Linkin Park - Good Goodbye ft. Stormzy and Pusha T Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I have yet to hear the new song, though going by the comments, it looks like I can probably expect another round of mixed feelings. I really thought there was a high chance that Mike may go back to his rap/hip-hop roots a bit more and write lyrics in the vein of his earliest work. I mean, the band kept hyping how the songs were so laser-focused on lyrics and melodies, after all. I still haven't lost hope that Mike can write verses as technically proficient and cleverly worded as his pre-HT material.

2. eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

I like Mike and Stormzy's verses and enjoyed the song way more than I thought I would. But Battle Symphony is still my favorite song (I fucking loved it).

3. dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

I am a hardcore Linkin Park fan. Up until the latest album, I used to get like super excited whenever they released a song. I would immediately share it with my friends who would typically like it too. These songs, I am too embarrassed to even share. I know they are trying to experiment but this has gone too far, even for me. I listened to the song once. I have absolutely no desire to listen to it again. That chipmunk sound? I can't even describe how much I hate it. Maybe I am over-reacting. Maybe this is good. I not much musically qualified to judge it on an intricate level. But I just miss those feelings, those goosebumps which I used to get when listening to Linkin Park. Very few bands could give me that. I hate the fact that I can't enjoy LP's music now. This makes me sad. Very sad.:(

4. Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

After listening to it, i actually think this song would've benefited from less Chester. Contrary to what I've seen from most people, i think his intro and chorus are the weakest part of the song. That said, song is okay.

Brandon likes this.
  5. jdanek630

jdanek630 Well-Known Member

I'll be turning 30 in June. I've been a fan of the same 6 guys that have primarily made this band over the last 19-20 years.

I consider this to be more of an experimental album. The band won't say it. But it is. It's a "risky" album in the opposite vein of A Thousand Suns. ATS simply took the theme to Minutes to Midnight (doomsday clock; end of the world) and expanded the boundaries on it sonically. This album seems to have a lot more elements of positivity and hope. While it's not my traditional cup of tea, I'm really liking how different this album will be.

Backstreet Boys? Even though most of their songs are written for them, the songs are sung with more heart and passion than a lot of acts that try to fit into Linkin Park's ever-evolving genre.

This is a song that I can imagine blasting in my car with the sun roof open and having a good time. The beat, rhythm, and vibe make up for the lackluster lyrics IMHO.

Serenity and Abel like this.
  6. fio1310

fio1310 Well-Known Member

BOYS BOYS BOYS!!!! WHAT A BANGER!!!

Only thing I'd add is a slight variation on the way Chester sings Good Goodbye in the final chorus, with a bit more punch, maybe slightly higher, to mark the end of the song, kind of like in Until It's Gone (which this song shits all over IMO).

Bring on may, can't wait. These guys rock.

Sasuke likes this.
  7. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

...well I mean that's exactly what I was talking about lol.

Jason likes this.
  8. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Pretty much this. I'm getting to that point too.

Jason likes this.
  9. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

Holy shit, that was soo good. This was the song I was the least excited for but it really blew me away. I know the lyrics aren't the best but I really liked the execution, especially Mike's. I also really liked Chester's voice in the chorus.

My ranking so far would be:
    1.Battle Symphony
    2.Good Goodbye
    3.Heavy

So far I've liked all the songs. So excited for the album!

eunyoungg likes this.
  10. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

Alexrednex likes this.
  11. Crankshaft

Crankshaft Je m'appelle Baguette

I love it. While i kinda expected to not like Stormzy's verse, it's actually Pusha's verse that i feel like could have been better. But all in all, it sounds awesome to me :lol:

12. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Looking forward to the music video. I expect this to be more of a hit.

13. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

There's a lot more to those verses than just "I'm gonna use big words to sound cool" like you say. :rolleyes:

Alexrednex and AkirraKrylon like this.
  14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Flames. Dope shit.

Sasuke likes this.
  15. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I suppose I should feel grateful that after...17 years?...I can still listen to these songs and enjoy them. It's sad to see people who have followed the band since the beginning, like me, suddenly say they're not getting anything from these songs.

I don't care what the genre is. Linkin Park have NEVER written lyrics that are deep or intricate. The sound has ALWAYS had pop undertones. It is what it is. They're the same guys, doing the same stuff, but going about it in a different way. For me, it's the presentation that has kept me captivated all these years. The way vocals are delivered, or the combination of synths and sonic elements that add a tremendous amount of ambiance to a track. For that, I know I'll stick with them until they hang it up for good some day. Call it blind fan-ness or whatever lol. I'm not a musical genius. I'm not trying to listen to music that is going to blow my mind every single time. I'm looking for music that invokes emotions and feelings. That's what LP does. They're never going to have a level of intricacy that other masters of genres have...but that's fine. They never have, and I never expect them to. They make music that makes me feel things and is exciting for me to listen to. And, at this point in their careers, I consider every release a blessing.

Jmuuh, The Joesen One, Abel and 4 others like this.
  16. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Love how the reactions on the new music have either been 'I LOVE THIS' or 'THIS IS GOD AWFUL' with zero inbetween.

:lol:

Mitch, Deliveranze, Sasuke and 6 others like this.
  17. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Basically, ATS all over agian.

18. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Oh man! I LOVE THIS STUFF! So excited for the whole album.

19. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

I don't think its god awful, but I don't love it by any means. I'm between "meh" and "this is ok I guess." I like it better than Heavy (not saying much at all) but like I said in my initial comments, it's still got this glossy pop layer brushed all over it that just makes me feel like its cheesy to listen to.

ATS was a huge departure but it still felt like you could sense the other members there in some way, and it's their best album by far...

From what we've heard so far from OML it sounds like its gonna be Chester & Mike + Guests: The Album.

20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

To be fair, my friend who heard the record did feel that's what this album would be like. So he isn't off base :lol:.