Linkin Park Score Their Sixth No.1 Album On Billboard 200 Chart With 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 29, 2017.

1. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I was going to stay out of this but I saw the post saying bubblegum pop today would be close to OML.

The modern equivalent of bubblegum pop would be nowhere close to One More Light. Like not even anywhere close. Not remotely. Justin Bieber in 2011 was pretty close to the modern equivalent of bubblegum pop lyrically, but in terms of composition I don't have many good examples because no one has really done anything analogous to it.

@Blackee Dammet I encourage you to dig into the Jackson 5 or the Monkees, two huge bubblegum pop groups, and then decide if you actually think that if they were interpreted modernly it would sound like LP's new album. I think your idea of "bubblegum pop" is not at all what it really is, because it has a lot to do with composition and lyrical themes.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I've never seen someone so mad about an artist they like making an album they hate being successful and then the hate towards that being turned up to 11.

The longer this goes on the more you're just chasing your tail in circles.

3. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

Discussing this album is such a lost cause.

@LP2K12, Louis and brady like this.
  4. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Did you not see where I just typed "based on the language used before and after that I was working under the assumption the guy was using every synonym for "generic" as he could", or...

Again, a number of synonyms were used, and looking back it looks like you guys are literally just nitpicking with the assumption that the guy didn't really that was a "proper" genre description (is he even still posting? $5 says the guy had no idea he was using a word that meant anything other than "generic"). Even without the numerous clarifications, it should have been made clear what I meant. it's literally what dominated the conversation beforehand.

Nailed it!

5. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

We want discussion? Here's a theory I've developed;

this is "routine pop" and that's fine. I don't think most of you guys are fine with it though. I don't think most of you like or respect pop music as a genre, and don't want to be seen as liking something that could be seen as "routine". Criticism is being treated as over the top, any real discussion is being dismissed as "nagging" regardless of how much you have to pad it out with highpoints (something that, as a form full of adults, shouldn't be considered mandatory...).

A lot of this board, historically, was very dismissive as pop as a genre and of artists who made the music. I'll spend a bit of time trying to find years old comments from here to prove the claim, though rest assured I remember being condescended to the same way for defending "radio pop" for years, making this sudden "I'm mad at the album" gimmick gold. And I think now, consciously or otherwise, people are put in a weird position of really liking an album that consists of a style of music they had dismissed for years. I think some have even convinced themselves that's not at all what the band did, and the detractors are fueled by some kind of psychotic zeal to prove that's what they did because... reasons, I guess.

Like seriously, all I asked was "Well what's so different about this as opposed to some of the other music that's popular now?", and that's devolved into "Whoa fella, jeez I've never seen declare a musical jihad for absolutely no reason before". What's the average age of poster on here? It's gotta be pushing 30, right? There's literally no reason to be acting like 2003 era LPMB posters. I should be awarded the entitlement to compare the album in a less than flattering light to other popular music without to have to stress "I'm totally not upset you guys but consider the following..." repeatedly.

@LP2K12 and Jayhov like this.
  6. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

@Blackee Dammet
    I think the notion that most of us on this site are anti-pop is utter bullshit. I know many users on this site who like some form(s) of pop, and like some of the music that does make it to the Top 40. Without even thinking too hard, I know many of us are bog fans of artists like Coldplay and The Weekend, and even Imagine Dragons. And this is exactly why many of us on here do enjoy OML or at least some aspects/songs from the album. Many users on here do enjoy pop music, one way or another.

Iopia and Halfway Dwight like this.
  7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

"There's no peace. Only war. Victory decides who's wrong or right"
    :kappa:

Sasuke, Halfway Dwight and Captain-EO like this.
  9. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

I ain't mad at ya. You've been articulating your points well. I've been mostly lurking these threads for a bit now and I've never seen a reasonable outcome to all this discussion. Everyone is pretty firm on their opinions and while I agree with a lot of what you've been saying, there's really no point in attempting to express that here which I'm sure you're starting to realize. At best, you'll get users willing to agree to disagree and at worst you'll get passive aggressive shitposting. Let's be real, this is an LP fan site. Nobody signed up to read their favorite band be criticized.

10. Captain-EO

To be honest I might have misread it. But honestly, I don't care that much.

brady likes this.
  11. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I quite frankly disagree with you. In the scope of modern hip-hop, what this guy does stands fairly unparalleled. I'd be curious to hear why you think he's overrated, because you might be the only person I know who thinks that - but of course, you are entitled to your opinion! :)

I get your point, but let's avoid the misogynistic language, please. :)

You are sorely mistaken. This forum proudly boasts a diversity of views across Linkin Parks' discography. I'm afraid you're not acquainted enough with this forum to make the call. Spend some time in the Shoutbox, and you will see it quite differently. And besides, let's say everyone loves the band - why do you care? You came to a fan forum and now criticize fans for liking the band? That seems a bit silly, doesn't it?

Either way, if you're done here - that's fine. I prefer having members on these forums who can respect one another's views.

I see what you're saying, and can agree. I think everyone's jumping on the wrong thing here in terms of the terminology. What you're saying is that the music doesn't really stand out in the larger sea of pop music, regardless of sub-genre. Fantano's review (which I wasn't big on) made a fair point that the album sonically sounds a lot like what we've heard over the last two years, to the point where it's not really a refreshing album. It seems late to the game when it comes to its sound, and I think he's right on that. Then again, I feel the band has struggled to innovate in sound since A Thousand Suns, so I've had to adjust my expectations in terms of really hearing something new and fresh from them.

I don't think anyone here is really wishing for them to flop - there is simply some genuine surprise that One More Light had such a successful first week. And I think people look at the other albums on the charts and probably wouldn't list One More Light as a better album than some of its current sales competitors, so maybe some feel it is undeserved. Nonetheless, I don't think anyone actually wants them to flop.

Again, I see and agree with what you're saying here, and would like to reiterate to everyone to please chill out. All Blackee is saying, really, is how One More Light compares to much of the pop music out there. This album, I believe, sounds refreshing to us as listeners because it's different from what Linkin Park has done. But is the band offering anything new to the music landscape, truly? Not really. The Hunting Party was probably more unique in that respect than One More Light, but this album feels far more sincere than THP, which to me came across as an uninspired, genre-focused album that has no staying power.

But yeah, let's all just cool it. I feel like this is escalating when it really doesn't have to be.

Avo and Jayhov like this.
  12. Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

Can you please stop being so disrespectful of his opinions too and dismissing others who share the a similar opinion as just garbage opinions? Thanks

13. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Jesus Christ

Also think kendrick is overrated

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, this is exactly what I was communicating in my post, if anyone didn't get it. :)

The only thing today's various strands of top-tier pop and bubblegum pop have in common is that they've both defined the zeitgeist of their eras. That's it.

EDIT: to add to this, bubblegum pop didn't evolve into what you hear at the top of the chart now, if anyone was suggesting that. Other pop artists who tackled more serious subjects at the time are the ones who paved the way.

Iopia, brady and Modern Guitar God like this.
  15. Captain-EO

But you're also a pleb :kappa:

16. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

This thread is cancer.

Sonic and brady like this.
  17. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Might need to lock this thread

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  18. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Nahhhh

19. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Honestly, this seems to be a common trend (on both sides), arguing against points people aren't actually even making. Like, one side arguing that OML isn't bubblegum pop (or even the modern equivalent of bubblegum pop) seems to have been interpreted by the other side as "OML isn't pop and sounds nothing like the top 40", even though that's not something I've actually seen anyone come remotely close to saying. Honestly it seems like people would rather put words in other people's mouths, claim that they don't know what they're talking about, and/or tell people they're just being fanboys/they're not being open to real discussion/they're only defending this album because it's LP, rather than actually debate the points being brought up. (And this applies to both sides).

Dude stop. You've been at him for long enough. :mellow:

brady, minuteforce and Halfway Dwight like this.
  20. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

It's not on any of us to discern what the dude actually means through a multitude of posts. It might be nitpicky but, correct me if I'm wrong, he's been one of the more intense haters, right? If so, I see why the benefit of the doubt wasn't given right off the bat. It seems the issue (like lopia just mentioned) here is that you, going on the basis of "oh he just means generic", took people saying "no, OML is not cheesy bubblegum pop" as people saying "no, OML is not generic 2017 Top 40 pop." And since no one is saying that, this should be put to bed.

Halfway Dwight and brady like this.