'One More Light' Album Length Revealed to Be 35:19

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 12, 2017.

deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

I don't believe Meteora could be considered more experimental than OML. It totally is a deliberate attempt to sound like Hybrid Theory and even the band has admitted it many times. There are even songs on Meteora that are direct analogues to songs on HT. OML, on the other hand, might not be something mind-blowing in today's pop music landscape, but it is very different for the band itself. I don't find anything interesting about the two Meteora songs you've mentioned - HTF is as generic as an early Linkin Park track can get and it's kind of ridiculous how the band hyped it so much for starting on the off-beat. NL might have an interesting instrument, but it still follows the most standard structure, the Japanese flute plays the same melody a gazillion times and it doesn't really seem more different than using, say, key chains, car alarms or party sounds.

Everybody has different opinions on what experimentation is, of course, but the only track on Meteora I actually believe to explore different territories for the band at that time is Breaking The Habit. Everything else is a copy of HT. One More Light might not be something no one has ever heard before, but at least it's something entirely new for the band. It might not turn out to be Linkin Park's best record so far, but it will most certainly feature more experimentation for them than albums like Meteora and LT and it will obviously be the band's riskiest record to date.

Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

All I'm saying is these new songs lack identity. Like anybody could've made them. That to me spells lack of artistic merit.

TheZlajaZlo and Filip like this.
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Those songs at least have some clear identity in regard to LP discography.

Could any pop artists have make those? Maybe.

But any good guitar player could also pick up an acoustic and make your typical firecamp-style song. Any jazz player could make your typical jazz song. Any metal band could make your typical metal song.

fio1310

fio1310 Well-Known Member

This is true.
    I think what bothers people is that in the past, while LP never made music that could honestly be called wildly innovative, they had their own style that future bands got influenced by. Whereas now it might seem to some people that it's the other way round and they are being influenced by today's chart toppers.

Of course the issue with that argument is that LP were influenced by bands like Rage against the machine and public enemy, with their first few albums. I guess it just boils down to some people preferring the earlier influences they drew upon compared to the current ones.

Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I agree with you on that, even though I still think some of the songs aren't written well imo. Although the same can't be said for ATS, I'll still consider that album among the top in my rank list for LP. :p

On point.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Thank you. And let's be real here, one of the few but major factors that set HT and Meteora apart from the many other nu-metal albums at the time is the rap rock fusion. Besides this trait, they weren't the most unique nor groundbreaking band.
    And to be completely honest, this is very experimental for the band in the way they wrote the songs. Are we forgetting about that, too?

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

People also tend to forget that this will be a one time pop album. They wont continue in that direction with LP8.

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

With all these changes I don't even know what LP sound like, it's not like they've been making every album like HT (besides Meteora which is still dear to me because there are some songs I play very often but it's nothing new really) and they said it themselves they want to experiment. OML is obviously their biggest change regarding sound and writing but it doesn't mean we should completely write it off.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Who knows?

:devil:

fio1310

fio1310 Well-Known Member

For all we know, LP will make a prog-rock album next, with 25 minute songs that feature David Gilmour on guitar, and extended sax solos :hypo:

And THEN people would complain that they aren't doing shorter songs.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

STOP MAKING ME DREAMING!

fio1310 likes this.
    TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

But all the songs will still have intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure :shinado:

Iopia likes this.
    zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

Maynard James Keenan will do backing vocals
    Division Belly will be the title, that's confirmed information.

It will be also a title track telling a story of a man who ate too much Mm.. Cookies. :kappa:

Crankshaft

Crankshaft Je m'appelle Baguette

Not gonna lie, the idea of either Chester or Joe saxin' it up really excites me for some reason.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

There will be an intro

but the intro will never end :devil:

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

This place never ceases to amaze

SkullDevil217 and Michele like this.
    Crankshaft

Crankshaft Je m'appelle Baguette

Or better yet, the intro IS the end.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

And every once in a while Mike will say "Ugh" and "Yeah" so that you'll think that the verse is coming, but instead intro continues.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Then when the vocals finally come in it's just a re-recorded modern take on Crawling.

20. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'll agree that almost none of these songs have anything that makes them stand out considerably from what's popular out there now.

However "pop music is easy, rock and rap are not" is probably the stupidest way to "justify" that opinion.

Halfway Dwight likes this.