Brad Delson Interview with MusicRadar - Discussing Guitar on Linkin Park's New Album One More Light

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Apr 3, 2017.

Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

Tbh, I find electric guitair being in the front to stick out like a sore thumb with a long sharp nail that shred my eardrum to bits most of the time.

But that's just me.

Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I still remember that cardboard fender guitar video on YT. Fucking snobs everywhere(although what do you expect out of YT comments).

Sasuke likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Don't get me wrong, I found it wonderful to hear Brad got a little crazier than usual on THP, but I never got into Linkin Park for the guitar.

That being said, I do think Brad makes some pretty fun sounding and memorable riffs on LP songs. Yeah they may not be extremely complex, but they're instantly recognizable. When you hear the opening riffs to say OSC or Faint for instance, you immediately know what song it is.

Iopia likes this.
    donald37

donald37 Member

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

This isn't relevant to this thread at all. If you want to promote your stuff you can do it in our Your Projects section.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Did you listen to a different Living Things than I did?

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I think Brad used an offset Fender on MTM and ATS but not sure which songs, since he defaults to Strats and PRS double-cuts when he plays live. Jazzmasters are really golden when you play them clean, which I imagine is how a lot of guitars are played on OML. I really appreciate their guitar engineer, not sure how he finds the stuff he does.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Nope. But I did listen to the one where the guitars on the live version of Lost in the Echo are night-and-day different because of how buried they are on the album mix, the octave part in the bridge of In My Remains is practically nonexistent on the album mix, the sixteenth-note scratch/noise guitar in the chorus of Burn it Down is only audible on the multitracks, the chopped-up guitar on Lies Greed Misery is barely identifiable as guitar on the album, the clean parts in I'll Be Gone are only decipherable because they were copied over from Primo where they're louder, the acoustic guitars on Castle of Glass are basically inaudible, the guitars on Victimized almost exclusively have pitch shifting/harmonizing effects on them that make them sound more like synth than guitar, the guitars in Roads Untraveled are mostly indistinguishable from the organ part playing in the same register, Skin to Bone, Until it Breaks, and Tinfoil either have no guitar at all or minimal pad/droning effects that don't immediately sound like guitar, and the palm-muted guitars in the second chorus of Powerless are hard to pick out without heavily manipulating the song's EQ.

But hurr durr, I'll Be Gone has that one really loud distorted guitar part that seems to be the only thing people ever cite as an example of prominent guitar work on that album, so clearly I'm the one who's wrong here, right? :lol:

Andreina, Noosh, Rocky and 1 other person like this.
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You're starting an argument. About Linkin Park guitars. With Astat.

ASTAT.

[​IMG]

Sasuke likes this.
    Delicious Dave

I don't really care enough to have an argument.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I will agree that Brad probably does an overall better job of explaining a given album's direction better than the others, who tend to use catchwords and hyperbole (that's not necessarily a bad thing, as marketing is needed to sell albums/songs, after all). Brad just goes right into it, and gives a practical explanation of how the guitars are arranged, and in the case of OML, how they will complement the song, rather than be a foundation for the instrumentals. This is how I interpreted his words, so who knows what he really means until May 19.

murphyLP

murphyLP The blood of innocence burning in the skies

Mike said in an interview these days when asked "Is there any question you want to answer but no one asked you already about the new album?" and he said :"Actually if there´s something i wanna talk about i´ll just say whether you asked or not"

So...Mike´s interviews pretty much gonna be the way he wants to be!!! With that said is much better when other members get the chance to talk because we can have different and interesting stuff.

Delicious Dave

I'm honestly way more excited for this than THP.