Linkin Park Score Their Sixth No.1 Album On Billboard 200 Chart With 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 29, 2017.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Congratulations to Linkin Park for scoring their sixth No.1 album with One More Light on the Billboard 200 this week! Kendrick Lamar's album 'DAMN' is No.2 followed by Harry Styles' self titled album at No.3.

One More Light was officially released on May 19 and Billboard reports that the album racked up "111,000 equivalent album units in the week ending May 25, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 100,000 were in traditional album sales." Hits Daily Double however reports the sales plus streaming figure at 117,217.

Linkin Park's last studio album to debut at No.1 on Billboard 200 was LIVING THINGS, back in 2012, with first week sales of 223,000. The Hunting Party debuted at No.3 in 2014 with first week sales of 110,000. According to Billboard's reported figures, One More Light has sold around 1000 more copies than The Hunting Party did on its debut week.

If you purchased tickets to Linkin Park's North American Tour, then you would have been emailed a free copy of the album to redeem - which counted towards the album sales once redeemed.

One More Light is now Linkin Park's tenth top 10 album as the band's seven studio albums plus two remix albums and their collaborative mash-up album with Jay-Z, Collision Course, all earned spots in the top 10.

Billboard also reports that "Linkin Park joins a small group of rock bands that have done the same. Just nine rock bands in total have scored at least six No. 1 albums: The Beatles (with 19), The Rolling Stones (nine), Led Zeppelin and U2 (both with seven), and Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band, Eagles, Linkin Park and Metallica (all with six each)."

LPA members had been making One More Light's sales predictions during this past month and it looks like many people were not expecting the album to sell as much as it did in its first week. So once again, congrats to the guys! Looks like their hard work and intense promotion paid off!

Discuss One More Light in our forums!

Source: Billboard and Hits Daily Double

lovablepanda, Andreina and Abel like this.
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Ugh... I wanted Kendrick to get number one. :kappa:

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:partyminus:

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

So they need 14 more number one albums to beat The Beatles. Time to get back in the studio, Mike. :halfkappa:

Paradigm

Paradigm Member

Kendrick is so overrated it hurts.

Congrats to the guys. Mission complete.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Congratulations LP! I'm so happy that you guys did it! :thumbsup:

Narc85

Narc85 Well-Known Member

Wow, fantastic news! I wonder how long it will be before someone tries to compare first week album sales to LIVING THINGS (or any of the band's previous albums). What those people need to realise is that the landscape for albums has completely changed. With the popularity of streaming services and consumption of music trending towards single songs rather than complete albums, this is a bloody fantastic achievement.

Cely_lp, Blake, Abel and 3 others like this.
    Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

LOL WHAT

Rocky, Blake and Blackee Dammet like this.
    HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Congrats to the guys. I like Kendrick's album more but I'm glad that LP edged over him for that top spot this week.

Rocky and Blake like this.
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Congrats LP! You deserve it :D

crazygolfer

It seems like barely anyone understands this nowadays. 111K in 2017 is great, especially for a near 20 year old rock band.

Meteorain and Cely_lp like this.
    MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Yup LP sold out bunch of hypocrite sell outs!!! I hope Chester sees this, cause I will gladly meet him outside when they come to NY at Citi field.

Just because the album is No. 1 on the billboard doesn't change the fact that I think the album is hot garbage except One More Light. The album belongs in the bargin bin with all the other overrated radio pop garbage. If I have to hear heavy on the radio one more time I'm gonna drive my car off a bridge.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Anthonychrisstar

Anthonychrisstar Member

@MattLP you so salty go in an ocean and think about the salt you can give back to the beach which u clearly stole you sound like a kid who never gets what he wants go listen to invisible .... To the more important news well done lp well deserved after all the backlash.

@LP2K12 likes this.
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I feel like Kendrick is so universally praised, he can't really be anything BUT overrated.

He's still fantastic anyway though.

Please do.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

lol Linkin Park is a radio pop band since day one, In the End is one of the most overplayed radio songs of the 2000s.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    @LP2K12 and Serenity like this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Good for them. Got what they wanted.

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

You know what ?
    After hearing this news I don't care if the album drops hard in the second week because it doesn't matter , all that matters is that LP finally had 6 #1 albums .
    Report that ultimate guitar, I bet you won't unless you had a terrible headline like "One more light becomes the second lowest selling album in LP's discography" or something like this .
    It seems that I'm suggesting ideas for UG at this point because that's how predictable and unprofessional they are lol.

crazygolfer

I'm still waiting on Blabbermouth and Ultimate Guitar to post this. They were, however, extremely fast to post a headline about OML projecting to not get #1 and be their lowest selling album, though, of course.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Yeah that really was bizarre the glee they took with it... "bombing" at number two.

Like even their best/worst case scenario still made no sense, and that's still the route they tried to go.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

In the end doesnt even play of the radio stations anymore. Well atleast where im from, i dont hear it being played