LPAssociation Interview - Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 21, 2017.

1. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

...are you serious?

Nothing new to discuss? Are people really craving on regurgitating the same argument over and over again in every single thread instead of discussing relevant information about One More Light that's been revealed to us?

[​IMG]

ciao_fiv, Iopia and brady like this.
  2. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

Ok, how did you like the Battle Symphony? or Invisible? or Sorry for Now? :)
    Mike's words are the only thing I can relate to at the moment, i won't review the record I hadn't listened. Sorry :)
    What I can do is to express my opinion on what he has said. peace :)

3. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

:lgh:

Yep, you heard it here, folks. You can't theorize on what Mike's singing will sound this time around, or what Chester rapping will be like, or how the lyric from Halfway Right explores a more direct concept than previous LP songs have before and that it might explore Chester's past drug use. Nope, just keep talking about how Mike's statements in 2014 contradict his statements now. Because people haven't been beaten over the head with it by now. No siree. :hammer:

ciao_fiv and brady like this.
  4. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

Yeah, show me the line I said you can't do any of those thing. I expressed the opinion that it will bring nothing new to the overall opinion about the album before it's released. OK, you may disagree with me, your opinion is very valuable, very important and I am happy you wrote it but please, for the sake of this general discussion do not implicate I said such things as forbiding anyone to say anything. :)

I think it is important to reproach such things as Mike saying diffrerent things during albums promotion becouse it's undermines the sincerity of his art what also can affect the reception of the bands work. :)

5. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

In reference to this whole thread: I'm thoroughly convinced we cant have a Shinoda interview now without people getting overly upset by a comment he makes and twisting it into some big deal. There's somedays where I think "man, I'd love to know what it feels like to be in a band this huge" and then I see threads like these and the Heavy release thread and think "On second thought...nope, I don't want to know :lol:"

On a different note: It's weird that the band has some features that are unannounced. Typically any features would be mentioned on the tracklist...so it's weird they're leaving that out. Then again, Coldplay's 'A Head Full of Dreams' didn't mention Beyonce in the tracklist (and still doesn't on Amazon), so perhaps we're in for more surprises than we think!

Iopia likes this.
  6. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Maybe something like those?

Gravity_LP likes this.
  7. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Haha never seen the HeavyDirtySoul one before. Cool.

Still trying to imagine that type of Chezzy rap with Mike singing Sorry for Now in the style we've heard on the clip. That, plus the possible presence of Blackbear on the track makes me more intrigued for this track then any track since the party/rap/death/hoedown description given to BIO.

8. Rockdudesurfing

Rockdudesurfing New Member

What ever the future holds for LP, OML will be a one off like every album before it and any album following it. I truely believe it will be an album that when released will make sense. Its easy to judge on a first single but really 'Heavy' is quite a cool track even if it doesn't please some fans. I like the reference to the artists work in a gallery and not fitting into a box. I don't believe it is an attempt to infiltrate the charts. Its not really being aired on the radio in the UK as i thought it would and thats not because the song is rubbish but because the song doesn't fit in that box ... maybe!!!

9. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I'm really hyped for Sorry for Now and Halfway Right. From what we heard from that clip, it sounds like it might be an amazing song, and might be made even better if blackbear offers vocals on the song. And those lyrics on Halfway Right (in addition to the intriguing title).

10. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I've learned a long time ago with this band that it's useless to try and imagine how an album is going to sound, because even the most well educated and well researched guesses ultimately turn out to be wrong. THP was a big example. When I first heard the 6 song preview for AltWire I went into it thinking that the album would sound just like GATS or basically a 'harder Hybrid Theory'.

After finishing the sampler (and then later the album) I realized I was way off. Just like, my predictions that OML will have a softer, poppier feel may be way off base too.

Xero-G, Kilmer, Rocky and 2 others like this.
  11. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

With the release months away yet, do you think you'll get the opportunity for another sampler or listening party?

Also, when you do interviews like this one, how are they conducted? How do you even get into contact with Mike (or anyone else)? Are they done over the phone, podcast/stream, email or something else?

Iopia likes this.
  12. LPJM46

LPJM46 Member

Ok I guess I'll give ya a touché for Mike being a hypocrite by definition when analyzing exactly what he said. But I guess what I'm trying to say is it's just ridiculous that people are angry and denouncing him as a hypocritical person overall when in the end (haha), we all do shit like this. Granted, we aren't all in one of the biggest bands in the world and our words aren't recorded. Actually, we're all hypocrites for calling others hypocrites because we've all been hypocrites before!...my head hurts.

Screw all this man I just want to listen to OML :lol: Why 3 months?! WHYYYY

Xero-G and Sasuke like this.
  13. Rippin on That

Rippin on That Stared at the sun once

Mike's singing was very good in the live session they did with Kiiara, if it's anything like that then I would be happy.

kickgift and Sasuke like this.
  14. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Correct. In fact, I'd be interested in finding out just how many people on this forum denounced Burn It Down/Living Things as more "What I've Done Shit" and have since back-pedalled to say Heavy is great.

Personally, I'm affected by his hypocritical statements because as a fan who always trusted the band's words, I never believed they would intentionally release a pop jingle for radio play. After The Hunting Party cycle it appeared the band finally wanted nothing to do with mainstream success. I'm not even in it for the heavy guitars or screaming vocals - THP had both in spades and Linkin Park is capable of something far more substantial, even within the realm of pop music. Waiting for the End is great pop. Iridescent is great pop. Powerless is great pop. Hell, remove the lead guitars from most Linkin Park songs and you have great pop material. The problem for me is, Heavy is intentionally a pop jingle.

But like you say, I'm still cautiously optimistic about One More Light. The album could still prove to have that quality material Linkin Park is known for by this fanbase. Those lyrics for Halfway Right are a bold step in the right direction, even if I sing them like the "Cool Kids" song.

Xero-G and Iopia like this.
  15. Rippin on That

Rippin on That Stared at the sun once

I agree that they are by far capable of more than Heavy but I also believe that this is the album that they want to make, they've never cared about fitting into mainstream success before and I don't think they do now especially considering how this is their 7th album, they've been around for a while now and I don't think there's much pressure on them when you consider what they've spoken about in regards with their relationship with Warner.

Whether it's shit or not I don't have any doubts that this is the album LP want to make at this time.

16. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Thanks for stating the obvious :jesse:

Never seem the Heavydirtysoul before
    Interesting, thanks for posting!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  17. Smarky

Smarky Well-Known Member

I don't get why people can't see Mike's hunting party comments for what they were, it's like everyone sits on the outside trying to frame everything into their own little picture and perspective. I think Mike said it very clearly here, love what he said.

The hunting party and his statements about it, were a reflection of what he and the band were trying to do at the time, now they are doing something else, because that's who they are and what they do, I feel people criticising Mike and the band here really don't understand who the band are and I am not saying that you have too, but the world is already full of people that sit on the outside, watch and criticise something they have little understanding in.

It's like, maybe you want to make the most unhealthy meal ever for a party, you go extreme, you diss the healthy food you normally eat, even mock it, because today you are going the other way you are going to add everything that's super unhealthy and make the most delicious ball of awesomeness. But that doesn't mean the next day you aren't going to go back to eating something healthy, because that's what you need/want to do.

Meteorain likes this.
  18. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I don't have any doubt either that One More Light is the album Linkin Park wanted to make and until I hear it I have no problem. Heavy on the other hand feels written for maximum mainstream exposure which goes against how the band has acted over the last decade.

19. TheRAT

TheRAT Well-Known Member

First and foremost this album will be fantastic...I cant speculate anymore than everyone else already has BUT it cant be denied there will be TONSSSS of this...sorry if its been shared previously.

RyRy, RapidGunner and Alexrednex like this.
  20. The_Hands47

The_Hands47 Active Member

Haha my bad! Don't really know em and couldn't remember their name. But now that I think of it, I remember them from a Dillon Francis song!