Linkin Park - One More Light, New Album Releasing May 19 2017, Preorder Now at LinkinPark.com

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Damn, I remember when ATS tracklist was revealed, I was so excited about it, based on the song titles alone...
    Anyway, these song titles are okay, I guess.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

What scares me is that the hardcover book includes lyrics, which probably means those who get the normal CD won't be getting a booklet with lyrics in it...

Andreina likes this.
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Okay, I've seen a lot of people talking about the lower than usual number of tracks, so I thought I'd do a bit of quick maths. So LP's shortest album to date is Meteora at 36:43, followed closely by Living Things at 36:59. Let's guess conservatively, and say that OML will be LP's shortest album to date, tied with Meteora. We know Heavy is 2:50, so that means we have 33:53 remaining between the other nine tracks, giving us an average length of 3:46 for each track. Now, this average seems short (and it is), but somewhat interestingly, this happens to also be the average length of each song on The Hunting Party, an album containing the longest, third longest, and fifth longest LP tracks to date. And this is assuming that this'll be the band's shortest album to date.

So let's see what happens if we assume that LP are going to follow up THP with an album equal in length. THP was 45:12 in length (second only to ATS, at 47:48), so let's take that figure and again subtract 2:50 to get the total length of the 9 remaining songs. Dividing by 9, we get that each track should have an average length of 4:42. If this were the case, the average song on the album (excluding Heavy) would be longer than all but eight Linkin Park songs. Even if we do include Heavy, the average length would be 4:31 (still longer than all but nine LP songs).

Now, I don't think this album will be as long as The Hunting Party (although I'd be over the moon if it were). But I also don't think it'll be shorter than LT or Meteora. Either way, unless every song is pretty much the exact same length, I'd be extremely surprised if no songs are above the 4-5 minute mark. And we can say for almost certain that Heavy will be one of the shorter songs on the album (otherwise the album would have to be under 32 minutes, which would be extremely disappointing).

TL;DR, the fact that this album has fewer tracks than usual means that either One More Light will be unnaturally short (and Linkin Park already have very short albums, so this is unlikely in my mind), or most of the songs are lengthier than we usually get. If the album is as long as THP (or even longer, say as long as ATS), then we're almost guaranteed 5-6 minute long tracks. Basically, get hyped!

Alexrednex, Blake and Vic like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Wait is Battle Symphony really an interlude? Please say this is just a rumor.

Dragondust likes this.
    SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Yeah, it's a rumor so far, though if it is an interlude, I wouldn't be surprised.

Petar likes this.
    OliverJ

OliverJ Member

I remember Mike saying that the band had around 20 songs worth of making the final cut somewhere in the recording process. Also, Mike said the band still have something up their sleeves in regards to the new album, so maybe, just maybe (and I'm really going out on a stretch), they will release the remaining songs (if any) in another album a couple of months after One More Light drops, kind of like how System Of A Down released Mezmerize and Hypnotize. A man can dream, right?

Vic

Vic No game no life

I do like the fact that we're getting 10 songs, because tbh I prefer a 5 minute song to two forgettable 2:30 songs, also it's very interesting to see they're doing a 10 song record, first time they do something like this.

For the interlude... my money goes to Invisible, due to the fact that Chester starts almost inmediately singing in Heavy, it would make sense but of course it probably doesn't mean anything at all. We'll see :)

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

I mean if you have just given me the ATS titles, I would have totally believed The Catalyst was an instrumental so I am really hoping the Battle Symphony is this epic like 5 minute song with a wall of violins. A man has to dream right?

Andreina and Petar like this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Quality pist, thanks for letting me read this information you speculated with :D

Iopia likes this.
    Deliveranze

LP's last few intro songs (Lost In The Echo, Keys To The Kingdom) have been epic. I hope Nobody Can Save Me is the same.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

re: pre-order, I just want the CD, the book and the pins

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

In a different way, I felt that The Requiem/Radiance/Burning in the Skies was also extremely epic. So yes, I hope that this album follows that same pattern. Because I agree. Their albums all have very cool openings.

I think the song names fit the more moody vibe the album may take. I ordered the CD off of LP's website. I'm getting the feeling there may not be a "making of" again, which is unfortunate.

Iopia likes this.
    Deliveranze

Ya know I agree. It's epic in a different way though. Like a slow burning (heh puns) epic. LITE and KTTK are more energetic bangers. I'm curious which songs have rapping at the moment.

joshtrum

joshtrum Active Member

I honestly don't know how to feel about this album. I like 'Heavy' not my favorite LP song, but not remotely as bad as the scorn as it's getting. In fact, I think it's good it's getting a lot of scorn, it's different and unexpected. My issue, is the first single being 2:49 and not a polished 2:49, but leaving me for more 2:49. I know this is a gut reaction that can change and who knows maybe a two 10track album thing happens, who knows what the hell happens. What annoys me, is that the first album in three years could be really short, leaving me wanting more in a negative way. I'm still hyped for the new album, but it's a good thing Ed Sheeran is releasing new stuff and I've got a couple other artists to keep me nourished cause I can't hold on to heavy only for the next 3ish mos. (though another song is surely coming in April).

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The new font is pretty lame as well...

minuteforce

Yeah, the icon logo and the font are just not going to scale very well

SkullDevil217 likes this.
    hasbino

hasbino Member

I like that they're releasing just 10 tracks. It means they've narrowed it all down to the best of the best instead of putting in 2 more just fit with the traditional 12-track LP thing.

minuteforce

The way I understand, she's the only guest who contributed vocals, so she's the only "feature".

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

My theory is that Heavy will have an album version which puts it at about 3:30.
    Other than that, I am almost certain this will be Linkin Park's shortest album to date(if not close to). Following up their longest record, this just makes sense when considering their dualistic mind set.

Either that or the last track will drag out and have like a hidden track within it. Basically, most of the songs will be fairly short.

However, if the album actually is the shortest LP to date, I have a feeling Linkin Park will give those who purchased the album either bonus tracks or acoustic versions of studio tracks to compensate for the length.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Petar

Petar Well-Known Member

Just Battle Symphony can be instrumental by the name and maaybe Invisible or Sharp Edges but I don't believe.