Teens and sense of reality

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by GuliaLuna, Nov 22, 2015.

GuliaLuna

GuliaLuna Well-Known Member

Wow I haven't been on here for long. I am having problems right now and if any of you have been in the same position that would be great.

So I am 16. I am a junior. I go to a vocational school studying computers. This week was the last week for freshmen exploratory (that's when freshmen explore 7 shops and chose 3, then they get into one of the ones they chose.)
    And it hasn't been a good week. I was sent for three days in a row to help the freshmen. Friday wasn't a good day, we were doing printers and the juniors had a hard time, with the same issue. We couldn't get one thing to install. I had the same issue as well. So the head teacher, saw me struggling. Let me add in that he didn't bother to know what the issue was for all of us. So he then replaces me with someone who has done it before, no big deal. But then he accused me of not helping. In which, was not true at all. I was there for three days and on that Friday I did whatever I could have done to help them. He is not the best teacher. He doesn't seem to understand the material he is teaching us. We are doing networking and he is not even certified fully in networking. So because of that, we all end up failing when taking a test, the good thing is, that the online course we take gives us two other tries also.

My teachers seem to be concerned with me, they feel as if my sense of reality is skewed. Little do they know that I'm still trying to figure out things. I am 16 going through life. I'm pretty sure that when you guys were sixteen you had no idea how to handle situations and stuff. I am always being pulled in different directions. And the reality is, too many teens are being pushed in different ways and they don't know what to do. I am going to let them know that I appreciate their concern and that I am still trying to figure out things. I know that I want to go to a college and have an IT career. I know what I wanna do. I wanna go to a technical college, I wanna work too. But I know I may change my mind. I don't misbehave in school. I dont pick on others. I stand up for what is right. I know between right from wrong. I treat my teachers and elders with respect. I just feel as if they don't know that I am still trying to figure out things. I wonder if they forgot what it was like to be 16. But then again, their day was different. I know Im not gonna get accepted into every college, I know that it will be expensive and that I will have to live there. I know I have to keep on applying and that professors will expect tons from you. I know I might get hate for this because I know that the world can be a cruel place. I know how mean people can be. I know that people are trying to help me. Im sorry for the long post its just that too much is going on right now.

My question is: when you were a teenager, when you were confronted with a difficult situation in which it involved an imperfection you had, how did you fix it?

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Jesus, wow. When I was in high school, when you failed a test, you failed a test. There were no second (or third!) chances. If this is the norm in schools now, then students are going to be woefully unprepared for the real world where there are no do-overs.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

For my school, my Chem class has retakes and my math class has test corrections (which grant a maximum of half the points back). It's really depending on the school, teacher, class, etc. I can imagine my math classes (I lump Chem in with math) have retakes and corrections mostly because you can know the material but just make some stupid mistakes. Sure, that's not how reality works, but then again, it's only high school. We're still learning.

GuliaLuna

GuliaLuna Well-Known Member

Then they complain that were not prepared for the real world. Since I wanna do technology there is so many options. I'm looking into web design, cyber security and networking. The last two I mentioned you need college, unless you have taken an online networking course and gotten certifications. For web design it goes two ways, you go to college and learn code, or you learn it yourself and find a job. That's what my dad told me since he does computers too. First I'm being told I only need certifications and now I am being told I need college. I have been told this for so long that I have no idea what to think. I know its all up to me. The good thing is I have a plan. I know I might get rejected but oh well. I also try to pass on the first try. Last time I did! :)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Truth be told, I'm 31 and I still have no idea on how to handle some things. When this happens, I fly by the seat of my pants and then change accordingly to step up to whatever challenge I need to.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Well, we have a society that looks upon anybody below 90% and who doesn't do science as idiots here so the system might be forgiving and lenient with the marks sometimes but the society ain't. And man, college admission cutoffs are the worst. Also wouldn't a 2 be a failure as well?

---

I understand your part about not having a well qualified teacher. Personally, I have plenty of experience with that, haha. At that point I think it is important to just score as much as you can and try to learn on your on, no point dwelling on the shortcomings of the teacher or the curiculum, its best not to become disillusioned. I've come to the point where I think everything I do and experience makes me learn something so life seems a lot more interesting now.

Also nice to see you're studying computers, I'm personally doing computer science engineering too. :) Best of luck with that!