Linkin Park - Good Goodbye ft. Stormzy and Pusha T Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Kendrick isn't the end all be all of rap music. He's talented but hardly some rap messiah sent down from above to save rap music. The amount of Kendrick dick riding I see on the internet sometimes is pathetic.

Avo, Deliveranze, ciao_fiv and 6 others like this.
  2. TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

I fucking love this song, probably my favourite out of the 3, Mike's flow, while it may be a bit different than what he does, sounded great for this song. Mike doesn't have to have the same flow every song, I liked the switch up.
    He could have been more lyrical, but eh, it still sounds good.

Couple other things:
    1) There are live drums in the song, you can hear them in the chorus.
    2) There is live guitar in this song, and it sounds really nice (most easily heard in the chorus) . It fits it well, I really see what Brad was saying in that interview
    3) Those things are not perquisites to make the song good, I never got into LP for the the guitar or drums or whatever, it was how they're mixed, and this song does that well.

If you don't believe me:

Halfway Dwight likes this.
  3. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Mike Shinoda, Mike Shinoda, Mike Shinoda

:)

I'm not feeding into this. You shouldn't need to ask it after what I last said, as I showed you it was irrelevant, and thus I don't like the way it's coming across.

I've got a feeling I could name anybody and you'd still say it was wrong, they were bad choices, and that I don't know rap.

And that you know everything.

I'll save you the trouble. I'm openly no rap expert. I don't care enough to be one. But that isn't important. If you don't like how somebody sounds, technical ability means less and less. I even pointed out that I didn't say he was bad at his job. Bieber is pretty good at pop. I don't like listening to Bieber though.

Why don't you go ahead and name 3 good ones? I'd love to continue to stick to my guns and say what I really think of them, regardless of what the world around me thinks. Let's see what you "know" since apparently knowledge and opinion is the same to you.

(Cue the "You don't have an answer because you don't know any good rappers"... nah. More like I'm not convinced yet your question should be dignified with a proper answer. We'll see if that changes)

P.S. I also love the idea of answering anything "real quick"... on a forum, with people from around the world, in different time zones, on different sleep schedules...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Avo, ciao_fiv, brady and 8 others like this.
  4. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Both true statements...

Also, this is a Linkin Park forum. There's a significant amount of fans that have never listened to a hip-hop album or whose top 5 consists of Mike, Eminem, Logic, G-Eazy, and Macklemore.
    When a good amount of people get upset at the word "hoe" or say that Mike is a better rapper than Rakim or Black Thought, you're not in the best place to have a discussion about good rappers

6. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Well, it still a question of your own musical taste! who the hell cares if your favorite rapper white, black or fucking orange is, black rapper doesn't mean automatic good rapper!

7. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

The thing that bothers me is that people are trying to delegitimize other people's opinions and invalidate how they feel. It's a whole other level of snobbery and trolling. There's no good reason for it.

We don't need to go so far to try to prove ourselves right and others wrong all the time. Just let things go and realize that people have different views. Saying that you don't like Kendrick doesn't mean that you don't know rap music. That's like saying that not liking Queen means that you don't know anything about rock music. It's just ignorant by ignorant standards. It in no way a reasonable or mature view of the world.

Noosh, ciao_fiv, Meteorain and 6 others like this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

As a hip hop fanatic, Kendrick deserves a lot of praise, but honestly only white "REAL hip hop" kids would think he is gonna "save hip hop." Hip hop doesn't need saving. It's evolving like any genre and there are dozens of subgenres in hip hop just like rock.

Agent and Blake like this.
  9. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

People really need to stop talking about what white kids are like when it comes to rap music. Honestly, sometimes I believe, people would respond much differently about such comments if the talk was about black kids. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just something that bothers me when I see it.

crazygolfer and Iopia like this.
  10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Sure it's a matter of musical taste.... and that's not what I meant. I mean LP's fan base contains the "I only listen to GOOD hip-hop" (not the same as the "REAL hip-hop" crowd). Those people grew up hating rap until nu-metal came out and got kids into Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Sage Francis etc. and were probably the ones complaining about Mike "sounding black" on later albums. Those people seem to care about color, accent, or whatever. And I'm sure they wouldn't care that much for Mike if he were fully Japanese either.

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

People are beginning to get racist up in here...Never thought I'd see that type of activity at LPA. Times sure have changed.

12. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Dude thank you, seriously. The subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) "I respect your opinion, but just so you know, you don't have good taste" going on really bothers me. Who cares? Who decides what's "good" and what's not? It's such an arbritrary and baseless distinction that the only words I can use to describe people who genuinely believe they have "superior taste" are, as you said, immature and ignorant.

Noosh, ciao_fiv, Vic and 7 others like this.
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Kinda true tbh. I've seen people complain about Mike on Living Things "sounding too black" and most do only listen to Eminem, Mike or underground rap like Anticon shit. People complain about black rappers "speaking gibberish" or not "using real words" when they don't understand. Recently, Stormzy is under scrutiny for that.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  14. Derek

Thank you. About time someone said it. Skin color should not come into music discussion. White, black, whatever...it's offensive.

Noosh, Rhel, ciao_fiv and 2 others like this.
  15. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I'm not even specifically talking about white kids, just kids who grew up with parents that didn't allow "ghetto" music and are hella prejudice....but yeah they mostly happen to be mostly white.
    And if we were talking about black kids...well....honestly, I don't see how he could have this conversation about black kids... because it's about rap.

It's not like you'll hear black people say "I don't like country, but I sure love Darius Rucker"....nah.

16. Derek

I actually have quite a few African American friends who like country. I feel that despite not intentionally trying to do so, you're just over generalizing here. My mom hated hip-hop in the 90s and felt it promoted 'cop killing' and violence, but my brother, white as can be...still owned a ton of hiphop records, some even being gangsta rap.

ciao_fiv likes this.
  17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, people could stand to be a little more considerate of hip-hop and grime's culture and roots when criticising this song instead of mocking Stormzy's use of patois and whatnot

chris2, Deliveranze and TheInterframe like this.
  18. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

You're talking to Linkin Park fans, that's hopeful wishing

Sasuke, Deliveranze and minuteforce like this.
  19. Rhel

Rhel Member

Right. I'll just go ahead and assume that's at least partially directed at me for my comment about "Bro Bros" and "Linking tings in parks". I'm from germany. I'm not a native english speaker, and I assume the same goes for quite a few people on the board and, for that matter, for a lot of Linkin Park fans in general. To me "Linking tings" just looks like writing a phonetic accent which is something that, when learning a language, you generally get taught not to do. How am I supposed to know if it's actually some clever pun or something? It's not like I'm fluent in current british urban slang terms, or even that well versed in Hip Hop in the first place, though it's not like I listen to no Hip Hop at all.
    How much of the lyrics do you think an english speaker who learned german some time in school would catch if I linked a german Hip Hop song with loads of slang and colloquialisms?

In short: Mocking a culture has nothing at all to do with it. If I was mocking anything then it was what looked to me like a rather lazy attempt to rhyme something with Linkin Park and squeeze in an extra syllable so the metre of the verse works out. Apparently it's not that, but rather just Stormzy using local slang terminology. Cool. That absolutely changes my opinion about the lyrics from a technical standpoint. But again, unless I (or anyone else for that matter) was familiar with current british slang and regional accents, there was no way for me to know that.

Had to get that off my chest now. Forgive the Rantiness please.
    Also, for what it's worth "Goodbye to the cold roads, I can't die for my postcode" is a great description for leaving behind the "bad old times".

Iopia likes this.
  20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Didn't direct it at you necessarily 'cause I've see a number of people expressing the sentiment which I was reacting to. You make some good points which I didn't consider. :)