Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Linkin Park were the gateway that opened me up to whole new worlds of music. I will always hold them, and Chester especially, close to my heart. It'll be a long time before the world sees a talent like him again.

I truly hope that he is at peace now and free from the demons that always plagued him. Rest in paradise, Chester Charles Bennington.

2. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

I'm really numb atm. its just so surreal. Cannot really get a hold of it yet.
    Everything falls apart :(

3. CannaKippers

CannaKippers Member

Great reply.

Of course, yeah, a portion of the response to the album couldn't possibly be the only factor to an outcome like this. But they all seemed so confident about the material that I bet it knocked all of them a little bit. It's still a brilliant part of their discography. Chester's tribute performance of 'One More Light' on Jimmy Kimmel breaks me every time.

You're right, there is no solution. It's impossible to know if I would do any differently, eventually, if I were to suffer depression.

4. ToTheCitadel

ToTheCitadel Wisdom, Justice & Love

Just reading the headlines over and over, it just doesn't seem real. I keep going back and hoping that it's all fake, that this is just a dream.

I'm having a really hard time accepting this.

5. LP22

LP22 New Member

Hi all. Extremely saddened by the news today! I'm working on an article about Chester and am looking for anyone that knew him or crossed paths with him recently. Does anyone have any ideas of people I could connect with? Want to get some nice memories about him, etc.

6. Orange Box Nerd

Orange Box Nerd Drop the Keys to the Kingdom

I remember my babysitter popping in hybrid theory back in 2000 and me hearing Crawling and in the end for the first time. Those two songs alone changed the way i listened to music. I was only 4 at the time, and Linkin Park has stayed a part of me ever since Im 21 now and I still listen to them. I am truly devastated by the fact he's gone and im still having a hard time accepting it. I didnt particularly like OML because of its sound, but listening to the lyrics he sings is eerie and i just cant listen to any of the songs anymore because it hurts me to do so.

Rest in peace Chester, you will be missed.

7. UnknownGuy

UnknownGuy Member

I am so heartbroken and angry. Been crying so much since i heard the news. I dont recall the last time that i cried so hard and much, cause its feels like i lost one of my best friends although i never personally knew him. It fckn hurts..

Its impossible for me right now to listen to his voice. I will probably break down everytime i hear a Linkin Park song in public. Iam a grown up man but i will still cry. Because the world just lost one of the greatest. Damn..

I hope his family, friends and bandmates are getting through this awful time. My deepest condolences to them. And to you Linkin Park fans.

Rest in Peace Chester
    I love you

HybridShadow likes this.
  8. aKaRiot

aKaRiot LP Fanboy

Legitimately a nightmare come true.

9. Sa6o_dfg

Sa6o_dfg Member

His music had such great impact on me as a person. I can't describe how I feed right now. I couldn't believe when I first heard about what happed...
    You will always be in our hearts we love you!
    Rest in Peace Chester

10. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I was in the middle of work when I heard this. Five hours later I still can't believe it. It's so unbelievable. Like so many others of us, I actually would not be where I am now if not for Chester. I'd never have the musical passion that drove me to begin pursuing a career in music publishing, where I'm hoping to have a career in the future.

I wish he could have seen how much he meant to so many people.

11. LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

Celebrity deaths never get to me but this one has. Just overall sad. Nothing more I can say.

HybridShadow, Filthy and Captain-EO like this.
  12. Petar

Petar Well-Known Member

He disappointed me. I have been recently thinking what fighter he is. 'Til now. Thank God I haven't had hard times in my life. Now I have.

But, in the end, I won't be mad at him. He's my sun. :'(
    Second tear.

13. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

14. DeepestBlue

DeepestBlue New Member

I was first introduced to LP through a friend back in 2000 when Hybrid Theory came out. I was hooked - this was something different and absolutely awesome.That CD never left my car's CD for a long time - Reanimation, Meteora and the others were added into rotation when they came out. Reanimation in particular gets a lot of play - 1Stp Klosr with Jonathan Davis is one of my all time favourite songs. I have always been a bigger fan of the first few albums than the later stuff but it was all damn good stuff. From good times to bad, there's been an LP song that's fit the mood and helped in some way. I've had some great times while listening to LP songs, and gone through some horrible times where LP songs have been played at loud volumes to help me deal. As mainap said:

For Chester to go so young is devastating. But anyone who's suffered with mental health issues knows there are times when you feel so low that getting out feels like the only option. It's just so sad that he reached that point. The music scene has lost serious talent today, and we've lost a favourite artist. I can't believe there won't be any more albums with him, no more live performances - I never got to see them live.

RIP, Chester, you will be missed.

And for those of you who are really hurting from this - please, talk to someone. Post here, join the Twitch stream, find some way of communicating. You don't have to deal with it alone - there are others hurting, and talking really can help.

For people in the UK, Scuzz are playing back to back LP videos right through the night - Sky channel 367.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  15. oh5srt4

oh5srt4 Member

Never post here but lurk almost daily for news. I was fortunate enough to see them on the Meteora world tour in Philly as well as the Minutes to Midnight world tour at madison square garden. Had tickets to see The Hunting Party tour in Hershey, PA but thats when chester broke his ankle days before the show and they cancelled.

Things like this usually shock me but don't stick, however this has been a constant rain cloud over my head all day long. I've been with them from the beginning when the hit it big with Hybrid Theory. I was in 10th grade at the time, now almost 33. I remember watching the one step closer video thinking "who the fuck are these clowns". Little did I know that they would drastically change my taste in music for the rest of my life as well as help me through some rough times. They were always my go to and even when I didn't care for the direction they went on a few albums, I always listened to it for what it was. Great music that wasn't quite my taste but I was a fan of them and it was likeable enough for me to enjoy.

I feel like part of childhood has died and I'm not sure how you replace that feeling. There will never be another Chester Bennington. I believe he was the Kurt Cobain of my generation (no disrespect to Kurt, I love Nirvana). Revolutionary, with a voice that no one else could ever replicate. But now the band that defined my musical taste has been taken from me and we all have to accept the fact that there will never be another true Linkin Park album. Maybe they replace him and move forward, but I highly doubt that happens. Even if it does, it will never be the same. We're left with a bunch of great albums to enjoy for the rest of our time on this earth, I just wish it didn't have to end.

Thoughts with his family, his friends, the band, and all of you. You never know when your time is up, don't take a second for granted.

Sa6o_dfg and AndreyKamensky like this.
  16. AnthonyMartin

AnthonyMartin Member

Hybrid Theory for me is an album that will never be beaten, an album which from cover to cover was perfection, an album which made me who I am now.

Since Hybrid Theory I have loved each and every album, even if it did take some time to come to that realisation.

I have been lucky enough to see them three times now and each time they just got better and better, both as musicians and artistically.

Anyone who knows me, will know my love (or obsession) with Linkin Park along with Chester Bennington.

Today I went to work in my favourite Linkin Park t-shirt, not knowing what would soon unfold later in the day.

My emotions right now are just so numb, I can't quite put it into words how I feel. A mere 16 days ago, right now, I was seeing them live, jumping, moshing, singing, screaming and just having the best night of my life. Today I have to to say my goodbyes.

Chester Bennington will always have a special place in my heart, the music that him and Linkin Park produced are what helped me through breakups, a miscarriage, uni and everything inbetween.

Chester Bennington - I fucking love you and I am going to miss you so fucking much. RIP

HybridShadow likes this.
  17. Zain

Zain Well-Known Member

I've idolised and looked up to him for more than a decade. I was seven years old when my brother had bought me my first Linkin Park merch...No death has ever got to me as hard as this one...I had been watching his interviews last night and listening to his music, still trying to learn his songs from his first band, Grey Daze on guitar all day before even finding out...A few weeks ago I couldn't even comprehend I was finally about to see the band I had loved for more than a decade live until I saw Chester come out on stage. He is for me, the greatest voice of our generation. His voice was joy and pain, anger and forgiveness, love and heartache all wrapped into one. The news on his death, and more importantly the way he died still doesn't feel real to me. As Jerry Cantrell had said for Chris Cornell, the truth is "It's never going to make sense. It's never going to feel right. And it's always going to hurt". There's not much we can do besides being left angry and saddened by his death as it showed that he had an impact on our lives. One thing we can do is make sure you are there to listen and help for the problems of the ones you care for. If anyone reading this or anyone you know is suffering from depression, please don't suffer in silence and talk to someone.

18. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I can only wish his family, and every single member of the band a hell lot of strenght and braveness to face this.

It's incedible how much more this means to me than I would have though.

And I can't help but feel sad for Chester. He was such a good guy. I hope he managed to get some true moments of happiness in life, despite all the inner fights and struggles.

Rest in Peace. You will be missed.

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

This man was my idol. It's a short list. My mother, my father, one of my teachers, and Chester. I am heartbroken and in disbelief.

Rest in peace, friend. I will see you in the next life.

20. shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

I have been following this band for 12 years, since I was 12 years old. Their music has provided me with so much joy and comfort in hard times. Chester's phenomenal performance on the song "One More Light" came out at the perfect moment. 5 days after the album came out, I found out that my grandpa had only a few months to live, and unfortunately, he passed away on July 8. I balled like a baby to the song. I want to thank Chester for all the good times and comfort during hard times. I saw Linkin Park only once. I lived in Mississippi, so all their shows were always hours away. My friends and I drove 10 hours to Tampa, FL to see them during The Hunting Party tour cycle and the show was everything I had ever hoped it would be. I wish the family, band, and all of the fans my best.

Sasuke likes this.