"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

The only elements of death metal it carries is the fact that there is a guitar, drums, bass, and a vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g (playback disabled for some reason)

There's death metal. Not to be confused with deathcore though.

2. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Genre is dead guys :shinado:

3. Captain-EO

I see what you did there :kappa:

4. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Well, War has a guitar solo. Victimised has a long scream. See the difference?

5. IronDust71

IronDust71 Well-Known Member

Just gonna leave this here.

[video=youtube;yQcjNjQ3Vyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQcjNjQ3Vyg[/video]

EDIT: Oh and... I'm really looking forward to Until It Breaks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

What i wanted to say, both are really short songs, like mostly punk songs. The screams and the guitar solo arent that important to it ;)

Captain-EO likes this.
  7. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

The posts for LT and THP are going to be a bit shorter than the earlier ones because a lot of these songs have not been played live and there isn't as much information on the recent ones.

8. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

That's debatable, at least for The Hunting Party material, as there's a lot of easily accessible quotes and information for that album as of now, unlike something from Minutes To Midnight or even Living Things. That and I'm passionate as hell about that album.

Also for everyone moaning about the death-metal inclusion - yes I know what the genre involves and exactly what it sounds like. I have since removed all unquoted death-metal references in the Victimized post.

You're all welcome.

9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Whatever you write is great man, don't let these kind of situations get to you. What you posted wasn't misinformation or something.

Not cool, guys.

10. Michele

I agree here with Filip, i mean we all know that Chester said something like that, maybe he isnt right, but he described the song in this way so you did all right.
    Dont see the point to delete it :shrug: I am sure Chester said it not just because he doesnt know better.

Captain-EO likes this.
  11. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

I feel bad now for making such a big fuss for simply throwing a joke out there =/

12. Michele

You shouldnt. :)

13. Captain-EO

:facepalm:
    How does that make any difference? It's still punk-influenced, goddammit.
    I'm speechless that there are actually standards of treating people here.

14. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Respect is there to be earned.

15. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

When I first listened to the album, Victimized was the only song I skipped. But then again, I was 12 and was so unbelievably closed minded, especially when it came to music. But now I love the song. It's just such a fun song to listen to.

The same can be said be said on Mike's remix. It's so damn good and so much fun to listen to. It's nice to just throw on a good pair of headphones or play the song through good speakers. Probably my favorite remix on Recharged tied with the Castle of Glass remix.

And Faint Into Pieces, just ignore the people criticizing you on your knowledge of what genre Victimized is apart of. Who gives a shit if your not 100% familiar with every single specific genre of music out there?

Captain-EO likes this.
  16. Atticus

It's just kind of insulting after taking time out of my already busy life to write these posts as best I can to give these songs justice and then people have the nerve to bicker about something so pointless rather than making a contribution to the thread.

Moving on, hope to finish Roads Untraveled tomorrow.

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You sound like you could use a massage

18. Atticus

ROADS UNTRAVELED
    “May your love never end, and if you need a friend, there’s a seat here alongside me”

100112-054533_ltvinyl.jpg

Roads Untraveled is the eighth track featured on Linkin Park’s LIVING THINGS. As far we know, that title was conceived even in the early days as a demo and stuck until release. The only real information we have on Roads Untraveled as a demo, was that it had a folky upbringing much like Castle Of Glass.

Transitioning from the violent Victimized, Roads Untraveled washes away the brooding rage in favour of a solemn message of love lost. Jingling samples ring in the ballad with a icy cold piano line. Shinoda is then ushered in for an earnest verse as he sings deeply about the winding bends we follow in life. Bennington hauntingly harmonizes thereafter as they serenade with words of wisdom upon a broken heart while a rising organ sound pierces the background.

Transpiring afterwards is a wordless chorus, impacted only by Bennington’s soulful wailing “ohhhhh”. His melody rises and falls much like an ocean tide alongside a crashing drum line by Bourdon and the ascending organ sounds. Nearing the end of the chorus, feedback from an electric guitar fades in, unpredictably pulling Roads Untraveled into an early breakdown. Linkin Park’s rock act takes over the folklore introduction for a riveting instrumental as the electric guitar rises and falls in a similar melody. Both Shinoda and Bennington rejoin the wall of distortion for another wordless refrain before the song returns to a folk-influenced bridge.

The solemn opening piano is heard once again, sharing spotlight with the jingling samples, as Bennington stands alone for a heartwarming moment that transcends Linkin Park’s history. With just a few small words, Linkin Park abandons the ignorance, the anger, and the frustration that has plagued their discography, by offering a hand to those listeners in need of friendship. The uplifting moment leads into a stiff moment of absolute silence before the song charges towards its conclusion. The guitars return for a triumphant wall of sound while Bennington wails again.

There’s a striking change to the final chorus. Although it sounds near identical to the previous one, this time it carries the uplifting tone of the bridge and Bennington’s friendly gesture. Suddenly the once-thought somber chorus is now recognized as a passionate uprising, much like that seen in A Thousand Suns’ Iridescent. Roads Untraveled plays the same role by drowning the darkness of the desolated introduction with an uplifting climax.

Lyrically, Roads Untraveled is mature concept for Linkin Park. The song looks at taking a relationship, whether it be loving or not, and realizing that the pain it’s giving is not worth the cost, and that it is time to let go. The mature factor comes from the fact that there’s no true anger or frustration in the letting go stage, or any other part of the song. Linkin Park has risen above the brooding angst and hurtful words this time for something truly inspiring.

Interestingly, the LPTV titled “Roads Untraveled” has nothing to do with the writing process or recording process of the song. Rather, it’s an intimate look at Linkin Park’s outlook on writing in general. The band is in a meeting with Rick Rubin, and they continue to throw different messages into the air. However, the meaning behind these messages remains the same – great music writing is always a mind-bending process. It’s never about a beginning and an end but rather the journey that the music and the people involved take in between. This message is essentially what Roads Untraveled strives to deliver.

On Recharged, Roads Untraveled (Rad Omen Remix feat. Bun B) begins as a dreamy electronic interpretation of the folky power ballad, with washy synths taking place of the solemn piano melody. Then like everything else in Recharged, the remix goes into an electronically charged dance anthem following a beat drop. The melodic, wailing chorus is edited heavily to add a sort of stuttering to the vocals, changing the entire melody. The guest vocalist Bun B comes into the apex of the song for a rap verse before the song repeats the dreamy-verse, electronic refrain formula.

LPA’s own remix collaboration RELIVING THINGS, has a beautifully atmospheric remix of Roads Untraveled, courtesy of “Confetti Parade x Shurpi” The remix chooses to emphasize the haunting intro vocals by Shinoda in particular, as a subtle, electronic beat plays among a dreamy soundscape. The remix reaches a stunning climax thanks to a gorgeous synth solo that might sound similarly at home on Robot Boy from A Thousand Suns.

Oddly enough, Roads Untraveled found relative success as a promotional song for the 2014 Need For Speed movie, nearly two whole years after the release of LIVING THINGS. However, the song never went on to become a single.

Roads Untraveled has yet to be premiered live in any shape or sound on stage. Unlike I’ll Be Gone, the song hasn’t really even been expressed as something the band has wanted to play live, which is a shame given the potential the song has. Imagine the crowd singing the melodic chorus alone acapella style? It’s a chillingly beautiful possibility.

Overall I find Roads Untraveled to be a sleeper hit. I hadn’t listened to Roads Untraveled myself in probably half a year, and I regret not listening to it more often. Although the blaring guitar walls may have been a little too much in favour of something like a folky acoustic rendition of the song, Roads Untraveled still delivers one of the most mature Linkin Park songs to date. The song is lyrically and melodically beautiful.

19. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Roads Untraveled is one I don't listen to often, but love it when I do listen to it. The guitar breakdown, simple as the guitar is, is terrific. This would be a really nice song for an acoustic session.

20. DanLinkinP

DanLinkinP Active Member

My thoughts the same to be exact

And I love the Reliving Things version, dat is real deep! It kinda reminds me of LOATR..
    I love it, and the original :D