Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 1, 2014.

1. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I actually felt a little bit of Michael Giacchino style in Rey's theme, myself. Definitely not throughout the whole thing, but just little moments. Not surprising considering how close he is with JJ. Perhaps this caused a bit of influence. Or maybe Giacchino is influenced by Williams and it's just recursion :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Rey's theme(The Scavenger version too) and The Jedi Steps are incredible.

There was a deleted scene where Kylo Ren finds the Falcon and sits in the cockpit and feels all sorts of things(from the novelization). So much was cut. All those snowspeeder toys are because there was a snowspeeder scene that was cut.

Not to be confused with the Empire Strikes Back snowspeeder

[​IMG].

3. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I enjoyed the movie. Didn't think it was terrible or a masterpiece as a lot of others seem to think but I guess I was less emotionally invested in it. I liked all of the characters, wished Lupita's character was on for a bit longer but there's plenty of time for that in the next movies I suppose.

Regarding the thing you mentioned, Michele. It was Finn's first mission(?) right? Before, the guy worked in sanitation. So, he didn't really realize the seriousness of everything until he was on the planet with all the civilians being ruthlessly killed and his fellow stormtrooper dying and marking his (Finn's) helmet with his blood. I don't think it was because of his "humanity". I guess he realized how expendable all lives were to the first order. He was trained from birth but it wasn't hard to see through it. It wasn't a dramatic realization by any means, I thought it was well done.

I didn't really like how Poe came back but I think that served a purpose. So, when Poe comes back we kinda let our guard down. It made the movie seem forgiving. But that made Han dying a bit more brutal. I think that was one of the strongest moments of the movie, the emotion in that scene was great. I thought the exchange between them was great as well.

Also the movie didn't really dramatize the new weapon anyway, it wasn't really all that high stakes and the movie didn't really focus on it as the major plot point, so I don't understand why people are upset at that. I thought even if the republic was wiped out by it, the others simply would've continued their quest to find Luke.

4. Elaine

Are you sure it was a deleted scene and not something just put in for the novelization's sake?

5. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Novelizations are based on the finalized script and take a while to write. Considering we know the movie could've been longer and had at least 15 minutes cut from the theatrical cut, I think it's safe to say the novelization is a good indication of what was on the cutting room floor.

Not to mention the design of the toy had to come from somewhere, and they'd be saving a lot of money by using a design that had already existed rather than come up with a BRAND NEW speeder for a novelization. They don't make toys for novels. They make toys for movies.

In review, that's 3 pieces of official evidence that indicate deleted scenes. The novel indicates scenes from the script, merchandise indicates unseen scenes, and word of God from JJ indicates scenes didn't make the final cut. If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and tastes like a fish, it's a fish.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  6. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

This movie... blew me away. I could not be more happy with how it turned out. The action, the character moments, the story, the pacing, the emotional beats and arcs are damn near perfectly executed. They took all the elements that made the original trilogy so memorable and more or less stuck to that formula and it worked! Only the scale feels much bigger because of advancements in technology. The three new actors portray their respective roles brilliantly with a lot of charisma and earnestness. It's fun, high octane, suspenseful and cinematic but also has a lot of heart just like the original trilogy. They couldn't have set up this new story any better imo.

Its easily one of my most memorable theater going experiences period.

I don't understand why people claim this is a complete rehash. Sure the overarching plot is pretty simple but if you look deeper there were so many new ideas here. I can't find any similarity between any of the old characters and Rey/Finn. Their motivations feel so fresh. Even the villain was interesting and not just because he's Solo's kid but because he's still a rookie and there's still a lot more to learn about his motivations etc. in the upcoming films. The new additions are strong enough to carry the rest of the films on their own.

As a film trying to tie up old story threads and introduce new ones I think they did a commendable job.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  7. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

:hmm:

[video=youtube;4mjFfdrTJrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mjFfdrTJrQ[/video]

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Is the novelization good in any way? I remember Revenge of the Sith's novelization being 1000x better than the movie.

9. Elaine

Right, but novellizations also take liberties with the source material. We can't exactly tell what constitutes a cut scene vs what constitutes something the author thought was cool.

10. Minus

For some novelizations, yes. But this is Star Wars. In the old EU (and with the new) they had/have what is endearingly called a Holocron, which is made up of everything in the current EU and a council of sorts to determine if something is allowed to be in canon or not.

With the reset of the EU, everything is fresh. Also, anything that comes out now is considered canon and when you have that huge of a responsibility, you can't just go willy-nilly and add shit just because you think it's cool. It has to fit with what Disney wants in their overall narrative and it is more likely that the scene was filmed and left on the cutting room floor than the author of the first canon novelization since the reset growing a pair and adding something THAT important that isn't in the vision of the product.

Example: In the old EU, a character was killed by the word of God because he found it too confusing for casual readers. Specifically, Han and Leia had a kid named Anakin Solo that was killed off because Lucas thought it'd be confusing to have two characters named Anakin.

He also had to approve the killing off of Chewbacca during the Yuuzhan Vong arc.

TL;DR, there's a huge vetting process for anything that is put in these books, and with the evidence we have, it's more likely that this was a cut scene than an author's creativity.

Also *novelization.

11. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

So when Phasma is explaining that Finn went in to get reconditioned there's a screen with a picture of Finn as a kid and what I'm assuming is personal information in Star Wars language. I wonder if it has anything important in it.

Also, when Rey asks BB-8 who he is or what he's doing (I forget exactly what she says) he says it's classified. Rey then replies that her mission or identity is classified as well. So wouldn't that mean that she knows who she is? As in who left her, etc?

12. Minus

It was a joke.

13. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Y'all are crazy, the score is fantastic. Just because there isn't some "Hey, look at me, look how epic I am!" tracks like Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes doesn't make it not good. This is classic John Williams. I am in love.

Captain-EO likes this.
  14. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

To add on to what Minus said, the Star Wars movie novelizations don't take liberties with the source material at all. They're almost direct translations of the movie scripts themselves, aside from things like extended dialogue, which have to be approved anyway. The only liberties that are taken are when the author has to describe things that otherwise aren't described in the script but are clearly visually apparent in the movie itself. So for example, the script might say something about how a character's walking through a dark room and that's all it describes, but the set designers actually design a set for the character to walk through, because there's a good chance it's not going to be pitch-black to the point where you're unable to see anything at all. The author's going to describe the set from the movie itself. Other than that, there are no liberties taken whatsoever.

15. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This. A movie having parallels to another does not make it a rehash nor does it make it lazy. The fact that the prequels had almost no parallels to the original trilogy was a huge issue with the majority of the fans of the original trilogy. And now you sit here and criticize The Force Awakens for having parallels to the original trilogy? No. That's just wrong.

As for choreography of the lightsaber fights. It made sense that the fights in the prequels like the one between Anakin and Obj-Wan were over the top and felt almost choreographed because these were extremely skilled Jedis with many years of experience and training. These newer lightsaber fights had to feel visceral and gritty because here was Kylo Ren, with very little experience in lightsaber duels and two people who never used a lightsaber before. And I loved these new fights. Definitely one of my favorite duels.

Captain-EO likes this.
  16. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

With Rian Johnson directing episode 8 I'm sure we'll be in for a roller coaster ride

17. Agent

After the prequels came out people wanted something similar to the originals, with the same charm and adventure. Now when that is given to them, they are still not satisfied. Make up your goddamn mind people!

As for the fight scenes, I think it hearkens back to how lightsaber duels felt in the originals. It is less about skills and more about the emotional weight behind the fights. When Luke got the best of Vader in the saber duel there was no skill involved. He was just letting out his anger by flailing at him. The prequels completely went in the opposite direction and made the fighting feel more like a highly choreographed dance routine than an actual fight with weight behind it.

18. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

No amount of skill and experience can make the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight make any fucking sense in the slightest, holy shit that fight is ridiculous.

19. Agent

Anybody else think that Mark Hamill has already shot his parts for episode VIII? I don't think he lost all that weight just for that one cameo at the end.

20. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

At this point I couldn't care less about Rogue One. We need episode 8.