This Linkin Park 'Heavy' Rehearsal Is So Good It Deserves A Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

How can you sit there and pretend that you know for certain either of the two incredibly broad generalizations that you just made? I'm not trying to start an argument, but your post is frustrating because it's littered with a ton of BS comments.

For starters: Chester has struggled with drug and alcohol issues for over half his life. He had problems throughout a good portion of his teens, and briefly had problems again around 2008-2009 which is what inspired a lot of the darker lyrics of Dead By Sunrise (and even the band name itself). To pretend that because of the fact Chester is now sober, that he magically no longer has painful memories of those times is incredibly asinine. Nearly killing yourself cause of drugs isn't something that you easily forget.

And by saying 'much' of the fanbase wants them to go back to their roots, you're also making a generalization based off of nothing more than assumptions. Maybe you just haven't been here in previous cycles, so I'll tell you what's going on: a lot (but not all of) what you're seeing is a group of fans who feel the need to voice their anger every time the band refuses to return back to a genre they abandoned nearly 15 years ago. It happens every album cycle, as others will attest, and has been happening since MTM. If a big swath of the fan base were mad at them for abandoning their original sound, I highly doubt the band would still have over 60 million likes on Facebook, or have more likes than dislikes on Heavy. If the fan base was sick of Linkin Park because they refused to go back to their roots, we wouldn't keep breaking traffic records everytime a new album comes out.

I can't help but feel that it's actually you that wants them to go back to their roots like Limp Bizkit, and you that wants them to keep making music that resonates with your lives 'and so on'. You contradict that by saying you're happy Chester's doing more personal/reflective lyrics, but spend the other 90% of your post stating why that's apparently a problem. So what are you: for or against it?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Kilmer, Jesse, brady and 3 others like this.
  2. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

It isn't that black and white.

I've just seen a massive shift in the band over the past few years, and they've become a lot more positive overall.

"Heavy" is where it gets a little bit too happy/poppy. Not gritty enough, it lacks Linkin Park's signature grit and texture for me. Not interested in the album if it's all like that.

3. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Tbh, I can see why someone would prefer to be like Pink Floyd rather Limp fucking Bizkit, regardless of what some fans might want. Limp Bizkit are an even bigger joke now then ever. Back to their roots, maybe. But they are completely irrelevant and their all their recent stuff sucks

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. Derek

Linkin Park don't have a 'signature grit and texture'.

They've literally spent four albums (soon to be five) proving that. Listen to them in interviews starting from MTM onwards. They don't believe they have 'one sound' or texture (or whatever you want to call it) and they don't want to be held to any one feel. It took 30-40 seconds for them to make a nu-metal version of Heavy during a rehearsal...but much longer to actually craft Heavy and make it into what it is. Wouldn't you rather have something the band has put effort into, rather than a throwaway genre that the band can recreate on the fly in less than a minute?

Kilmer, Blake and Abel like this.
  5. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

You totally misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not saying I want LP to sound like Limp Bizkit.. I was giving an example of how those bands differ in terms of their "discography arc" or whatever it's called.

Pink Floyd went from The Wall to The Divison Bell (from rock to more soft rock) and Limp Bizkit stuck with the same brush their whole career.. the fanbase is split because some want LP to go back to their roots, and others want them to push further into easy listening territory. My opinion anyway.

I don't want nu-metal Linkin Park. See? Anyone who criticizes Heavy is made out to be a nu-metal fanboy.. i'm just not a fan of the poppier side of the band. If they're going that way then i'll wait for the next album in 2020 or whatever.

6. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

There are also a lot of fans, who rather then wanting LP to go in any particular direction. want them to make whatever music they want to make. That way it will be genuine, which is what I prefer, regardless of genre.

7. Derek

It's not that we're making you out to be a nu-metal fanboy. It's that you seem to keep referencing that swath of the fanbase in some of your posts, so it seems to imply that you sympathize with them or agree with them slightly. That's the impression many people are getting. If you feel they're silly to want that, why do you keep referencing them? You shouldn't take their opinions seriously, because neither we (the LPA) nor the band have for years.

Abel likes this.
  8. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Something we must keep in mind about the "heavy" version of "Heavy": it's not a finished song. It was just an impromptu free style for a rehearsal, not a song that was actually made with professional studio equipment. I'm all but certain that had LP gone with this version of the song for the album, it would have taken way longer than a minute to create it. Yes, the live instrumental parts were more or less laid down, but then consider the additional layers, mixing, fine-tuning, and final mastering that would follow.

Even so, what the band pulled off so quickly for a not-serious jam was quite impressive, at least to me. It was pretty clear that Chester wasn't even trying with his vocals, and was having a lot of fun messing around. What struck me the most with this version was the guitar sound and that simple, yet memorable, piano melody. If nothing else impressed anyone about this version, then at least that piano sound should have easily stuck out IMO.

9. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

How dare you guys even compare Pink Floyd to Limp Bizkit :cry:

10. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Dude you're taking that out of context. This is saying if a fan was lost over one album. At least that's what it's implying. And I'm sorry but I agree, how much of a fan were you if one album derails you, if you were a fan up to that point? Not that there should be any hard number on this, but I would think at least a few albums you didn't like before you gave up on a band you were a fan of. At least 2 if they're consecutive releases, maybe I can understand.

That's like me saying I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan but if they have one bad season I'm done... if that were true I'd have left them a long time ago.

Not exactly the same, but I hope you can see the point I'm making, with admittedly not providing the best example and only grabbing one off the top of my head.

What the hell are you talking about? "I never heard this so this didn't happen"? All I've seen is people say "Prove it, show examples" and the one example you did provide was a poor one that I strongly think you took out of context.

People are only saying they haven't seen it so show it to them before they believe it's true. Nobody said it didn't happen.

I actually don't... lol. But you're right, everybody else does. I'm different, and weird.

I personally don't think Linkin Park has ever made a bad song. That's why there's pressure for every album for me, because I hope like hell I don't find a song I think is bad. Honestly it might actually be better if I did finally find one, and maybe it would help take the pressure off for all future releases.

There's of course songs I like better than others. Naturally. But I can't find a song in their catalogue I think is flat-out bad. The worst I've ever found is "just ok" - (Robot Boy, War, Hit the Floor are examples of "just ok" for me).

To be fair, I think being able to bang out that nu-metal version of Heavy had a lot to do with Heavy being an already written, existing song, that they just put a new spin on in a short time. Similarly, Burn it Down was an existing song that they stripped down for that performance and put the acoustic touch on. So hypothetically, if that was their "roots" of Hybrid Theory, if that was an acoustic album, it still would've been as quick to take Burn it Down and put that spin on it, and it's not as though this nu-metal version of Heavy or the acoustic Burn it Down were brand new songs they just came up with on the spot for the rehearsal/broadcast respectively.

I also actually think I get what he (Reanimate02) means by 'signature grit and texture' even if maybe his wording wasn't the best. I'm not saying I agree with him about it, but just that I think I get what he means. Even songs that have been called "pop" like Pushing Me Away, Powerless, Leave Out All the Rest, seem to have a cast-over of "grit" (for lack of a better term) or some punch to the guitars or drums that can be called a rock element, whereas Heavy seems to be missing that largely.

I also can only shake my head generally when people take their opinion and project it, saying "fans want this, fans don't want that" and try to speak for anybody but themselves... which he's done a lot of.

Kilmer and Iopia like this.
  11. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh, it's this "LP feel" crap again :rolleyes: except, now, it's being dressed up as "signature grit and texture"

And reducing Pink Floyd to "soft rock" as well ... (CC: @Minus)

Minus likes this.
  12. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

I honestly never had a problem relating to the band's lyrics up until now, and this was despite what's being referred to now as more vague, less personal/direct. The ability to relate to this band is a huge reason their music resonates with me so much. Very often a song has felt almost as though it was speaking to me directly, and this despite the less direct approach. I see what you mean though, and I'm open minded to seeing what this approach has in store for us. I agree with you that in this case, if trying to convey the image of getting high with dead-end kids, it'll be pretty hard to be subtle or dance around that, or say anything other than "I used to get high" because I'm not sure how many ways there are to say that haha. I'm sure I'll be fine with it in the end, as long as it makes sense with the song, with context and whatnot, and I'm sure it will. Remember too that Mike, when talking about that line, even said "That's a very specific image" and to me, it was implying he knows that this approach is different, or at least an alteration from what they usually do lyrically. But different doesn't have to be bad/worse, I know that.

I've loved their writing style, but, there's nothing to say for sure I won't love this style. I guess we'll see in a few months. Though I will say I never got the sense the band felt they needed to restrict themselves, especially with the examples I provided (themes about death on Minutes to Midnight). I definitely feel like the subtlety or just not being straight to the point was intentional and what they wanted. I could be wrong, it's not like I've spoken to them about it lol. Just the sense/feeling I got with it.

Far from "filler lyrics"...but ok. You prefer the more personal touch, gotcha. I'm pretty sure I can't find a song in their catalog that I would refer to any lyrics in it as filler.

I never found a problem with relatability in their songs (though relating to a song isn't the only way I can enjoy it) and this despite not being as literal or directly expressive as they appear they're going to be on this album. I just kind of like the idea of saying something without having to flat out say it. That example I provided of Crash by Sum 41, again, I like the song, but I'm glad Linkin Park had never been as obvious or in your face as "I don't wanna die, I don't know why, this kind of fate was meant for me" and then, just in case they weren't direct enough already... after "What do I have to do, was supposed to grow old with you"...they add "but that ain't gonna happen" lol... thanks Sum, I get it, it's a song from a deathbed. Linkin Park's deathbed song, Shadow of the Day? "In cards and flowers on your window, your friends all plead for you to stay"..."and the sun will set for you"...

This isn't to say there's anything inherently wrong with what Sum 41 did on Crash. If I felt that way I wouldn't still like the song. It's just a preference of mine. But I wouldn't say I'm "making too much of a big deal" about this... I just voiced something I'm a little iffy about, and I even said I don't think it'll ruin it for me and I'm confident I'll still enjoy the song (Halfway Right) and the album.

About Across the Line... I actually do think Linkin Park maintains the less-direct style on that track. Though I get what you mean and why you don't think it's very subtle.

13. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

No seriously. Someone actually had the bright idea that Pink Floyd was "ballad-y stuff with soft rock elements". I would name them but then it becomes a targeted attempt at ridicule. Or rather, a MORE targeted attempt at ridicule.

But I mean, come on guys. One of the people on this forum hoped that the album would be "similar to Pink Floyd, ballad-y stuff with soft rock elements."

Pink Floyd. Ballads. Soft rock elements. What?

Check it out guys, the definitive ballad with soft rock elements.

Captain-EO likes this.
  14. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

To be fair, their music is largely soft, and their music is largely rock, so in a roundabout way, you could technically argue that they were a soft rock band. Not sure why you'd want to, though, "soft" and "rock" doesn't exactly equal "soft rock". :lol:

15. Minus

I'd more compare them to be prog rock or psychedelic rock than soft rock. You could TECHNICALLY argue that Pink Floyd is soft rock, but you'd be wrong and everyone would laugh at you. Whether you can technically argue something is a moot point. To invoke Godwin's Law, you could TECHNICALLY argue that the Holocaust was justified, but you'd be wrong.

16. Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

Speaking of Across the Line, why haven't LP experimented with that sound more? The only songs that I think of in that vein are Breaking the Habit, In Pieces, and to an extent, The Catalyst. They're all synth-loop driven, and have a build to them structure wise. I always imagined that would be the sound they'd eventually venture into and experiment with properly, but alas!
    Now don't get me wrong, I like Heavy, but surely, wouldn't that style of song-writing be much more compelling and interesting, whatever the genre may be?

17. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Well yeah, that's what I was saying haha. PF's music is definitely rock (or as you said, prog rock or psychedelic rock), and their music is definitely soft (for the most part), so they are definitely a "soft" rock band, in the literal sense. The problem is, they're definitely not a "soft rock" band (in the sense of the genre "soft rock", which is completely different to being "soft" and "rock" at the same time), which is why I agree, it's a terrible way to describe their music. But literally speaking... :lol:

EDIT: That being said, I'd be interested in seeing someone try to argue that Echoes is a ballad. :lol:

18. Minus

Or anything from the Syd Barrett era.

19. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Sorry but bands like Linkin Park and especially Limp Bizkit don't deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as Pink Floyd.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy music from those bands, but they're barely the same species when it comes to creativity. Pink Floyd created some of the best art mankind will ever produce. They will always have a place at the table of the musical elites.

Jesse, Gibs, Captain-EO and 1 other person like this.
  20. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

I would argue that Linkin park doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as Limp bizkit too because they are leagues better and less cringey at least but hey that's just my opinion

Gibs, Abel, Captain-EO and 4 others like this.