Let's discuss Mike Shinoda's singing.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Jun 3, 2014.

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Mike is a great singer. But when it comes to live..... I could sing better than him live....

The mall track is the best I've heard mike sing since MTM era.

I was completely disappointed when I heard LT because I expected something like the mall soundtrack instead of In my Remains

annie likes this.
    Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Saw this on my Facebook :lol: ''I was listening to heavy metal and I stopped because of some cunt screaming'' in reference to Rebellion

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Mike just sounds very nervous live. If he had more confidence in himself and his singing, I think his live voice would benefit greatly. There have been golden moments for him (ex. The Catalyst @ Red Square)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

He does hit some slightly higher notes in "Skin To Bone" and "Powerless" :)

DannyLP

DannyLP Well-Known Member

First of all, to those saying chester can't sing with emotion... listen to Slow ya roll by young buck....
    Second, Mike and Chester are like Peanut butter and jam. Both are pretty good on their own but its really when they are both on the same track that the magic happens. (Prolly also why most of you like Linkin Park to begin with)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Again, they both have their strengths and weaknesses which complement each other.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I feel that mike is nervous singing live or something. When he just goes for it it's awesome

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i think the lack of emotion on chester's singing is a bit of linkin park and mostly mike fault. listen to grey daze, dead by sunrise, and even Slow Ya Roll as Danny said above, if thats not emotional or something like that...

Chester is one of the best and most versatile singers since grunge died, but in LP he just do more of the same, similar high notes and screams on most songs, and push himself to fit LP music.

Compare in my remains live to out of time, he hits similar notes on both songs, for some reason he struggles and sounds bad on 90% of IMR performances while in Out Of Time he sounds good live

annie and Gravity_LP like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

That's why when I heard Rebellion for the first time, I'm totally impressed the way both Chester & Mike compliment each other. I mean, unlike GATS, Wastelands & in some parts of UIG, those three songs it feels like being forced to a certain degree in order to please the casual listeners & as usual to satisfy what they're looking for; That scream. In Rebellion, Chester's voice sounds natural and you can hear the passion especially on the chorus part..

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

You can buy NRL and ATL on ITunes?! OHMYGOD! :facepalm:

SeLDfC

SeLDfC Well-Known Member

Mike is nervous when he sings live but sometime when he is doing the back-vocals and chester is stopping before mike sometime you can here how good mike could actually sing live!!

Bane likes this.
    outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

this is funny, he probably feels more conforable doing backvocals live because theres no presure on him

Bane likes this.
    UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I honestly love Mike's vocal. So different from Chester in a great way.

In terms of Mike's live performance... I think he is nervous and unable to handle his breathing properly. Not just his solo vocal parts, but sometimes his backing vocal duties are not executed properly as well. And, I remember him saying in an interview that he learns how to sing (probably partly) from Chester. Which I think may not be a good idea.

Teeps

Teeps The World Fell Away

In terms of pure technicality, Chester is a much better singer for Linkin Park. Mike's baritone voice fails to cut through much, even in shallower mixes. That said, he's a great singer in the studio. The end of Blackout will forever be one of my favorite bits LP ever wrote, and Mike kills it. But he's got a very limited range (G2 to G4-ish in chest voice and up to Eb5 in falsetto) and can't scream or belt nearly as well as Chester (who can belt and scream well into the 5th octave and is consequently better suited for LP's heavy stuff).
    Still, Chester's voice has weakened significantly of late. The Hunting Party and its tour took a toll; I think it's clear his voice was one of the reasons there is no screaming on One More Light. It's hurting his voice, at least somewhat. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Mike's voice on future releases, rapping or singing.

annie likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

He used to have a really weak voice around the MTM era but he's improved a lot since then. I think he personally learned from Chester what to do correctly as a singer? Just my guess. I think Mike sounded the best on Castle of Glass.

I still prefer Chester's voice.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Captain-EO likes this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Chester has off days, sure, but in these acoustic performances he still seems strong as hell. Also, Mike's singing on acoustic BID is probably the best I've ever heard from him live. It's definitely a comfortable range for him and it sounds great in that rendition, especially with Chester's harmonies.

I can't wait to hear Invisible, Sorry for Now, that Martin Garrix track (when the heck is that dropping??), and whatever other singing from Mike we're gonna get.

Sasuke likes this.
    Kaciekk

Kaciekk Well-Known Member

I may actually like Mike's voice better than Chester's, especially on The Hunting Party. I don't know, there something about his voice I love. It's deeper, it's somewhat soothing, and flawed. I love that. He just needs a little more confidence when singing on stage :D

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Three words for y'all.

No Roads Left.

Sasuke likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I prefer Mike's singing over Chester tbh, his low voice is so fucking relaxing and chill, I fucking love it. and his live singing is improved too.
    [​IMG]

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Speaking Mike Shinoda's singing.

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT this album. He's come so goddamned far.

Avo, Gibs, BTorio and 3 others like this.