What can we expect on LP7?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Nov 16, 2015.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

"pseudo-concept dystopian album based on electronic music"

C'mon dude I fucking love that album but that's just over the top.

"Folk music"

Two or three songs influenced by folk, one of which is a fucking electonic banger.

*GradeAUnderA voice*: settle down now.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

To be fair, the only thing I'd disagree with in that sentence is "dystopian", which isn't too over the top.

Of all their albums, I don't think it's fair at all to criticise ATS for a lack of musicianship or even compositional complexity. The former isn't really necessary on that style of album and would just ruin the entire feel IMO (as opposed to an album like THP, where it would only enhance it in almost every regard), while the latter, even though it could add a lot, it could still run the risk of bloating out the album and again, ruining the whole feel. I love bands like Radiohead as much as the next guy, but there's a reason why I keep coming back to ATS, sometimes just a little bit of poppy simplicity and strong melodies completely trumps compositional complexity (unusual time signatures, harmony, modulatons etc.), and IMO ATS is definitely one of those times. Just my 2 cents. ;)

(I know that's you're not disputing this, just wanted to have a bit of a rant :lol:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

In regard to an LP progressive rock album: While I love progressive rock, and think LP could create some good music in the genre, I don't think Mike and/or Chester's voices would sound very good for it. Just my opinion.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Good points. I don't personally feel that it's too much of a detriment and I think virtually every track on the album is good. :)

I also think that the way the band integrated folk influences into songs on "Living Things" was alright and at least showed good potential. I felt that "Devil's Drop" was a decent step up from those songs

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

It would be more interesting if the band continue this "XVLP" theme for LP7.. As Mike mentioned, "X" Versus LP, the band can collaborate with different artist with different genre and infuse it in their sound. Like for example, they can work with Tom Morello again for a rock track or Timbaland for a hip-hop production, even an EDM track with Martin Garrix, Paul McCartney for a Beatles-inspired song (see Waiting for the End). They already pulled it off with Rebellion, All for Nothing, GATS and Drawbar.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

While this would be interesting, I honestly wouldn't like this on a proper studio album. I'd more like to hear what LP are doing themselves, not what they do with other artists. Maybe on an "special" album like Reanimation, Collsion Course and so on.

limonpower

Agreed

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I don't know enough about progressive rock or what defines it as a genre, so I can't comment on LP hypothetically taking on said genre.

However, I will say what I think every time a new LP album is in the works or is about to release: expect the unexpected. That is all.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Real songwriting and real lyrics would be pretty unexpected ...

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

What do you mean by real songwriting? I was never under the impression that LP used some other method that wasn't real :lol:

I do get what you mean about lyrics, though LP has really surprised us before.

limonpower

I really want to hear some more technical Mike raps that aren't about how good of a rapper he is, because based on his more recent stuff, he really isn't that great (lyrically speaking).

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

They're most likely going to do an Anal Cunt tribute album.

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

He isn't great in any sense of what makes a great rapper.

limonpower

He has a good flow (see Reading My Eyes) and can write good raps (see And One). If he could just combine the technicality of And One with the flow of Reading My Eyes, he could really prove himself as a rapper (IMO)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Songs are 18 years old and 16 years old. One can literally drink and drive by now. The dude's level right now is "Welcome".

Don't get me wrong, I love Mike, he's my favorite musician. I love Linkin Park, they're by far my favorite band. I love "Welcome". But people are so stuck on trying to prove something that they use examples from 20 years ago. Mike isn't a very good rapper today, and that is okay. He's an excellent singer, producer, artist, person, whatever. But c'mon.

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

I don't think he has to be technical or fast in order to be good. I think his raps like "Faint" "Bleed It Out" and "Lost in the Echo" sound great and really help complete the song. I don't know why his "level" matters, what matters is how the raps fit into the song. Would a really fast, complex rap work in a song like AFN? Not really, and I love the way the raps sound in that song. Mike is the only rapper I enjoy listening to, so I would consider him to be a very good rapper. Sometimes the best isn't the fastest, but the one who uses his speed the best.

Also, I thought his rap in Keys to the Kingdom was pretty fast and technical, definitely better than anything in Welcome.