LPA Monthly Mix-Up March 2015: Dubstep / Hardstyle (Remixer's Choice)

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Mar 3, 2015.

zwieR.Z.

zwieR.Z. Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you are right. And that's pretty much the saddest thing about remixes.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Depends on your perspective. To me, "electronic music" is a vast umbrella, and the label still applies to varying extents even if not all the instruments involved are keyboards. :)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I just notice I wrote "dumbstep". Was not intentional but I'm laughing like an idiot right now. Hilarious typo.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Yer lying,Felipe...

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I don't like dubstep at all while I liked some other EDM stuff.

So, I'm guessing they aren't the same thing :lol:

So, making songs sound good in dubstep will be an extra challenge :kappa: You guys need to channel your inner Aoki.

But seriously though, all the best you guys :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    lukiaffe

lukiaffe Active Member

Thanks :) ! and yes, I agree with you about the vocals. But oh well, I`ll just hope that it isin`t going to bother anyone too much.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

*eats popcorn*
    Guys... guys... *chews popcorn* Its just one months theme.
    *takes another popcorn* next month... *slurp on the coke* there will be another mmu theme so..
    *swallows* keep calm. its not like dubstep will be here for years.
    Also i believe seen that there are subgenres, people who think they dislike everything of dubstep, will like some tracks.
    Also i want to add something very important. The MMU itself started of with Dubstep. Why is that so important?
    Its a challenge to make dub fit to LP. And people liked that back in 2011 aswell. Thats how important it was. With that MMU - doors to other themes became possible. A reboot for one month is not that bad. Yes i do like dubstep and its probably my fav. genre. But - im talking in a neutral way. I found the MMU because it was dubstep and stuff. The same thing happens to other genres. Just keep calm guys. Let the remixers so their thing. If you are interested in listening - listen. If you are interested in remixing - remix. If not - dont do anything. Its not like other themes were my favorite. Some themes were there and i was like "meh... not my thing, dont participate" but thats all. The hate which is going on here is because dubstep is - lets face it - a big thing since some time in the music genre. Or let me say in the EDM scene. Let this month pass by and just wait. I would like that you guys see this text in the most neutral way. :)

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I think you guys are paid by LP to convince us somehow to buy Recharged :kappa:

Captain-EO likes this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Wow... Where were all of these suggestions about what theme we should do when we specifically asked for it last year? I mean, seriously, guys. We have asked for and have been open to your feedback on the MMU's and we mostly get a "meh" response. Put out a Dubstep MMU and you guys lose your minds. Derek, we really should have done that Polka theme, man.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

:shifty:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yeah it's like, you guys wanted MMU to come back...I bring back a theme that is probably a bit easier than most to do, and we have two wasteful pages discussing how this is a sucky theme to choose.

It's one month. Contribute or not, that's your choice. But if you feel its a bad option, suggest some themes for next month.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This. I'm not usually a big fan of dubstep, but I do enjoy some of its subgenres. Dubstep has such a wide range of different sounds that it's not really fair to just discredit the entire genre and all of its subgenres. Plus, you don't like the theme of this month? Just sit out for a month. It's impossible for admins here to please everyone's musical taste.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I'm gonna go with what I suggest EVERY month, orchestra. :)

I don't think it's a bad option though, I just sat out 'cuz it's just not my jive, y'know?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Like I said previously in terms of theme suggestions:

- Vapourwave/chillwave (sample-based music)
    - Ambient/atmospheric
    - Jazz & Hip-hop fusion (can use artists like Flying Lotus as examples)
    - Psychedelic (general, not necessarily rock)
    - Organic/raw
    - Orchestral/Movie Score
    - Experimental
    - Multi-instrumental Pop (example would be Julian Casablancas)
    - Punk Electro (may have already had this with the theme concerning the band Justice, but would be great to bring it forward again. DIOYY's remix of "The Catalyst" is a good example of this sound)
    - Acoustic / Minimalistic (both electronic and organic, examples for electronic can include Andy Stott, Burial.)
    - New Wave (Countless examples like Talk Talk, Astrocowboys etc)
    - Polka ?

Got more suggestions where those came from but I think it's a good starting point. As I also mentioned previously you could have the community vote on the next topic to gauge on what the number of submissions could be and how engaged people will be with the theme :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm seriously considering Polka. :p

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Orchestral Polka hybrid.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Really digging those first two options, MagmaXtreme. Get on it immediately, Derek!

Captain-EO likes this.
    MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Thanks! Personally I have a taste for that kind of music too :)

In terms of Chillwave / Vapourwave, the song below is a good example of what I mean, though note that the genre is expansive and there's wide range of songs that sound like they're from other genres:

[video=youtube;X-ebZt_plw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ebZt_plw0[/video]

It samples this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVpQKGjn-c

Derek, Hybrid, would you consider this kind of thing for an MMU?

zwieR.Z.

zwieR.Z. Well-Known Member

Over the years I pretty much got used to the fact that almost every single remix contest is about electronic music. And since dubstep and EDM are probably the most popular genres, the return of one of them shouldn't be such a big deal.
    However, I do find it weird that after so many months we still didn't have a proper rock theme, which seems like one of the most obvious ones. Yes, it would be a challenge (from my experience producing rock is WAY more difficult than producing electronic music) but still, I think such popular and wide genre deserves a chance.
    Orchestral theme is also a great suggestion and I actually expected it to appear this time.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think this MMU is different enough. The last time we chose Dubstep as the theme, it was highly conventional as was articulated in the original post. This month's MMU gives people more freedom to explore the other sub-genres situated within Dubstep. There are many usual suspects for these MMUs that have never contributed dubstep entries, so this is also an opportunity for them to do so.

Think as well about how at the time, The Hunting Party had not been released. I think a lot of songs on that album could produce some very interesting dubstep remixes, especially considering the accessibility of instrumentals and vocal tracks.

Plain and simple - we have asked for suggestions before, and we always welcome them and take them into consideration. I'm disappointed that now, when people face a genre that gives them this knee-jerk reaction, they are more than willing to scold us for a lack of innovative and diverse themes. Even more so, why is it that people are more than willing to take the time to complain than to give constructive feedback to the staff that administer these MMUs? It's a trend on this forum (and others) that people's first option is to antagonize before they think about how they could seek change in more positive ways.

Concluding point: You don't have to participate, in the conversation or in the competition itself. Like we've always said, some MMUs are for some people and are not for others. That's fine. We respect that and appreciate when people would rather save their efforts for genres they are more interested in pursuing. What we don't appreciate is when people use their energy to disrespect. Think about the people who are participating who may actually love the genre and will put a lot of time into the remixes they contribute. It's disrespectful to them too.