Would they be where they are today without Don Gilmore?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Queef, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Agreed, I'd say I did a very good job. Way to go, me.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Rofl

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Not trying to come across as rude, but you can dislike someone's production without having to be able to do a better job yourself. Just because someone doesn't have their own unique production style on a remix album doesn't mean that they can't have an opinion on what kind of production they enjoy. More importantly, you can dislike someone's work while still accepting that it's done well. Don Gilmore played a crucial role in creating one of the best selling records ever, he obviously does what he does very well.

I actually agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, though, and what you're giving out about is actually one of my biggest pet-peeves about "music fans" in general, that pop music is instantly inferior to all other genres. That being said, I think that this thread isn't really so much about how experimental music is better, Than it is about how some of us think that the experimental music that was cut from the album would have actually improved it. You say that it wouldn't have, fair enough, but he didn't objectively made crawling "infinitely better" by making it more traditional, eg. by removing that rap verse. Maybe that rap verse is what would have drawn me back to that song? Crawling was my least favourite song by the band for a long time, maybe that rap verse would have helped me to like it more, who knows? In fact, the only reason why I was drawn back to Hybrid Theory and LP in general, and not similar "poppy but heavy" bands like Blink 182 was because of those unique aspects, mainly rapping, the fact that the songs weren't traditional rock songs I could get from any other band. I'm even saying this as someone who loves pop music, LP's strength for me is in their ability to incorporate different styles and genres. If I want good, poppy catchy music, I have loads of other bands I could listen to, many of which I adore. But the common theme is that every "poppy" group that I listen to all offer something more, something that makes me want to listen to that band and not any other band. There's nothing wrong with a well written pop song, but a pop song with something special added to it, be it rapping, orchestration, or two and a half minutes of "superfluous bullshit", is something special. That's what people mean here. The songs the band wrote for HT were always going to be pop songs, Don Gilmore didn't change that, and they're actually quite unique ones too, due to the hip hop elements. However, some of us would have liked those songs to be even more unique than they were. It mightn't have worked out, they mightn't have been as good. But maybe they could have pulled it off. They certainly have pulled it off later in their career. Anyway, I think the LP fan base is most accepting of pop music than most other fan bases. :lol:

Blackee Dammet

Wasn't the point I was making, though. I'm saying that in the rush to bash the man for an overtly "radio friendly style" (and, donkey dick jokes aside, that is the overall criticism of him) that some of his changes to pre-established songs actually improved them tremendously, even if a case could be made that his influence also was a calculated effort to make them readily accessible for mainstream replay (the difference/improvement to the Crawling demo to the final album version). Maybe you would have liked a polished up version of the demo, I opted for what they ended up doing.

The comparison to fan made remixes wasn't a taunt for the to do better and blasting them for failing to do so, I enjoy most of them. But they are an example that a lot of the people here have a very specified image of what makes for a "good" song and that those too can fall into a trap of being formulaic even if they're not 'traditional'. Which is true.

According to an old- albeit unsourced it's from a website that came way before 'Gilmore hate'- the opposite was actually true; they went into with the idea to make a heavier album but then liked what he did with the material.
    I'm sort of confused by the last part of your post, do you think I'm saying the band should have been a straight up pop group? That's not what I was getting at all. The pop aspects are good because they pieces of a whole.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

None of y'all posts makes sense.

Blackee Dammet

They're all incredibly specific, what about them isn't making sense?

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I think Don Gilmore is a good producer for bands that are just starting out/making their first record, whatever you want to call it. He ran his course with Linkin Park and the band moved on from Don at the right time.

Now, take one of my favorite bands Lacuna Coil for example, I don't think Don was good for them or for anyone who is already established/been around for awhile. I don't know everything Don has worked on, but I know in the case of the example I gave, I feel he made that particular band worse.

Just my opinion though.

GraveDigger388

That was a classy way of saying tl;dr.

Blackee Dammet

Ah, so just being a twat then.

GraveDigger388

Like you don't know this place.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

pfsh lol

Blackee Dammet

True, I guess I'm just holding out for the day when a bunch of people well into their 20s act like something besides "babbys first message board".

GraveDigger388

The hell is "babbys"?

Queef

Queef Banned

youve done nothing but make yourself look like a douche with your cocky comments and plugging your music while saying you are superior to others because produce, your comments are never gonna be deleted from the internet so you just made yourself look bad for the sake of showing off

LOL you rekt yourself

p.s. don gilmore is a better producer than you will ever dream of being so what is your point hahahaha

every time someone calls you out you say -but everyone acts like an ass round here

you have zero wit, stop trying to act like Minus

true, this is only person in the thread who is sensible

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

You trully are a complete and utter asshole. No wit needed to be included, not long paragraphs to back up this statement. I was neutral towards you before and wasn't so quick to jump on the hate train, but these statements you just typed really show your true nature. So please, I'll say this one last time, shut the fuck up. You are really making an embarrassment of yourself.

Queef

Queef Banned

your the one who swore, i havent been swearing so haha you also rekt yourself, get out of my thread and stop using that language towards me please

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

Blackee Dammet

Queef

Queef Banned

GraveDigger388

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.