The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:lol: But, that was my first thought when i've heard this song.

2. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

in points of authority the lead is with a phaser

3. Sasuke

Yes! since you're very interested in making LP remakes. you can check this site it has a LOT helpful informations about their sounds.
    http://lpsounds.webs.com/synths-keyboards-samples

4. ovv3n

ovv3n New Member

So I've finally read through this whole thread to make sure I'm not asking what's already been answered, and I'm recording a lift of Foreword/Don't Stay for school and thought some of you might be able to help with some sounds.

Foreword
    -I know the main sound is Mike hitting their CD Burner with a baseball bat, but is the breaking glass from that same smashing session?
    -The 3rd and 5th hits have some other sound right after them and I have no idea what it could be, unless it's just part of those hitting samples
    -I assume each hit is layered with the same kick that's used for the intro of Don't Stay?
    -The very first sound stumped me at first, but now I'm thinking it's a sample of thunder, just without the initial attack?
    -The sample that plays in the background throughout sounds either like rain (which would go along with the thunder), or streaming water, I guess I just want confirmation on this

Don't Stay
    -Would anyone know what kind of drum samples and processing Mike used for the intro drums? It's mostly the snare I just can't seem to replicate
    -I have no idea what that repeated sound is that plays right after the first snare of every bar in that drum loop
    -That build up sound at 0:07 and 2:00, I have no idea what effect that is, and at first I thought it was a guitar, but I think it could also be a synth?
    -I have the "Mister Hahn F**ks Up Meteora Style" files, so I have that scratch sample for Don't Stay, but I've also heard that the scratch sample is Rock Steady by Aretha Franklin... was the stage vinyl only used live or also for the studio recording?
    -What's that synth that plays constant 16th notes during the main riff, choruses, second verse and at the end of the bridge? I know there's a similar, if not exactly the same synth on Faint during the choruses
    -Would anyone know what the sample is at the end that leads into Somewhere I Belong, or at the very least what that word is so I can rerecord it?

I think that's everything... So if anyone has any information or ideas about any of these things I'd really appreciate it! Also, I've read some articles and watched "The Making of Meteora", but if there are any articles, threads, documentaries, etc. about the recording of this song and/or Meteora as a whole that you guys could direct me to, that would be awesome!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. Sasuke

First of all, welcome here. in term of the guitars you can/must check ASTAT tabs they're 100% correct this guy actually knows EVERYTHING about LP.

Don't Stay tab http://lplive.net/astat/Guitar_tabs/Meteora/02 - Don't Stay.txt

Astat's cover

6. ovv3n

ovv3n New Member

Haha yeah I've actually already got the tab opened up in my browser, and it's definitely got some great information on the specific guitar, pickup selection, and effects used for certain sections, along with the tab itself! I've also seen in this thread the crazy amount of things Astat knows about certain LP sounds!

I mostly came here looking for the more electronic/sample based stuff I asked about earlier, but anything about the recording would be helpful, like the specific mics and miking techniques used for guitar/bass/drums, or how many layers of guitar tracks there are.

7. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The "quintessential Linkin Park Hybrid Theory/Meteora guitar sound" is generally four tracks of guitar (I simplify it to two for my tabs 99% of the time). On tracks with two guitar parts like Crawling or Faint it's still four tracks, two guitars on each. Generally there are two main tracks hard panned left/right, and two more that are more centralized (probably like 40-50% panned to either side). On tracks with one main guitar part the hard panned tracks are louder in the mix and the other two are more compressed and quieter, and probably have some degree of a high pass filter on them since they're occupying some of the central part of the mix that's also taken up by the bass and kick. On tracks with two parts they tend to keep the rhythm part in the middle (Mike's part on a song like Faint) and spread the lead part out wide with a touch of reverb (Brad's part, generally consists of octaves on those first two albums). One of the weird quirks with this is that the chord parts tend to sound louder than the octave parts on the albums, but Brad's guitar was always mixed louder than Mike's live so the opposite was true.

That's of course not factoring in additional overdubs for clean guitar parts or parts with additional effects, and there are some tracks that may have more than the usual 4 guitars covering the rhythm parts (Somewhere I Belong is one that's always stuck out to me as probably being 6 to 8 tracks of guitar on the distorted sections). Everything after Meteora is a lot more inconsistent, with the guitar layering really being tailored to the needs of each track rather than following a predictable formula.

ovv3n and lime treacle like this.
  8. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

^Holy shit, that's a lot of guitar tracks. :lol: Talk about a wall of sound...

Sasuke likes this.
  9. Erik

Erik New Member

Hello everyone. Does anyone have any idea about how the intro synth was made in this song?

10. dutchsoldier

dutchsoldier Well-Known Member

@Erik : Kinda sounds like they slap a cricket silly over and over.

But on a more serious note: I think they're reversing a sound to begin with. Wouldn't know what exactly though.

11. TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

It sounds like an electric piano in the background, and some sort of reversed synth as the lead.
    That feels like the only way you can really get that sound for the intro.

12. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Reversed synth and a sample of a whistle I think? And some vinyl distorted shakers with a lot of frequencies cut out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  13. Minty Loops

Minty Loops Well-Known Member

Anybody got an idea of how they made the lead in the intro to In My Remains? I've always thought that sound was pretty interesting.

14. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I really enjoy your YouTube channel. Really like that Strat and Flying V.

Also the guitar website is super informative!

15. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

someone knows what samples and hardware they use and what kind of instruments mika shinoda uses

16. AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

:dafuq:
    Mind blown. I've been listening to this song for over a year now and I've never noticed that is the same synth from Numb!

However, I don't think they "ripped it off". It's just a sample. It's not like they are using the exact same riff LP used.

17. Sasuke

:lol: I know it's not really a rip off. but, that was my first thought when i've listened to this song.

18. AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

No worries lol. TOP's a great band though. I'll stop here before I get too :offtopic:

Sasuke likes this.
  19. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

How did they get Chester's voice to sound like that on 26 lettaz in da alphabet? Did they just record it a few steps down and shift up to achieve that effect?

20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Basically, yes, just pitch-shifting. There's a vocoder part in the chorus too