Linkin Park - 'Heavy' Music Video Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 9, 2017.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

THP debuted at #3 not only because it wasn't carried by a hit single, but also because it competed with Sam Smith and Lana Del Rey, who were huge then and guaranteed #1 & #2. OML doesn't have heavy competition yet (unless someone decides to show up on the same week) but then who knows.

It's doing ok, I guess? Not as bad as the THP singles, but surprisingly ok for an aged band like Linkin Park. It went from #52 to #82 in the Hot 100, which is kind of a steep drop tbh. It's steady in the mid-20s in Alt Songs. It fell off the UK charts. They haven't promoted it as much as I wanted it to be though, but then again, songs like Waiting for the End took a while to grow.

2. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that only a few members of LP wrote that song with the other writers. Not sure how I should feel about that tbh. Also the mixed thing doesn't have to be. I have seen that on previous albums (not by LP, in general) that a few songs (or even just one song) was mixed by one mixer and the rest by another one

3. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Mike, Chester & Brad are always the members who write the lyrics since ever! this isn't something new.
    idk but i think he mixed the rest of the album too.

4. One More Rob

yeah but it says "Written by.." which basically means that all parts of the song. Not only the lyrics. as you can see form the credits the other members of the band only performed the song.

5. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

They may be, but this is the first time where the writing credits are not "WRITTEN BY LINKIN PARK" et al, so it's assumed all band members have inputs on the lyrical process. It's the first time individual members are credited - in this case, Chester, Mike and Brad.

Since not all the band members are writing lyrics anymore, this obviously means that this is the beginning of the band selling out. It's coming guys. :kappa:

minuteforce likes this.
  6. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

They're sold out since they've signed to Warner.:halfkappa:

The Joesen One and minuteforce like this.
  7. One More Rob

As I mentioned I don't think its "limited to the lyrics" as it just says "written by" and not "lyrics written by" and/or "Music written by" so I think its referring to the song as a hole and not just to lyrics etc.

8. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

BBC radio one been playing it unstop today

9. UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

MTM had this -
    "Lyrics and Vocals by Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington"

10. One More Rob

Yes but it still said "Written by Linkin Park" as in, everyone wrote the music, which in MTMs case is obvious since every member wrote 'seeds'.

11. Majorfort

Majorfort Active Member

You know just had a shower thought moment about the Mercedes car. Still not getting over the #ad but I think what could have worked or at least lessen the "out of place" look is that Mike, Joe or to the very least the Art team custom design the car looks. It was suppose to stand out that LP and Mercedes worked together in the past and in this video right? Vinyl wrap it or something. Yes it was just 4-5 secs but at least make it look appropriate and not just "stock" Mercedes car.

12. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

One More Rob and Michele like this.
  13. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Not bothered by the car, really...

14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

@Astat, and the rest of you: I told you that Emily Wright doesn't sing on "Heavy"! :p

15. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Not necessarily.

And "written by" means the song, not just lyrics. They would specify otherwise if that was the case. Literally the first instance of an LP song not being credited to all members of the band since 1999.

One More Rob likes this.
  16. blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

So they just come back to their ROOOTZ. :bradwink:

17. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

So I guess I'll be the only one not in love with this post. It wasn't very good the first time, so it's a shame you had to post it twice. At least you admitted you just like the attention.

I get you were trying to slam people calling Heavy the worst video ever, but in the process you turned around and, whether intentionally or not, just ended up criticizing the band a whole lot for their music videos by (over) generalizing the crap out of them. A lot of it somewhat unfairly. You do it once, maybe twice, it gets shrugged off and you focus on the cases you made for videos that are maybe accurate and deserving. But you do it inaccurately several times, and suddenly the rest of the post loses credibility, and makes me want to say something when generally I don't do a whole lot of "confrontational" posts.

- You knocked year-2001, music-video-budget CGI for In the End
    - Castle of Glass : A girl has problems with her husband dying in combat... you're joking, right? No, of course you are. The entire post had humourous undertones and intent. Surely that's the only way that this is all you would take from the video for Castle of Glass. That or you just forced it to fit into your narrative, for the sake of emphasis. Accuracy be damned.
    - Breaking the Habit : No, the band isn't just performing the song. There's a story unfolding there too, animated, as you pointed out with your "twist"
    - Bad over-simplifying on Burning in the Skies, Numb, Until it's Gone, and really, even Crawling. Or wait, I'm sorry, did you NOT want the music videos to have anything to do with the songs? Because then yes, you're onto something. Burning in the Skies didn't even center around the girl in the bathroom, she was just one of a few characters sharing focus. But again, wouldn't fit if you couldn't precede it with "A girl has problems", I know. The girl in Until it's Gone was barely even in it, that video was primarily band members playing the song. But how dare they show fleeting glimpses of a girl struggling with something in a video for a song about not fully seeing how important something was to you until you don't have it anymore.....
    - Guilty All the Same was experimental. They had you actually play a simplified video game along to that video. And you're counting it in the same way as conventional music videos from them?
    - Lost in the Echo, same as above. They tried an interactive element there. But it's cool we'll just ignore that, and we'll ask the video to be just as straight-forward and to the point as a conventional video anyway.
    - Given Up and Lying from You weren't official singles, they were promotional videos. There's a reason little work was put into those videos. Also, gee, if promoting Live in Texas, maybe the footage should be live?

To even say so and so "has problems"... I have news for you (no, not a twist. Sorry, I know you love those)... lots of Linkin Park songs are about problems people face. Like... a lot. Also...and I know this is crazy... music videos should generally have something to do with the song...

How many things can a band do for a music video? They've had over 20 music videos in their 17 years, and it can easily be argued they have tried to do new or different things. But at the foundation, it's a band, and it's their music, so what are the options? Shots of the band performing? Check. Story-driven sections without band members? Check. Animation? Check. Interactive elements? Check. (Even had a 360 video for Fort Minor's Welcome, obviously that's not Linkin Park directly, but it's more "trying stuff" from members of it). Pts.of.Athrty, in line with Reanimation's themes, was computer-animated, there's another thing you could do. Special effects or just several other variations on band performances? Check. Instead of going through more, tell me instead what they've missed? Honestly, what could they do that they haven't, or that you'd like them to do?

Also, I have to ask, did YOU get tired of writing "But wait, there's a twist!"? I hope you were copy/pasting to spare your fingers the same pain it was on the reader's eyes to read it over and over again. It was funny the first time, or three.

I get where you're coming from, but that seems like a bit of an odd correlation to make. Does this take away from the positive work of Music for Relief?

That isn't product placement. New Divide was basically written for Transformers, and got a music video to promote the movie. New Divide as you've noticed doesn't appear on any studio release for Linkin Park, unlike What I've Done and Iridescent, songs used with Transformers but not written solely for it. Castle of Glass didn't actually show Medal of Honor logos or anything (correct me if I'm mistaken, but pretty sure it didn't) and again, appears on a studio release, and wasn't written for the game alone, instead just used in promotions for it, and arguably had the themes it had in it due to this influence.

Um, not me. I love the In the End video for more than just because it's attached to a song I love. You can't be so critical of CGI from 2001 with a music video's budget. I actually liked the whales and other stuff that was computer-generated in that video, and it wouldn't suck if it wasn't for In the End, it just maybe helps that it is. I liked the set design, the rain coming in towards the end, how Chester and Mike are one-high-one-low for most of the video, the band shots and camera work. I like a lot of things about it that aren't solely just due to what song it's for.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Iopia and Halfway Dwight like this.
  18. One More Rob

[​IMG]

This is the post of the year ladies and gentlemen. If I was a literate person this is what I would've done.

19. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Eh. We've seen videos of the band discussing heavy and the sound and everything. Its not like everything was produced on a computer by Mike and Brad, then Chester and Kiiara recorded vocals and it was all finished. The other band members probably just had a less significant role in writing lyrics and other aspects of the song, which is okay.

20. One More Rob

http://lpfancorner.com/14066-2/

Not sure if this has been posted here (or even if its allowed to) but its an interview with the dude that doubled for chester. A little sneak peak. The two doubles are (If I understood correctly) good friends but didn't really find out until being like "OMG I'm in a Linkin Park video" to each other.