What films have you recently seen? Pt.2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by lime treacle, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Mkvx

Mkvx Five Star General

"Deadpool". It was funny, although I didn't get half of the references.

2. deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

I watched it yesterday and thought I was the only person in the world who had waited a year to see it lol. I liked it, but it seemed a little overrated. I guess I was overhyped after a year of everyone saying it's the best thing since sliced bread.

3. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

interstellar 2014

4. Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

Snowden - (wow)

5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

A Cure For Wellness (2017) - ?/10

Fuck.

6. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) - 8/10

Is it as good as the first film? Nope. Part of the reason the first film was so great was because John Wick had a pure, and relatable reason for what he was doing. Without getting into spoilers, his motivaiton here just wasn't as compelling. In setting up him being "back" again, a lot of the first half of the film is a bit of a drag, but it's so worth it. Though the club scene in this film doesn't top the Red Circle scene from the first one, it's absolutely breathtakng. The build-up to the scene got me so excited. The band that was playing during the scene played 3 songs, all of which were fantasitc. The second half of the film is incredible, and totally worth the price of admission. I also loved the way this film ended. It set up some exciting things to come in John Wick: Chapter 3. The continued world-building of this franchise's underworld was also a major plus.

7. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Hacksaw Ridge - 8/10

Arrival - 6.5/10

8. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Arrival (2016) - 8/10

9. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Depeche Mode: Devotional Tour DVD (1993) - 10/10

Had this back in my teenage days (probably like 2005-2006) and bought it from Best Buy. Lost my copy and had to repurchase it on Amazon...

It's still a really incredible live DVD. Probably the best on I've ever seen, next to Zoo TV by U2. The visuals are amazing, thanks to the stage design and films they used on stage. The sound is also really good, thanks to Alan Wilder being involved. This DVD is also kind of perverse to watch because it was the most tumultuous and darkest period of the band. Alan Wilder, the band's main sound designer and co-producer, left the band after the tour and Dave Gahan was in a deep heroin addiction.

10. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Logan (2017) - 8,5/10

I have a feeling this movie would've been way more powerful if the continuity in the X-Men movies was... y'know, not the bullshit it is now. Some of the powerful moments feel a bit unearned, despite them being handled well in the movie itself. The events that brought the characters to this point, however, are so all over the place that it feels difficult at times to really get invested. With that said, though, still a great movie with great action, funny moments, badass visuals and awesome performances.

11. Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

Logan - 10/10

12. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

To be fair, X-Men continuity in the COMICS is pretty bullshit all the time period.

That's not excusing the shit quality of the X-Men movies in general, of course, just saying that it's not a fault that is purely on the cinematic side.

As it is, I rate Logan a tentative 9/10. I'm not sure it's perfect since I still have the "new car smell" effect with the film, but I was extremely emotionally captivated by it despite my thoughts on the X-Men series in general.

Kudos to all the actors and actress, you brought this film to life in a way I only hoped for.

13. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

That's probably part of the problem, yeah. Can't say, 'cause I know fuck-all about the comics. But I'd say, from what I can tell, that shitty continuity is common for comics.

What I will say, though, is that they succeeded in making the definitive Wolverine movie. The performance, the visuals, the violence, ... It's all done so right.

14. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

As much as comics are a streaming pile of inconsistencies in general, X-Men is even moreso. X-Men is the primary focus when it comes to alternate timelines and changing the past/future. Cable is, after all, an alternate future Universe version of Nathan Summers, the child of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey who was sent to the future as a child and came back to the past as a grown man. From a timeline that no longer exists because he was sent to prevent it. Last I read, Jean Grey is dead but the current Jean Grey in current times is actually a younger Jean Grey from earlier in her timeline who was brought back/forward to the present because #timetravel.

Don't get me started on Wolverine and X-23 either.

15. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Split (2017) - 8/10

16. chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Trainspotting 10/10
    A film classic. I love the Scottish accent

17. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Moonlight - 9/10

It was very beautiful visually and was pretty well-written. Felt like the ending could've been more conclusive though.

18. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2 - 8,5/10
    This movie was fantastic. Humour and emotional szenes fit perfect together. Especially Baby Groot :lol: Soundtrack was as awesome as the first one. Especially towards to the end, very emotional. Have to admit that at some points it was just too many effects at once for my opinion, but thats my only real problem with it. It was great fun.

19. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Logan 8.5/10

20. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I went to see The Mummy... I can't believe I'm about to say this but Tom Cruise was actually good. Annabelle Wallis wasn't great though.

It was pretty decent but I think that may only be cos we watched it in Imax 3D