"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I already made that joke. Step up :kappa:

Captain-EO likes this.
  2. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

*insert Technique joke here* :kappa:

3. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

TINFOIL: Don't care for this track, on par with Cure For The Itch and Sessions, both of which are also boring. Tend to skip this song a lot.

POWERLESS: Brilliant track. I actually recorded some vocals for it today. I really hoped they would play this and IBG live, but neither made the cut. Real shame. Everything from the vocal delivery to the piano to the drums, etc just comes together in a peaceful manner and builds into an epic anthem. Its usage with Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is actually pretty awesome, the music video just works in such a strong theatrical manner, tho the addition of footage from their Berlin show is random. Following up after the boredom that is UIB, this track brings you back on board for the ride one last time.

4. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

This is a good point. I rarely listen to Iridescent or The Little Things for example, yet they're far and away some of the best material the band has released.

5. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Tinfoil is the best interlude Linkin Park have made. I love the drums, the austinato piano in the background, the meloady, everything.
    Powerless is my favourite song on the album along with Lost In The Echo. It took me a while to notice that the reason it sounded doubled was because it was harmonised by Chester's really high and really unnoticable notes behind the main singing. I haven't even even listened to the acapella yet.
    Great song. In my LP favourites.

Now I'm hyped for The Hunting Party :p

6. Tocaraca

BTW, I love the Recharged remix, and hate the Reliving Things remix.
    Yep. I'm one of a kind. Fight me. :kappa:

7. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I love you Tocaraca

8. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Powerless is my second favorite track from Living Things (after In My Remains)... verses are pretty meh but everything else is amazing.

Anyway, is that Mike singing after the second chorus? What kind of effect did they use?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  9. Tocaraca

Which is ironic since your motto is 'i don't like u.'. :kappa:

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I don't listen to the band as much as I used to either, but they're by far still my favorite band. The thing is, when I listen to "When They Come For Me", I know I'll bump that song three times in a row at least, then go on to "The Catalyst", "Iridescent" and so on... I'll just end up listening to Linkin Park for a while. But when I listen to "Powerless", and it finishes, it's like... "okay, that was cool, let's listen to some NIN now".

Hope that clears it up a bit. It's not just listening to one song, it's whether that one song makes you want to hear the others.

11. Captain-EO

Give me a time and place :kappa:

12. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I love both of these songs. For the longest time, I thought Chester was saying, "but you were callous to let it fall" instead of, "but you were careless to let it fall". I kinda wish it actually was the former, as it sounds more mature to me, but "careless" does make more practical sense, and of course is much more "LP-ish". Would've been an interesting change in style though.

13. Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

"Bang bang, little monkey man playing, with the big guns..."

:kappa: Your playing with LPAs emotions of powerless

14. Captain-EO

I knew Tocaraca was a monkey all along.

15. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Tinfoil and Powerless are good, and they really need to be listened to together to get a full experience.

Tinfoil is a very good interlude, but it is essentially just a longer chorus for Powerless. I like the way that the drums are erratic until the "chorus" part of it (where Chester would start singing "and you held it all") and the tremolo guitar (?) on it. Also fun to play on piano, even though I barely ever play piano, I enjoy the short piece.

Powerless is also good, and it is right as a closer. The lyrics are solid here and Chester gives a great performance. Listen to the A Capella of that to get a good sound of the harmonizing. I want to hear the original 6 MINUTE demo version with the middle section to get an idea of how that might have ended up on ATS. But I think it is more appropriate here on LT unless the demo was more cohesive with ATS (which is possible).
    I would like to hear it live, but that is not happening, despite several members saying that they would play it live. Oh well, maybe we will get an acoustic/piano version someday.

As for the Abraham Linkin: Vampire Slayer spot, it was a bit wasted. All that we got out of it was a music video that was about 30% footage of the band performing, mostly just Chester.
    I'm gonna repeat Astat's words here and mention this: Notice how Brad is barely in that video? That's because he didn't play the guitar for the song and he didn't even know how! So they focused more parts on Mike for any guitar playing. Brad even looks like he is off for some of it.
    But then it got reused in the Power the World video which is nice.

So now let's do ALTNC, but I'd still like to give some time before we do THP because there isn't any new information coming on those songs, especially since nothing new is being performed with a cancelled tour.
    Maybe take some time to do random songs like *We Made It* and QWERTY?

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Both of these are prior to "Living Things", and "We Made It" isn't even a Linkin Park song. We'll just cover "A Light That Never Comes" and, then, wait.

EDIT:

OMG, same here! Just rarely ever the right time or place or w/ever to put on a Linkin Park song

17. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

ah, this makes sense. thanks for clarifying.

18. Tocaraca

In the shout box at the time 'right now'.

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Come at me bro.

20. Tocaraca

Sorry, you're late. I fought Tobin.