Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

The lyrics aren't groundbreaking, but the sentiment is definitely a more mature one then some are giving the band credit for.

As far as I can tell, the song is about having to deal with the frustrations and stress that shit in life will throw at you without being able to release it like when you were younger and didn't have the same responsibilities/family etc. When you get to their stage in life, you can't just easily let your frustrations out by screaming at people you hate them, trashing stuff or going out getting wasted and getting into fights. Instead you've got to carry it all with you weighing you down, this song is about trying to deal with that. This isn't a song an angsty teenager would write. That's my take on it anyway.

And this track would indeed have fitted very well on LIVING THINGS. It's very similar to several of the tracks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Abel and Halfway Dwight like this.
  2. RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Just read through the entire thread. Wow, I didn't know some people had it in them to hate something this bad.. :lol:

Linkin Park has always been a hit-and-miss band (and I'm saying this as a longtime fan). Same as many other mainstream bands (Green Day, Coldplay etc.) It's okay if you didn't find this one to be good, just don't listen to it, and wait for the next single to drop. :) It's not like they are physically forcing you to listen.

And unless you are a teenager (in which case I completely understand ;) ), please try and be a bit more open with your music tastes. There's some amazing pop music out there, don't dismiss an entire genre as "Justin Beiber shit", you're missing out on a lot.

TheInterframe, Abel, Blake and 3 others like this.
  3. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

What exactly is a "true fan" by your definition?

My god, just went through the rest of the thread and the level of pettiness and entitlement of some of you is just mindboggling.

brady likes this.
  4. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I actually don't even consider this a proper "soft" song. It's quite upbeat and energetic actually. It has a laid out, chill vibe, but it's not properly a ballad.

It's just.... the sound aesthetic of it. True, Linkin Park had always had pop elements to them, but they always had managed to do it without sounding like a top-charting band being played in Starbucks. Quite a childish way to put it, but that's exactly the vibe the song gives me.

5. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I like Starbucks. Hopefully they'll play this when I'm in there.

Abel, brady, Blake and 3 others like this.
  6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

If someone other than LP had made this song, like a brand-new name in pop, I probably would have discovered it on Spotify, put it in a playlist and listened to it semi-regularly, never loving it enough to just buy it.

I also said this earlier in the shoutbox as well: if "Heavy" had been a Kiiara single, it would actually be the best thing she's ever done. She nailed her parts and her singing is a big step up from what we heard on her EP. :) Her presence on this song even goes beyond a typical guest spot and leans closer to being a 50/50 duet with Chester, the way their parts intertwine, which I personally think is very cool.

Regarding lyrics, they may be a little basic in places but, then, what band have you been listening to this whole time? If you think, say, "Somewhere I Belong" is pretty good in the lyrics department, then, you can try to like "Heavy".

Some of the things I noticed being touched upon in the song include being self-analytical, having self-awareness and admitting culpability when necessary. I appreciate the maturity there. I feel that the band managed to write a song here that's at least a little bit nuanced and multifaceted.

Abel, hasbino and Alexrednex like this.
  7. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

People are just making blanket statements about pop music in this thread @minuteforce. It's annoying but, like you said, been happening in the LP fanbase since about the time they did songs with Jay Z.

Abel and Sasuke like this.
  8. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Fun fact, when I joined this site, I was actually gonna use the username MattLP. I definitely would've worn it better :awesome:

Back to the song, I'm glad to see the general opinion on social media is starting to become more positive :)

Abel, brady and RapidGunner like this.
  9. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I like this song more by every listen, i don't know why?

Abel and Alexrednex like this.
  10. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

It doesn't even matter how hard you try

Abel, Blake, Brawler and 4 others like this.
  11. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

:awesome:

Until it Breaks is a bottom 5 Linkin Park song for me but I must say I LOVE Brad's part. He actually shines the most out of everyone on that track.

12. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Brad's singing in Until It Breaks surprised me as well. I was hoping he'd get to do it again, but it doesn't seem likely.

13. kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

Well said. Thank you for summing up pretty much everything I've been thinking.

Reanimate02 and hasbino like this.
  14. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

The thing is, I'm fine with Hybrid Theory having been so successful/mainstream, because it was the best nu-metal to exist at that time. It was something really new. Mainstream pop nowadays is nothing special. It's just pop. There are tons of different pop artists and they are so stale now because most of them sound the same. Seeing the title 'Heavy' made me think of THP, not Justin Beiber

15. InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

You win this thread.

16. tfae

tfae The Graves Marker

Great argumentation and I kinda feel the same. I like "Heavy" for the song itself, as much as I like other pop songs. But is disappointing to think this song is from Linkin Park and that it will end up to be forgotten after a few months.

17. InStereo

Btw. has anyone heard the new Papa Roach Single "Help"? Every comment under it is Linkin Park related

Wizardofozil likes this.
  18. Dan-e-o

Dan-e-o Member

Question: If this new LP is similar to BMTH's That's the Spirit, in terms of pop-lighter sound. I'll be fine with it. How about you guys? Is that a fair question?

19. InStereo

Actually, songs like "Throne" kind of pick up where LP left after Meteora.. with heavy walls of guitars, synths and raspy singing.. So, no.. you should not expect this.

20. NikoLpSoldier

NikoLpSoldier Daimonas

I'm listening to THP now after trying to get into Heavy.. damn that album is better than I remember it to be.

I wish Linkin Park would go more in the direction of the remake I did of Rebellion (I posted it yesterday in the "Your Projects" section, check it out if you like heavy stuff)

Heck, I'd fly over there to them and help them write a progressive metal record haha