Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

LP got so much shit for being too angsty and angry. But the guy was basically suffering for real all along, to a lesser or bigger extent.

This news is sickening.

Filthy likes this.
  2. CannaKippers

CannaKippers Member

Absolutely. One thing I've always grumbled about with LP is that I've felt they've never been specific enough about what they're saying. I've always thought they could have been more direct and things felt too subliminal. Listening to them on shuffle now and it all makes sense and they are actually telling us quite a lot. I was just being silly the whole time.

BTorio likes this.
  3. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

God, I have the worst headache from crying right now. This is so hard.

leftshoe18 likes this.
  4. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I am sad and heartbroken. I cant believe this and i dont want to believe this. Im crying all day. LP and Chester has such an impact on my life since a very young age, im in my late 20s now ive been listenng to LP since a very young age. All their music more so Hybrid theory and Meteora hit me so hard and spoke to me in ways that nobody on this fucked up earth can. Its amazing how a bunch of guys making music can relate to your life. Im sick to my stomach. Their music spoke to an entire generation. And LP will live on forever and ever. I hope you find peace Chester, I love you, we all love you, and thank you for your music

5. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Just found out about this. I'm in a state shock that I'm not sure I'll ever get out of.

Linkin Park has been my favorite band since I was a kid. I remember being introduced to them through my cousin and I never stopped listening. Chester's vocals always stuck out to me as terrific, one of the main reasons why I loved the band so much.

To find out about...this, it's just. I don't know what to say. This hits me too much. I'm listening to One More Light now and it's hitting me how all the more powerful it really is...

Chester, wherever you are, I hope you've found peace. My condolences go to the other band members and Chester's family. Oh my god...

6. Filthy

Filthy instagram & twitter: @evanfass

I know this might go without saying but, thank you, Derek. You have given us this great platform that we are sharing all of our fond memories with Linkin Park. I hope everyone else that reads this is getting along right now. Not one to get upset about celebrity deaths but I am extremely shaken up right now. The music will help all of us through these tough times.♥️

7. lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

I need to grieve...
    I got the news from the Google news feed on my phone while I was at work. I just saw the name Linkin Park and thought it was a promo for their new album, or a concert announcement. A couple of minutes later I decided to look at the article and realized it was of Chester's passing, and Mike had confirmed on Twitter. I've never felt emotional about a celebrity death, so this was a first for me. I felt like crying right there in the break room. I've been battling with another episode of my chronic depression for the past 2 weeks. In many of these, Linkin Park has helped me cope...give me a way to face the pain and keep moving forward. The past two weeks I've been listening to Nobody Can Save Me over and over, it felt like Chester came out of my car speakers and sat next to me in the car, and told me he understands what I'm feeling. I've listened to this man sing almost everyday for at least the past 10 years...and now he's gone. It took all the strength I could muster to work for the next 6 hours, my thoughts constantly going to what my life would look like if my depression continues to eat at me. I could manage until I started the car for the drive home, and I heard his voice for the first time since hearing the news...I cried the entire time I listened to One More Light.

It's been so hard to go to work and smile and interact with people, I feel like it would be inappropriate to wear my depression at my new job that I started just a month ago. I can't imagine how Chester kept smiling and saying jokes and being silly on camera for the entire world to see. Wherever he is now, I hope Chester has found peace. Rest in peace man, and thank you for sharing your brightness with the world.

8. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Just like everyone else, I'm just numb and in disbelief over this news. It's a tragedy we'll never get to see him perform live again, sing new albums or watch him in funny interviews anymore. He was more than just a great singer of our times, a true inspiration of turning-over-a-new-leaf, since he went through a lot in his life as well.

RIP Chester Bennington, you'll be missed.

9. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

The way I see it there are three possibilities right now:

A) The five of them continue as Linkin Park with a radically different tone (i.e. Mike singing/rapping lead on every song). This seems unlikely to me since the band would struggle performing much of their back catalogue, but it's possible.

B) The band continues on with a new lead vocalist. This way the band continues on "as usual", playing their usual range of music at shows and continuing with albums every 2-3 years. They may or may not use a different band name, but 4-5 of the members would remain with Mike and Brad forming the creative backbone as they currently do, just with a new frontman and lyricist.

C) The band breaks up. Rob retires or joins a new band. Joe pursues his filmmaking career. Dave enters the world of professional golf. Brad releases a solo album 5-6 years down the line. Mike releases albums consistently every 2-3 years under the Fort Minor moniker, his live sets consisting of a mix between Linkin Park tracks and his own music.

Honestly, I'm not sure which of these is most likely. It's too soon to say. I think it's fair to say that Mike will continue to make music, whether it's Fort Minor, Linkin Park, or something else entirely. The question hinges on the other members. Do the five of them want to continue on together? No one can answer that. Every band deals with this horrible situation differently. From anecdotal experience of bands I follow, most have carried on (although it's very different when it's a singer), but no one can know until the band reaches a decision.

10. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Fuck. I thought if I sleep and get up, il stop crying and that this will all sink in better. The moment I opened my eyes, I just started crying again.

It's just not fair. He deserved so much more for all that he did for everyone.

11. Cely_lp

Cely_lp Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that Mike will continue with music but i don't want a new singer or LP to continue without Chester. I prefer the band changing the name and do something new.

12. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

He's in a better place rather than this shit hole. Remember that. Also, as for LP's future, I'm sure they have enough material to put out another album with Chester on it. Or take some vocal tracks he's done and finish songs without him.

13. JSigcha10

JSigcha10 Well-Known Member

While I would like to be optimistic and see A) and/or B) happen, it'll never be the same for me. I don't see anyone who can replicate the kind of energy and passion Chester brought to the group and the band would just never seem right performing any of their hits without Chester there. C) while the most heartbreaking, seems like the most realistic to me. I always hoped C would be their eventuality, but years from now.

It's sad. I was listening to OML the other day in the shower (TMI I know, sorry) and I was already thinking ahead to LP8. I had this idea that it would come out in 2020, that being their 20th anniversary.

14. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I can respect that, although for me if the five of them do want to carry on with a new singer I guess I don't really care whether they call it Linkin Park or not. Maybe you're right though, it might be better to just pull out the thorns now and shelve that name. As much as it hurts to say goodbye... I'm actually getting a little teary-eyed typing this.

15. P4P3RKuT

P4P3RKuT Member

God damn. It's the first time I've cried over someone I've never met. I remember on a few occasions thinking 'It'll be a sad day if anything ever happens to either one of them' I wasn't ready for this, but I don't think anyone was. Incredible, talented man that helped through out my teenage years and some shitty parts of my life. I'm so privileged to of been able to see one of my idols live.

Just 3 weeks ago I saw them live for the very first time and Chester was so energetic and passionate, he even did a speech for the Manchester victims. Just goes to show that on the outside we may seem fine, but the inside is another story.

I just can't believe one of my idols and biggest influences is gone. The reason I started singing and joined a band...

Thank you Chester for everything.

16. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I don't think they need/have to disband, but they'd never replace Chester. Either they continue with Mike or that's it. Mike has been making music his whole life, so at the least, I think we may hear more from him. Whether that's under LP, FM, or something else, I'm not sure.

I don't know where they'll go from here, but I'll support whatever decision they make.

17. JSigcha10

JSigcha10 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can see Mike taking a hiatus to collect himself, then make music under FM or whatever other ideas he may have. But I don't see him making music with LP and a new vocalist that replaces Chester. Either way I support whatever the guys decide to do, as heartbreaking as it would be to see them disband.

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Wow...

..this is..
    I don't know guys...

Apparently all that deppression in their songs are real, after all... Heh..

Farewell... Bennington, sir..

AndreyKamensky likes this.
  19. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

I watch live videos and just think "no ... lol ... he's not gone. Not him. Never"
    Apparently it still hasn't sunk in yet.

20. Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

I just can't believe it! It's just so sad! I couldn't start to think about how everyone close to him feel. I hope the band do something in tribute for Chester. I will forever support the rest of the band in whatever they want to do next. If that's continuing the band or not and doing their own thing. I will support them because they deserve it especially now more than ever. It will never be the same without chester for sure but i will say this Thank you for the great memories Chester. Let your memory and music live on forever!

Filthy likes this.