LPU 16 has now launched

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Nov 22, 2016.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

-The Catalyst (2010 Demo) has just another vocal take without the Autotune/Vocoder effect and with slightly different drums
    -Can't Hurt Me (2014 Demo) is really cool sounds like THP meets LT with a nice Solo (with Wahmmy Pedal?)
    -Dark Crystal (2015 Demo) trap hip hop shit going there i like it
    -Air Force One (2015 Demo) ha? LAME
    -Bleed It Out (2007 Demo) RAW AS FUCK
    -Consequence A (2010 Demo) is "Quense" from STAGELIGHT sounds really nice
    -Consequence B (2010 Demo) nothing special
    -Lies Greed Misery (2010 Demo) :samuel:
    -Burberry (2015 Demo)
    this is just a short version from Space Station (LP LIARS:facepalm:)
    -Symphonies Of Light Reprise (2010 Demo) the REAL The Catalyst demo

Overall very nice collection of demos, i'm very happy there is no Meteora demo they all sound the same.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I really don't know why people go into these CD's thinking these demos are going to be groundbreaking or extremely special. They're demos. Rough versions of songs that either made it to an album (in a far more polished state) or never got past the initial concept stage. Most of the time they're likely going to sound very unfinished, be full of filler vocals or not have any vocals at all. Because they were rough ideas.

Sure we get the rare gifts (Fig 09 demo with a totally different chorus, Faint 2002 demo with completely different verses, LOATR with a new chorus, Primo etc) but I'm willing to bet that those are an exception and that the majority of demos the band has on their hard drive sound nothing like that :lol:.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Great, now I'll never unhear "Leave it all, down below"
    Consequence A had a really awesome thing going. Everything we get lableled 2010 seems creative as hell, I feel like there's a whole other awesome album to be made just from all the stuff that didn't make ATS or came right after.
    Can't hurt me is a really nice instrumental. Definitely feels like LT meets THP, which I would have had 0 idea what that meant before hearing the song. Cool stuff!
    I have a feeling dark crystal has no indication of the new album sound. Probably just something Mike threw together to get it out of his system.
    LGM demo is pretty awesome haha. It shows they were still on that WTCFM ATS weird shit for a while, before they brought it back down to earth with rap and more approachable melodies.
    Symphonies of Light Reprise is really cool. Definitely an unfinished idea, and probably replaced when Fallout filled the role of an awesome reprise on the album.

Too bad we didn't get a full brand new track like Chance of Rain, but they can only have so many of those I imagine. I still look forward to demos though, the ATS demos of existing songs we've heard are basically just final versions with different vocals, I want to hear what that stuff sounded like at its beginnings.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

The Catalyst Demo: Was hoping for a more "Violent Lullaby" level of demo, but the ending was a very interesting new vocal take and really emphasized the divine nature of the track.
    Can't Hurt Me: This is honestly one of my favourite LPU instrumentals ever. It feels very near completion and a very nice mix of LT and THP.
    Dark Crystal: Don't know why people are saying this couldn't be LP when we have I Have Not Begun. Very dark and sinister, probably won't listen to it again though.
    Air Force One: Standard LPU track - some intrigue but not enough substance.
    Bleed It Out Demo: Not sure what people are complaining about - it's pretty much the same level of the Figure.09/Faint demoes in terms of completion. We got entirely new verses and an interesting new chorus/bridge melody. Sounds like Chester was originally not meant to scream in this track.
    Consequence A: Feels to me like an early album opener for ATS that was abandoned in favour of The Requiem.
    Consequence B: Feels like an early reprise idea explored in ATS, the title "Consequence" further solidifies this idea in my head.
    Lies Greed Misery Demo: LOL. LPU16's version of Mike's Breaking The Habit.
    Burberry: Space Station. That is all.
    Symphonies of Light Reprise: Holy shit - I never knew I wanted a folky acoustic rendition of The Catalyst so fucking much.

Overall I'd say much more consistent and interesting than LPU15 (minus Chance of Rain), and more relevant than LPU14.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Air Force One is the best ringtone ever

LohithMohan likes this.
    LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

The Catalyst Demo: Was pretty much the same except for the change in lyrics towards the end.
    Can't Hurt me: Sounds really cool. Sounds like it would have been a great single for THP at least way better than Until It's Gone.
    Dark Crystal: Was alright. It's not that different of a sound from LP. We've heard some stuff like this before.
    Air Force One: Like what Vinifeijo mentioned above, this will be such a good ringtone. And that's what I'm going to do with this.
    Bleed It Out Demo: Alright. Just nice to hear one of the 100 versions of this song :p
    Consequence A: This was really nice to listen to. I guess it just didn't fit with ATS's tone tho.
    Consequence B: Really like the 8-bit sound in this. I hope they make a complete song with this 8 bit inspired music. Sounds really different from them.
    Lies Greed Misery Demo: Uhm, OK. Moving on.
    Burberry: Would have been interesting to see how it would've sounded if it was a longer song.
    Symphonies of Light Reprise: Yeah, I feel this was supposed to sync with The Catalyst and close the album off.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

LGM demo is really cool. The scatting is so uncharacteristically raw and human for LP. Kind of feel like they'd have used it for a THP interlude if it wasn't on LT. It's interesting how pure and spontaneous the music is when they're just demos. I have more of an emotional connection to them as opposed to most of their cleaned up and picked apart music that ends up on albums. I have the same sentiment about the Symphonies of Light/Catalyst as I do with the LGM demo.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

LohithMohan and Captain-EO like this.
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute....

Edit: damnit Broman

LohithMohan, Broman and Captain-EO like this.
    Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Aren't you guys bugged with this Burberry/Space Station confusion?

The complete song was released in 2012, but this DEMO they say it's from 2015. Weird.

Sorry posting about it again, but it really is strange and you guys aren't talking about it.

brady likes this.
    Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

They might have considered it for the album and tweaked it. Then decided not to include it.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's not uncommon for a band to take an old demo and try to rework it into an new or better song. Heck, a lot of the songs on HT for example were already a good 4 years old and drastically rewritten by the time they made it onto the album.

wolflink and Captain-EO like this.
    Hahninator

Hahninator Well-Known Member

Derek made a great point about them reusing samples, which is the case I'm sure for most of these. Burberry could honestly be a mislabel, but I don't know. For example, the files I downloaded label BIO as 2011, not 2007. And we know Mike mislabels these demos a lot for the years (see: Slip, Blue, etc)...BIO is probably 2006 instead of 2007, etc.

Good LPU here, I like it better than LPU 15. Symphonies of Light is something I'll instantly throw on my ATS in between Catalyst and Messenger.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

To be fair, I think the band puts these expectations in our head with how good some of the past demos have been. When you get songs like Across the Line, What We Don't Know (one of my all-time favorite LP songs), Dedicated, Blue, Slip, QWERTY, Homecoming, So Far Away, Announcement Service Public, ect, you get a skewed view of what you are hoping for based on what you know you can be given. Even some of the instrumental track demos blow us away so we just naturally skew or view and compare to the past. Which theoretically is unjustified but in the end could be argued that is justified because you are comparing demos with demos.

if you take all LP demos and created an album out of it, you could have a legit album that sounds good.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I like that we get demos from 2015 to taste what the new album direction could be. About to check out the songs myself.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:WTF: How can you forget Pretend to Be?

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

See, there are so many awesome songs that even I forgot one and probably more! That's why people's expectations are skewed haha.

Well, I'm about to listen to LPU16 for the first time so I'm excited!

Zane

Wonder what's being said in Consequence A?
    Pretty dope shit. As is Air Force One and Can't Hurt Me

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I just hear a bunch of "donna-na-na-na's"

Zane

Reprise is bad ass as fuck