The Visionaries w/ Mike Shinoda demo surfaces

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Nov 2, 2015.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

That old-school vibe, I dig it

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

Is that necessarily a bad thing? I like the style of rap he uses now. Although I frequently listen to the Untitled In the End demo, I can't say definitively that it is better than the HT In The End, and that is my favourite song of the "old Mike" rapping. I think Carousel also has some of the best 'old' raps.

Songs like High Voltage or Until It Breaks, the lyrics literally mean nothing to me, so sure they use a wider vocabulary, and are less 'simple', but I don't really like that. I think songs like Faint, In The End, and By Myself are some examples of great, but simple, raps.

the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

Meh. Songs like High Voltage, Reading My Eyes, and now this demo are fun to listen to because they sound cool, but they don't have anything going for them except the word play. Mike has already said the HV was just to show his skills, RME was just a test of how fast he could rap, etc. He has great wordplay on songs like Welcome and Wastelands, but those verses actually make sense.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

wow amazing

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Always to cool to hear old stuff like this, but this is really boring track imo.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

As Mathieu kind of said, Mike likely doesn't use the same type of wordplay as he did in the old days because he probably doesn't feel like he has to impress anybody anymore :shrugs:. His band is one of the most (if not still the most) popular bands on Facebook. Their YouTube is over a billion views total. They sold a ridiculous amount of records early in their career, and can still place within the Top 5 when they release a record even with losing a portion of their fan-base when they changed their sound. He probably just doesn't feel like he has to go to extreme lengths to impress people anymore with his rap lyrics. He made his statement on songs like It's Going Down and High Voltage, and on certain tracks on the FM: We Major mixtape. There's no need to prove anything anymore.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

After a second listen, I noticed a lot more wordplay not just from Mike but from the other Visionaries as well. Some verses sound a little awkward to me while others flow really well. Since this is an unfinished demo, it makes sense that timing and rhythm wouldn't be ironed out completely.

This is probably wishful thinking but would it be possible for someone to send a request to 2MEX to release stems or even the instrumental of this song if it is received well enough? I really want to hear just the instrumental due to its chill, atmospheric vibe.

Also, I wonder what the full story behind this song is and why it was never finished and released. It definitely shows promise and could have gone in an interesting direction, especially if the lyrics were going to be dark and gritty IMO.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I would say that Shinoda's really working on being emotive now and resonating with listeners, rather than just trying to be technically impressive. Sometimes, he strikes a nice balance

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

On the other hand you have songs like KTTK and AFN, which make even less sense than RME or HV. I think overall his rapping on the first four albums makes much more sense lyrically than anything on the most recent two. In terms of flow, while I respect songs like UIB, I personally don't enjoy his work on LT or THP as much as I enjoy his work on the first four albums (+ HT demos), but obviously that's just personal taste.

It's funny, I rarely listen to HT or Meterora any more, but the one thing I'm still in love with from that era is Mike's rapping. :lol:

Xero-G

After much thought, I'd have to say that I still prefer Mike's "old school" rapping technique(s) over his current style and technique. I still like what he's been putting out, though, as he still can convey a personal message in certain lines when he's not going into "attack mode" at his rivals, opponents, etc.

Even if Mike relied more on wordplay and intricate rhyming in the old days, something still really appeals to me about that style of rap. I can still discover a message or meaning depending on my current mood or overall feelings when listening to songs like Part of Me, And One, and High Voltage (to name a few).

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Am I like the only person who genuinely enjoys Mike's recent rapping style?

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

NO.
    "One thing, I don't know why" Mike <<< "Try to catch up motherfucker" Mike

minuteforce

"Until It Breaks" and "When They Come For Me" are two of my favourite LP songs. :) Definitely prefer them to stuff like "Figure.09"

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Totally agree. I really don't like a lot of the HT/Meteora rapping, with a few exceptions like Forgotten and APFMH. It all sounds really blocky to me.

minuteforce

I'm picky anyway. There's a lot of the post-2004 rap-heavy LP songs which I don't like. But, like with anything when it comes to LP, when it's good, it's really good.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Stuff like UIB, Welcome, AFN, his verses on Recharged, etc just sold me. Mike's skills now are way superior to his younger days. HV and RME are the only songs that impressed me during his more youthful days. Tbh, I don't really care for his rapping on the first FM record. It sounds so bland alongside Styles of Beyond.

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

I love his raps in Burn It Down, Lost in the Echo and All For Nothing.

I like the first verse of WTCFM, but not the second. Also I don't like Until It Breaks. I kinda go on a song by song basis rather than just "new Mike" vs "old Mike"

minuteforce

Pretty much the same with me, but, yeah, I'm way more inclined to like newer stuff.

Xero-G

Like I said before, I still enjoy Mike's current direction with rapping, especially for the symbolism found in songs like Victimized, Until it Breaks, All For Nothing, Wastelands, and A Line in the Sand. What I really want to hear is this symbolism mixed with the more intricate wordplay found in earlier songs from the Hybrid Theory EP and HT Demos Era.