Linkin Park - "True to the Artist" Video Clip

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, May 23, 2017.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Linkin Park have just uploaded a video of Mike and Brad discussing the new sound of their new album, One More Light. Specifically, they touch on how the album might be perceived and what it might mean for the group at this point in their career. The video can be watched on YouTube or here below.

What do you think of the video? Come and discuss in our forums.

Source: Linkin Park YouTube

LPJM46

LPJM46 Member

I honestly can't believe how much crap they've gotten from their fans. I feel bad for them. Can you imagine putting so much effort into an album and then your own fans say it sucks. This album doesn't deserve this much criticism. It's ridiculous. It's a great album. Obviously I'm biased because I love this band but I'm also a music fan and I love all kinds of music and this album seriously got WAY to much shit. No offense to Panic at the Disco but Brendan Urie totally went pop and that album got so much praise and has like 4 or 5 stars on iTunes. Why? Cause his fans are loyal. Same with Coldplay. Did they lose some fans who didn't like the new direction? Of course they did. But compared to LP? Not even close. OML has 2 1/2 stars on iTunes... are you kidding me? Cmon LP fans. Listen to the bands advice and at least try to go on the journey with them and give the music a chance before you go "SELLOUTS" or whatever.

Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place on the website to post this, but I feel after further listening to this album further and seeing some of the Administrator's posts of this album, I can't help but feel this is a post I need to write, somewhere, anywhere, as a person that has often lurked around these forums since sometime around Pre-ATS release hype. This might not be an organized post, and honestly, while this will come with some research on my end, this will mainly focus on a free flow of thoughts that have come across my time here. This might seem like nothing more than hateful post to some, but trust me when I say I will do my very best to be objective here as possible. I just feel like this is an important topic that should be discussed with the LPA community and will be my thesis for this post: Derek was unfit to give One More Light a proper review.

A few precursors before I continue with this train of thought: I do have a more negative opinion of OML than I do a positive one, and I hate that I have to say this, but I'm not one of those "back to their roots" fans that have a notorious reputation on this website, nor is this a personal attack on Derek. I believe Derek is being honest in his opinion of how he sees this album, and some might say that it should end there, because he isn't some shill for Linkin Park--but ending it there would be absolute nonsense. Of course Derek is not an shill for Linkin Park--that should go without saying--but Derek has extreme bias when it comes to Linkin Park, and for his review to give OML an A anywhere that's not just a post on LPA has been agitating for me for a while, even before ever listening to the album in full. It makes perfect sense why a review like his would never be taken seriously from websites such as metacritic or by the public at large. The only place a review like that should be a place such as this, a Linkin Park fansite. Another staff should have reviewed the album, someone that has much less biases when writing an album review and sincerely makes me question the journalistic integrity of the website.

Derek's opinion of the album is reinforced by the fact that this website is an echochamber for Linkin Park's music. Keep in mind that yes, I know that there are people that reside on this website that were only fans of nu-metal, and that Derek has gone out of his way several times lately to say that this website is not all flower and rainbows when pertaining to Linkin Park. To an extent, that's true. He has stated at least a couple times that he has criticisms of Living Things and later, The Hunting Party. This, however, contradicts what he has stated about these albums upon their release dates. Even as his opinion of these albums began to stale some time past their release dates, when talking about Living Things, he would stated "Many of these tracks would've benefited from just having even an extra minute or two to stretch their legs." "...Does this mean LIVING THINGS is a bad album? Not at all. I quite enjoy it. However; I'd really like to see a return to the idea of ATS (organic songs with fully realized movements) on the next album, instead of more firecracker songs that suffocate the song's creativity with deliberately short runtimes." ----July 8, 2012

If this sounds hypocritical to you, it should. he has gone on the major defensive to go on record several times to defend OML's run time. Would this album not have benefited from being firecracker songs that suffocate the song's creativity with deliberately short runtimes? Would the album not benefited if the album were more organici with fully realized movements, instead of mostly sticking to the grain and having most of these songs start with an often very short instrumental intro before starting with a samey verse/chorus/verse/ set-up. He expresses this opinion of song run time again of his review of The Hunting Party (an album he had given a B+ score to, a score I believe would not sustain today): "Some of the songs feel like they could use an extra 2 to 3 minutes of fleshing out to truly achieve their potential." --- June 4, 2014. People of course, can change their mind, and Derek, if truly have changed your mind on this stance because of this album, then I apologize for this next statement, but this makes you look like a hypocrite, someone who will defend the band in spite of your true opinions.

My other point of critique would be his continued notion that the album is experimental. Bullshit. "People who tell Linkin Park that they’re not risky because they’ve gone pop fail to realize that they are the ones the band is taking the risk on." May 14 2017. This statement confuses me on several layers. First, Derek has gone on to say many times throughout his time as the creator of this website that fans are not entitled to listen to the songs they want to listen to and should rather make the music they want to make. This is true and is a commendable statement to make. However, Linkin Park has shown time and time again throughout their time as a band that they will change genre on demand. This is a given for Linkin Park at this point of their careers and a change of genre in of itself should no longer be considered experimental for them. Ask yourselves how albums such as A Thousand Suns, The Hunting Party, and even Minutes to Midnight were experimental. There can be a plethora of reasons given to how these albums were experimental. In my mind, the only argument that can be given for One More Light is its switch in genre, and for the approach they have taken, was the safest way possible.

This is not a critique of pop itself, on the contrary, pop can be plenty experimental while also expansive in song structure and song length. I mentioned this in a previous post, but a clear example of this would be Tame Impala' album Currents. An album can also be experimental while not necessarily expanding on song structure and song length. An example of this I would argue would be Kanye West's 808's and Heartbreak, an album many deemed was career suicide for West and was met with lukewarm reviews. Graduation was Kanye's peak in terms of commercial success for Kanye, having sold over 957,000 copies in its first week in the United States alone. To release an album of him singing, with auto tune, about his feelings while being known only as a rapper at the time, was immensely ballsy, but also experimental for the genre and would go on to be highly influential for hip-hop and being ahead of its time as a key reason for the initial reviews. Compare this to OML now, and the only clear experimentation was making the lyrics much less vague, which I will commend the band for. It's a good beginning for Linkin Park to be branching out for different styles of songwriting AS A BAND, but the compliments end there for me. The album takes from current Top 40 trends much like a cookie-cutter. The song structures are very similar to their previous albums in hybrid theory, meteora, and minutes to midnight. The album feels very samey to me with the exception to the change of vocal melodies (which is appreciated, this album would be much closer to Living Things if it weren't) and the instrumentals. That does to mean this album is experimental, even for Linkin Park. Saying this album was experimental is much like Kevin Durant saying he's taking the hardest road shortly after signing with Golden State.

I will end this post on a couple notes. First, I fully believe Derek's score of an A won't hold up in the minds of many, even for Derek. When I think of A albums, I think of Albums such as Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Radiohead's OK Computer, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, The Beatles' St. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band and Abbey Road, and Nine Inch Nail's The Downward Spiral, albums that have and will stand the test of time. Albums that, even not in someone's tastes, when taken in, can still be respected. Many will say that of course Altwire's review was subjective, and to say the score was BS can be taken as a fallacy. To a certain extent I can agree to this (I can explore my view on this more if my hopes of a true debate on this sub is realized), but in the end, this should not have been Derek's A to give.

Edit: I really hope this post can spark some sort of discussion, as this was 100% my key intent for this post. I hope to discuss this with Derek, Minus, and others who seem to love the album, and hopefully have people that can at least somewhat agree with my opinion of the album. I want to be told how I'm wrong on this, and honestly part of me hopes I'm wrong about many of the things I wrote. I really hope this can generate a legitimate discussion.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Shadow, Sa6o_dfg, zayl and 4 others like this.
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The implication of this video is that One More Light was a more calculated move than the band has been letting on.

"Our intention is to make a universal record" that's a diplomatic way of saying "we want this album to appeal to the masses and sell well."

"If the response to [One More Light] is, 'meh, cool,' then we know, okay, let's not waste our time with that. Let's just do it to fulfill our creative hunger."

I mean damn. That's about as explicit as Mike could be about the band's intentions. The implication is, again, that One More Light is NOT just a creative expression. The band is basically using One More Light as a litmus test to gauge their marketability (as well as obviously being their own music which I'm sure they are proud of).

Sa6o_dfg, Filip, Bradley and 2 others like this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Im.not sure why people get so mad at this band being mainstream, or try to be mainstream. You can still bebcreatuve while also trying to appeal to the masses.

If these 6 guys were just wanting to this as a hobby then they wouldn't be signed to a label. They wouldn't be involved in charity. They wouldn't tour. They would just make tracks for fun, but they do this for a living and anyone in their position wouldn't hesitate and the opportunity to do what these guys do.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

Why feel bad for them? They are artists. This is what they signed up for. They've said it themselves. This is the album they wanted to make and they stand by their work. Every single artist in existence faces criticism. However, not every artist that faces criticism is a millionaire, gets to travel the world doing things others only get to dream of, etc. I don't feel bad for them at all. So someone online says their new music is garbage; at the end of the day, the band still wins. Maybe they get annoyed or disgruntled at bad reviews and disparaging comments but that's such a small price to pay for the success they continuously get to enjoy. And besides, an LP album getting trashed by critics and fans is not an anomaly. This same thing played out with every album since MTM.

As far as Panic at the Disco and Coldplay go, those bands have always had much heavier pop influences than LP has ever had. The transition that those bands made in sound wasn't too drastic. Keep in mind that a ton of people got introduced to heavier music via LP so of course they're gonna feel betrayed by the new sound.

tl;dr LP is not new to getting shat on and nothing is gonna change anytime soon. They'll be fine.

frezer86 and Mitch like this.
    Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

That's not everyone's issue with this direction, though. I love plenty of mainstream acts and a sense far as Linkin Park goes they've been a mainstream act for a while. My main issue is they could've done so much more with this pop direction and chose to play it safe. I'd argue to say this is their safest album they've made since Meteora. I also feel posts like this completely disregards opinions that legimately think this isn't that great of an album for what it is.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Right, so as anyone here can attest to, I NEVER defend Derek. He has temp banned me many times, accused me of some petty bullshit, all of which I was fairly guilty, and at one point banned me on Facebook for posting Lara Croft-making-sammiches jokes.

But first time for everything, right? Let's break this shisno down.

Here's the thing. Everyone has their biases. Even music reviewers. Hell, half the reviews on Metacritic and cited on Wikipedia are extremely biased, whether they be fans of band A or haters of band B. What, so someone has an extreme bias for a band, they shouldn't review it? Pitchfork has infamously made its name off of reviewing things with extreme bias and unabashedly so. Just go read the original review for The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails, which is less a critique and more a scathing article detailing in what ways someone can say an album is shit in as many words as possible.

This is also not new with music reviews. Weezer's Pinkerton was torched by critics upon release, and it wasn't until many years later that people and critics alike began seeing it in a positive light. On the flip side, With Teeth was pretty highly praised by both fans and critics when it dropped, then a few years later those same critics, fans, and even Trent Reznor himself would snidely remark on how safe and underwhelming the whole affair was.

It's almost as if someone's opinion can change over time! It's almost as if what would benefit one album doesn't necessarily benefit another!

I love Deloused In The Comatorium by The Mars Volta. It's a great introduction to a new band by Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. My one complaint about it though is that Rick Rubin's production didn't really give the album the space to breathe and grow like it should have. It felt too radio-friendly at times, when it was clear there was a story to tell and more space was required.

On the flip side, I also love the follow-up effort Frances The Mute. My complaint there, however, is the opposite. Sometimes the tracks would drag on and on, and instead of moving on to a new idea, it would overstay its welcome. I'm looking at you, L'Via L'Viaquez.

Does this make me a hypocrite? No. What one album needs is not what another album requires.

I like how you don't give the benefit of the doubt to someone. Which is a funny thing to hear from me, because everyone knows I never give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

I got into this in the Shoutbox earlier with someone else, but phrases like "experimental" and "innovative" is being taken way too broadly. Not every band can break completely new ground every time they put something out. Nine Inch Nails' effort Year Zero is not some groundbreaking glitch-heavy electronic behemoth, really. None of the sounds NIN uses in that record are new. None of the political sentiments are new. But what is new, is that it's new for NIN. It was Trent's first album focused on not personal issues, but something outside of himself. It was the first NIN album that focused purely on electronic instrumentation, rather than a guitar-based sound. That makes it an experiment in the context of NIN.

One More Light experiments in the context of Linkin Park in a lot of ways, though you may only agree with 2 of them. But Derek is right. The band crafted an album, and knowing how so many in the fanbase would react, dropped it anyway. Chester's increasingly hilarious reactions to interviews is proof enough that the band has their ear to the ground on this.

Also your stance that changing genre should no longer be considered experiment lacks merit. Even if you're expecting the unexpected, you can still be blindsided.

Comparing one band's experimentation with another's is a pointless exercise. The Backstreet Boys put out an album where they played all the live instruments. That's nothing groundbreaking to, say, The Black Keys. But to the Backstreet Boys, it's pretty experimental. But in the end, this particular passage is less about what you think of Derek and more your biases about pop.

Oh wait, you have a bias! You shouldn't be reviewing this at all.

Reviews are always subjective. And not all A albums are to be respected. Case in point, I don't have any respect for Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy at all. By your definition, since I don't respect it, it's not an A album, right?

And Derek is allowed to give whatever grade he wants. Why? Because he was given the opportunity to give whatever grade he wants. What you may find surprising is that Altwire has been making its way into respectability, as much as I hate to give Derek that compliment. The site isn't some echo chamber. He and the site have scored interviews with the following:

Amy Lee: http://www.altwire.net/2017/03/26/altwire-interview-amy-lee-2/
    From Ashes To New: http://www.altwire.net/2016/07/29/from-ashes-to-new-interview/
    Riley Breckenridge of Thrice: http://www.altwire.net/2016/04/27/thrice-riley-breckenridge-interview/ (in an amusing note, former LPA member Franny was once the manager of said band)
    Sebastian of Simple Plan: http://www.altwire.net/2016/02/20/simple-plan-interview/
    Josh Eppard of Coheed and Cambria: http://www.altwire.net/2016/02/19/altwire-interview-josh-coheed-and-cambria/
    Charlie Benante of Anthrax: http://www.altwire.net/2016/02/04/altwire-interview-anthrax/

I could keep going but I've already inflated Derek's ego enough. Derek I still think you suck for the most part. Fuck you.

I'm sorry, but in what way does this foster discussion? I'm a shitposter. I've always been a shitposter, and I recognize a shitposter when I see one. This overly long rant isn't some open invitation to discuss things civilly, it is quite clearly an attempt to discredit someone who has been working his way up from fan news site to respectable music site for over a decade. Your thesis wasn't "this is why I don't like the album." You said it yourself, your thesis was "Derek was unfit to give One More Light a proper review." What do you expect people to say? "Oh, I agree, insert person is a shit reviewer!" Either way you put it, it's just another attack on someone who just set out to give an opinion and do his job. Which, by the way, should've I dunno, been in the actual Altwire thread?

If you want to have a discussion on why the album is good or bad, everyone here is fine with that. But you literally set about to attack someone's credibility, not foster discussion. There are other threads for what you claim you want to do and for what you actually did, and this thread isn't either.

EDIT: P.S. Derek, this don't mean nothing. You still suck because you said Until It's Gone was a good song.

brady, Abel, Alexrednex and 3 others like this.
    Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

I appreciate the response Minus, but after reading your counters, I couldn't be more disappointed in the response. Here, I'll break it down.

Of course everyone has biases. The point of my post was to never say that there should be music reviews where bias is non-existent. That's not possible. However, should there not be an attempt to be as objective as possible? The first attempt at that would be to have someone else who doesn't host a Linkin Park fan site as a way to set out a way to prove that. As for the original review of The Fragile, don't you kinda make my point in the fact that they amended the review later by giving it a different, much less scathing score? I'm of the argument that someone who isn't Derek should be the one to review the album on the website.

This is exactly what I'm trying to argue, though. This album was remarkably safe and underwhelming. I'd say its at the level of right below average, and that's okay. That happens.

It's almost as if I covered that in what I wrote! Try to be a better troll, Minus. You've kinda lost your touch, old man :^) The reason why I argue it hypocrisy is because this album would really benefit from some actual changes throughout the album instead of having each song bleed into one another. They took the same formula and copy and pasted it throughout 10 songs on the album. There was nothing monumental in that, it was a safe, commercial move on the part of Linkin Park.

In a sense I can agree with you. One More Light in the context of Linkin Park "experiments" as if to say it was different for them. I can agree with that. But we can agree they did nothing new or groundbreaking with it either, and that's okay too. I just don't think they should receive brownie points for trying something new when they chose to go the safe way in terms of pop. Ignoring points I make should not give you any brownie points either, Minus. It's 100% about who is reviewing this album. In terms of what's different for the band, an attempt at change can be commended. Hell, I can commend the band in saying that this was an album was probably their best attempt at song writing since A Thousand Suns. It doesn't mean this album was anything anymore above average, but you're right, that's just my opinion. I would bet the world, however, that this album does not have a review revelation to albums you've drawn comparisons to that had the initial ire, such as The Fragile and Pinkerton, and again, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. On More Light on the grand scope of things is nothing special, and that's okay.

Reviews are indeed subjective, you're right. But in terms of hip-hop, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is by and large a classic at this point, and that's what I was trying to get across. I'm sure many people could care less and think the Beatles are trash as a band, let alone their albums. That does not discredit the legacy of their albums, and that's what my point is. You can dislike MBDTF but it doesn't discredit it as a body of work, nor does my own criticisms discredits OML. However, and this is where part of my argument falls apart, but hear me out: An A should imply near perfection of an album. When I think of How to Pimp a Butterfly, there's no denying the artistry of that album. It's an A in my mind. When you compare an album like that to OML (and I know I'm starting to get into territory of comparing music of different genres, but hear me out), it's not an A. If Kendrick had a verse like Mike had on Good Goodbye, hell, if he had that same exact song and the same exact bars, it would bring To Pimp a Butterfly down and would be a huge weakness of that album. There's nothing unique about the verse, it literally could've been rapped by a different rapper, no name or famous, and you would have never known it was Mike Shinoda that penned it. It's a weak, cringeworthy verse and the song itself is a sore point on the album. It's not a great hip-hop track. As for the discussion of the album, there is no way you can tell me the album itself is an A when there are pop albums that do what Linkin Park tried to do better.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding on my end that I was implying altwire was an echochamber, was definitely implying that LPA was, and that in itself is a hurdle for my argument.

I mean, didn't you give me what you wanted? A discussion? If you want to discredit my comment as a shitpost, that can be your opinion, but you would be wrong. The post had a focus on why Derek was unfit to give a proper review, but responses to parts of my post would prove this was also set out why this album isn't a critical acclaim darling. Your entire responses gave me another thought as well: There are people on this website that have a major love for Meteora, but are often met with opinions that the album was weak. It's literally in any thread that has any sort of praise for parts of Meteora. You yourself will go out of your way to discredit the album. Now, I would mostly agree to yours and Derek's explanations as to why the album was weak. I'm saying this album has many of the same weaknesses Meteora had. Apply what Hybrid Theory did for Meteora and what current pop trends did for One More Light. One More Light isn't a weak album because it's pop. It's a weak album because it's nothing more but retrends and overall is a very basic album, much like Meteora was. I don't see how you can rationalize your critiques of Meteora when it sets out to do the same thing Meteora did.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Hard to put my opinion into words on what Mike was saying. There's not a bigger band I know of who has the balls to do what LP has done, so I respect them for that.

Seems to me the band has been trying to explore new directions again (since Living Things) instead of trying to finding their own "sound". I mean, they obviously had their sound with HT/Meteroa but they've decided to not use it. Living Things was the closest album they did that sort of merges their old and new sounds, but then they left it and made Hunting Party.

My question is, do you guys think the band will ever settle down with a certain musical sound/identify, or if they are always gonna be changing from now on? The guys are in their 40's now so I'm expecting 2 to 3 more full album cycles before they gradually slow down.

one-77

one-77 Member

"There's not a bigger band I know of who has the balls to do what LP has done, so I respect them for that."

You respect the fact that they disrespect their fans. They don't need balls for that. Lack of balls is what you need to do it.

Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

I don't understand how much shit LP gets for their song structures when plenty of critically acclaimed artists and bands use the typical pop song structure on a majority of their songs as well. Like look at Muse or Arctic Monkeys as examples. Plenty of Verse/Chorus/V/C/Bridge/C.

Also, other than Heavy and Sharp Edges, I don't think any of the songs are actually generic or "cookie cutter". You may not like them, which is fair, but just because LP made pop music you don't like doesn't automatically make OML generic. Now, I'm not blindly defending everything on the album either. Heavy, Sharp Edges and Good Goodbye aren't very good songs. But the rest of the album is really good pop music. Every song tonnes interesting layers and textures, the lyrics are really good for the most part and you can tell they really focused on writing solid melodies. And, this isn't necessarily a really "safe" album either. Yes, its Pop but look at how a majority of the fanbase reacted to it. Do you really think Linkin Park didn't anticipate this response based on how split their fans have been over everything after Meteora? They put it out anyway which takes balls. Yeah, its a pop record but it also isolates a tonne of its fanbase. That's definitely risky but this is the album they wanted to make and they made it. I respect them for that. It's not necessarily groundbreaking in music as a whole, but it is new and experimental for the band to be writing this type of music.

And why is Derek not allowed to review One More Light? He has an opinion and he's allowed to express like everyone else. It's his website after all, I think he should decide what goes on it. Is a sports reporter not allowed to cover his hometown team either?

Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

LOL. Yes, making the record they feel like making instead of the record people want them to make is disrespectful to their fans.

Dear god do I ever hope people like you never become musicians.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

As far as Jayhov's point about Derek, he's technically right. Being the owner/founder/mod of a Linkin Park fansite, while also being a professional music critic who also reviews Linkin Park music, isn't exactly a recipe for journalistic ethics.

If we were talking about a person who started a Marlboro fansite, who then went on to write for a newspaper about Marlboro cigarettes while receiving advanced review copies of the newest Marlboro products, while still being the head admin of Marlboro Association, most people would see the ethical issue right away. It would be in the newspaper's best interest if that reporter recused themselves from any Marlboro reviews.

But, of course, we aren't talking about cigarettes or politics. We're talking about Linkin Park. :lol: so it's not a big deal. Dereks a good guy.

Shadow likes this.
    HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

What a long winded (and borderline pretentious) way of saying "a dedicated Linkin Park fan shouldn't professionally review Linkin Park albums."

Agent, Abel, Louis and 4 others like this.
    Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Yeah let's just get people that hate the band to review their music instead, I'm sure that won't be biased at all.

Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

Isn't it the other way around? Like, completely disregard the fanbase to do whatever you want knowing that the backlash could be massive and potentially hurts your career comparing to, do whatever your fanbase wants with potentially much lesser negativity from both the critics and the community.
    Which one do you think takes more balls to do?

@Jayhov
    Regarding the reviews, did you get your hope up when you read Derek's and find out that you don't have the same opinion as him and now feel betrayed? Because, there are a lot of other reviews that may or may not fit your opinions so why would Derek's specifically be an issue? I don't get it.

Halfway Dwight likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Since I'm bound to like whatever, they can just make albums for me! :lol:
    Not for the first time, LP made the album they wanted to make. If the fanbase feels offended by that, those people just shouldn't be fans. At that point, there's no way to please them even if the band were to try ... which, if they did, would involve giving up their artistic integrity to attempt to re-create a 17-year-old album, instead of making the music that they actually want to make.

Abel, Vic, Sasuke and 3 others like this.
    Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

This is all so silly. Trying to dissect what goes on in people's heads? Why? You either enjoy it or you don't.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

There's nowhere I said that.
    If that's what you want to take from it, sure. edit: I don't know, this comment actually bothers me more than it should. I don't think my opinion matters more than anyone else's. My post didn't fall with your opinion, whatever, sure. Say that. Don't say I was pretentious. It makes you no better than the people that make the posts that say Linkin Park betrayed theirs fans or whatever other entitled bullshit that's spewed.

@Henry nah it was nothing like that. After heavy I had low expectations but I'm glad the songs released prior to the album coming out were better, albeit made me wanting more. I've just been watching shows like Making a Murderer lately so stuff like ethics have been a lot on my mind lately. I know I came off as aggressive in that post, but I don't think Derek is a bad guy at all. If anything, I believe he's really well intentioned and has been positive force for Linkin Park fans to come together. I really just don't think it was appropriate for him to do an official review for altwire. I don't want a circle jerk about how the album is bad or anything like that.