Mike Shinoda Interview with Pensado's Place at NAMM 2016

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Feb 4, 2016.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

A few days ago, Pensado's Place uploaded their interview with Mike Shinoda to YouTube and Soundcloud. In the lengthy interview recorded at NAMM 2016, Mike discusses a wide array of topics - from his background to scoring The Raid: Redemption and working with Rick Rubin. He also talks about the way the band writes and produces music. The most interesting thing for many will be the bits of info he gives on the new album, for which he mentions they are a few months into the writing process. He says the band is fully concentrated on finding the right melodies, words, keys and tempos this time around, and that he can't wait to get into dissecting and finishing each track. He also mentions the band have been working with some other songwriters for the first time, basically confirming our earlier story about the band being in the studio with Jon Green. Watch the video below or listen to the podcast on Soundcloud.

[video=youtube;J9DGZGIn9LU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9DGZGIn9LU[/video]​

What did you think of the interview? What did you find the most interesting? Anxious to hear the new music the band is working on? Join the discussion in our forums!

Source: YouTube via sasuke4545

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I'll have to watch it later, but it sounds interesting. Hope they genuinely are a few months into the writing process, I want them to spend as long as they need in studio but I'm dreading the wait. Can't wait to hear the result in a few months time! :D

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I could listen to Mike talk all day. He really loves what he does. It's very pleasant to see. And from what he has mentioned about the new album, he sounds really happy with how it's going. I don't think he has sounded this pleased with the direction of an album this early.

deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

This one kind of bothers me. I know it's perfectly common in music and many of the greatest acts (including some I really enjoy) have used additional songwriters, but I don't like the idea of Linkin Park not writing their music by themselves. It's just that I'm used to them writing their own stuff and they've proven to be capable of doing it.

Anyway, I guess I would be okay with it if the record turns out to be incredible.

Austin Vicenty

Austin Vicenty No Longer Active

A different song writer is quite exciting to me because we may hear something completely fresh and different from Linkin Park! Of course it has to come out good but the band has never let me down, personally.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I mean, it could mean we won't get an album filled with lyrics like "I WANNA SEE YOU CHOKE ON YOUR LIES" or "I'M MY OWN, CASUALTY, I FUCK UP EVERYTHING I SAY, FIGHTING IN FUTILITY"

Honestly, I see this as nothing but a good thing :lol:

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Well, I can understand why it could be a bad thing, but I think a breath of fresh air is welcome in this circumstance.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

um, wasn't it said that Daron first wrote the guitar parts for Rebellion and the band built the rest of the song off of that? Pretty sure that's working with another song writer.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I think (i.e "i hope") they mean lyrically, but I could be mistaken.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

The interview was quite nice, but it made me realize again how rarely we get interviews with the other band members. Mike is kinda omnipresent right now, there's always a nice update from him.
    But Chester was so stoked by the songwriting some weeks ago on Twitter, I'd like to hear some more information from him.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

THE WARNINGS WERE TRUE ▲▲▲

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

THE END OF THE DAYS IS UPON US ▲▲▲
    Better mark the release date of the new album in your calendars as soon as Mighty Mike tells it to us, friends.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Well I kind of agree, but then again, considering this is something that happened at NAMM, Mike is the logical member to be there and do an interview there.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Mike uses an  Watch!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Honestly? Writing with other songwriters just gives me the impression that they are putting a solid focus on lyrics and melodies this time around, and for me there's absolutely no avenue where that could be a bad thing. Part of the reason ATS continues to be one of my favorite works by them is the fact that lyrically it is a cut above anything else the band has ever written prior or after that point. Combine that with the fact that Mike said as early as December in our podcast that they are really putting a focus on the songwriting this time around (something this interview only reiterates), and I really have high hopes for this next album.

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

I agree. I hope for a lyrically solid album. Something bothers me though. I feel now LP detractors are going to use this as an excuse as "See told you Linkin Park can't write their own lyrics." If they are the best lyrics the band does, "See told you LP can't write anything good." In the end, (it doesn't even matter), I hope for a good album as long as the other writers just tweak little things. Also, no ghostwriters for Mike's raps, please. :p

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Honestly, if we learned anything from THP sessions it's that the band isn't asking other featured artists to do stuff for the but more so to learn from them. I see it as a great way for the band to improve. I trust that Mike and gang wouldn't just have ghostwriters and that they take pride in their own work

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

True, I'm just saying, worst case scenario. Ghostwriters, especially as a rapper, are a no-no. I'm fine with tweaking lines THAT they wrote but I wouldn't want someone just to write an entire song for them. I doubt they're doing that anyway but I'm just saying...

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

A lot of hip-hop artists and beyond simply collaborate with other writers to produce something that they feel is special beyond what one or two people could do on their own. It's no different from being a beatmaker and having a co-producer provide additional ideas. None of that should be called "ghostwriting" because all writers are typically credited.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Of course not; you're not a real MC if someone else writes your lines. :p