Linkin Park's New Album 'One More Light' Has Leaked

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 17, 2017.

1. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Remember back then when we heard ATS for the first time? I used to hate and compare BITS bridge guitar riff to New Divide.

2. DannyLP

DannyLP Well-Known Member

preach

3. Vic

Vic No game no life

Oh man, I'm loving Halfway Right more and more after every listen.

Mitch likes this.
  4. Mufasa

Mufasa Member

Going strong. Not going to listen until official release, very tempted to though.

Lord MSG likes this.
  5. KrylonShadow

KrylonShadow Well-Known Member

I made myself an edit of Sorry For Now with most of the Blackbear-ification removed. So much freaking better. Now I can finally listen to this song on repeat.

6. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I despised ATS on first listen. It's now my favourite album (after Reanimation - if that counts haha!).

But then I am digging OML on first listen so I dunno...

7. Asyrix

Asyrix New Member

I remember how much I hated ATS my first few listens. Now it's my favorite album of all time. I'm looking forward to my first listen of OML. I still don't know what to expect but I'm rather excited.

Sasuke likes this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch YTB

I also just want to say how much I enjoy the mixing on this album. I actually didn't mind THP mixing but LT was terrible.

9. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

As for my album ranking now:

ATS
    M
    OML
    HT
    THP
    MTM
    LT

10. eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

I listened to it one time until now and it sounds different that what I expected. Still don't know what to say (but in a positive way (?)).

11. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, the mixing on this album is great. Sounds huge and energetic, without being overly loud and crammed (Living Things).

Ok, Sharp Edges got a little bit better on like my 4th listen. But still feels like my least favorite, besides maybe GG. And I currently get goosebumps every time I listen to Sorry for Now.

12. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

Listened to the album start to finish (no interruptions) over 10 times now. I don't really like to give albums 1-10 rating or whatever because some people use unnecessary decimals, or a 7 will be average when it really should be a 5 that's average. Not going over every song, just things that stuck out to me the MOST.

Positives:
    Vocal melodies: The band stated they started with vocal melodies before anything else. It shows. Lots of catchy stuff to sing a long to, even if you're not crazy for it.
    Bass: Feels louder/more present than in previous albums.
    Sounds: Joe doesn't disappoint. If I were expecting a pop album from LP, it would sound like this in terms of instruments used/production. Sound manipulation was more present than I thought. Nice use of volume swells. Some background sounds are ATS'ish. Not a big fan of chipmunk effect - doesn't "ruin" any songs for me (oh wait).
    Length: So glad this album doesn't drown itself out. It reminds me of METEORA in terms of "a short, in your face, here it is, no time to waste" kind of record.
    "Nobody Can Save Me": What I like about this track is it doesn't seem like LP over-tried on this song, then it ends abruptly. I immediately wanted to replay it after it finished for the first time. Doesn't get stuck in your head right away. You need to listen to this song multiple times to "get it".
    "One More Light": LP continues to showcase their talent writing ballads, starting with "My December" back in the day.
    "Sharp Edges": Riskiest song on the record. I don't LOVE this song, but I appreciate it.

Negatives:
    "Sorry For Now": Man, I really liked the track at first, but the anti-climactic "drop" post-chorus was terrible, and at this point in the record, I was hoping all chipmunks were dead. Guess not. I like everything else about the song, but I feel like I should put this in the negative section for now. Sorry.... for now.
    "Heavy": Most lazy, uninspired, uncreative, and rushed song on the record.
    "Halfway Right" lyrics: I've heard too many songs about people getting high. I'm bored. Not impressed.
    Lack of Mike: Thought he would at least sing a long with Chester more throughout the record. No "Blackout" style switching of the vocals on this record.
    Too many guests and co-songwriters: I feel like the band was better off with Rick Ruben.

Overall, I can now see why the band chose the word "risky". While I will continue to play OML and probably will through Summer, I'll be expecting something to really knock my socks off from their NEXT album. ATS is still champion (not including HT and METEORA because I put those 2 records in a complete different category because they're so different than the others and they're both equally as great).

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Toffer likes this.
  13. Zakksalvo

Zakksalvo Well-Known Member

That's honestly really sad to think about. They've been with me through pretty much my entire life. I have their lyrics and a drawing from Mike (that he drew when I met him) tattooed on me. I think people forget sometimes how special this band has been their whole career.

Lord MSG likes this.
  14. eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

I like Chester's vocals a lot. It feels different in most of the tracks, it's refreshing.

Music taste is something funny, I've seen people saying how boring OML is while for me, THP takes the title of most boring album they've ever released.

(Actually I'm starting to get annoyed reading some of the negative opinions, but That's The Internet).

Blake likes this.
  15. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Dear @AdamWBR
    In case you are browsing the forums, I just wanted to pop in and say please bring to the attention of the parties involved to release Sorry For Now as a single, as I believe it could be a huge song on radio. In my opinion, it would be a great opportunity missed if this song gets passed up for another track; keep the momentum going strong after Heavy. At the very least, I hope you take my opinion into consideration as I would love to see more chart success for Linkin Park in the future.

Rahat, HybridT and Blake like this.
  16. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

It's funny because Manny Marroquin who mixed LT also mixed more than half of OML songs :lol:

Mitch likes this.
  17. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Sorry For Now is fucking MASSIVE. Easily my favorite on the album. Holy shit Mike's voice. This needs to be a single.

Avo, Alexrednex, Ree and 1 other person like this.
  18. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

After two full listens of the album. I FUCKING LOVE IT! My hope for this one came down after listening to 'Heavy' 'Battle Symphony' and 'Good Goodbye'. I'm not saying that they are bad songs, but I didn't feel anything special or attractive besides that they are good tunes. And it was even worse after all these, in my opinion, stupid and not informative at all reviews. But after I listened to 'Talking To Myself' live at Buenos Aires and to 'Invisible', my hope grew up a little more, but not as much as it was before :(
    So after listening to the full album, I'm actually impressed and satisfied with the new material. I don't know why but BS, GG and even Heavy sounds better if you listen to the album in full.

Summary:
    • My favorites ones are: 'Talking To Myself', 'Invisible', 'Sorry For Now', 'One More Light' and 'Sharp Edges'.
    • 'Sorry For Now' disappointed me. Despite being one of my favorites, I was expecting a little bit more. I feel like the chorus starts very early and the song is not that long enough as I would like it to be. I prefer longer songs because I think they develop way better than short 3 minutes songs.
    • I think 'Nobody Can Save Me' is a very good opener, the same goes to 'Sharp Edges' as a closer.
    • I love this album and I feel it very fresh right now. But I don't think it will have the same replay value as ATS or MTM. So I think this album will be in the third spot on my list.
    ATS > MTM = HT > OML > LT > THP > M​

19. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

First listen verdict:
    Summary: Not a bad album, though not the best; love the positive and chill vibe the music has, even for the more emotional and reflective songs.
    - Non-singles are better than the singles(except Invisible), lyrically and musically, therefore I like pretty much almost half the album
    - Pleasantly surprised the studio versions aren't far off from the live versions( esp TTM)
    - The opener and closer for this album are probably the few best ones for any LP album
    - Song favs: 'Nobody Can Save Me', 'Sharp Edges', 'Halfway Right', 'Invisible', 'One More Light'

Will have to listen to a few more times to decide where it'll stand in terms of LP albums rank for me.

20. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that Sharp Edges has received the praise it has, I figured this thread would tear that song apart as being something that sounds like Shawn Mendes, and being probably the least "epic" closer on an LP album since Meteora (minus the Messenger, since that feels more like an epilogue to Catalyst). I think it's an ok song, but can't help but feel like there could be some huge, awesome track after it to finish the album. Or, just switch SE and OML and it'll be a better order imo. It is certainly a very different song for them. You could play Sharp Edges and pretty much any other track off any album and it'd be hard to believe it's the same artist.