, the dates are just wrong. Blame Mike's memory - he was convinced for years that Chester joined in 1998, even though Chester's confirmed that he recorded his audition tape on his 23rd birthday (March 20th, 1999), and Xero played their last known show with Mark Wakefield in December of 1998.

List of all available Linkin Park-related demos, accurate as of November 2014: http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=362&p=5014

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    Captain-EO

No, the admins on LPLive, dedicated to releasing exclusive Linkin Park content and recording the band's history, are releasing fake stuff...

If you think it's fake leave it alone. But I'm telling you it's not.

Adding to Astat's post, here's a comparison of the demo tracks. http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=362&page=10#entry191070

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    SPACE_LEMON

SPACE_LEMON Member

@drpdrp97: It's on the Internet. Therefore I will automatically have my doubts. No need for the condescending sarcasm. :|

Thanks, Astat. (I shouldn't have read your username out loud. o_o) The link and clarification are appreciated. :)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Assed Hat. :p

Ass Tat.

SPACE_LEMON

SPACE_LEMON Member

Lol. xP

Anyone know in-between which two other Hybrid Theory demo cd's the 7-track demo was recorded/released?