Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Lordblood, I second this above post. Please seek help if you're depressed and contemplating suicide. It's never too late, and you're not alone.

2. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

"I'll be Sorry for Now, that i couldn't be around, there will be a day that you will understand"

Imagine if he is singing this song on the other side.

AndreyKamensky likes this.
  3. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

I truly can't believe this happened. I am devastated. I took Linkin Park for granted. I thought it will always be. I know we have those already released albums, but that's not the case. I thought it will remain as a existing reference, a statue of rock a living thing. Now my point of view is shattered. I am comfused. I am sad, angry and cannot imagine there won't be a possibility to hear him singing live, to enjoy a new music, that's depressing.

RIP.

4. Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

I wanna write something but I am just too sad to do so... this band means so much to me and one of the only few things that makes me really happy. RIP Chester, I will always rmb ur great heart, smile and voice

5. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I always pick up my guitar or blast their music when I feel like this, and today neither of those things can help.

Cely_lp likes this.
  6. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I was sitting in my living room having a conversation with my mom with my girlfriend next to me when my brother texts me "bro, Chester". For all of the musician's deaths that I felt deeply for, I have always gotten the news from a text from my brother after waking up in the morning. This is the first time I was with other people, and I completely shut down.
    This band was the foundation for my interest in music. I dabbled in random songs and bands at a young age because my brother listened to them, but i still remember hearing New Divide in the credits of Transformers 2. Standing there, thinking to myself "this band is kinda cool, I'll check them out". I remember living in a hotel with my family while we were in between homes and listening to meteora, and just agreeing with absolutely everything in the music, the lyrics, and the aggression and passion Chester sang with. At that time Breaking the Habit had (not exaggerating) several thousand listens on my iPod. And I still remember hating A Thousand Suns when it came out, but I kept going back to it because I wanted to hear Chester's delivery in Waiting for the End until I eventually loved the album.
    I have too many memories to talk about between watching LPTV back in the day, making references to lyrics to my close friends just to bother them with how much I was obsessed with the band....
    This new album is all too much now. Their music is way too real.
    Rest in peace Chester.

AndreyKamensky and Alexrednex like this.
  7. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

This morning on my drive into work I fully processed this tragedy. I put on my usual Spotify playlist and knew in the back of my mind at least one LP song would show up in the shuffle. That song happened to be Final Masquerade.

I shed a few tears as I sang along. After the song ended I just paused the music and drove in silence, thinking.

I have been critical of the band recently, but my love for the band never faltered. Looking back, it's been almost 17 years that I've been following these guys. I've been to 3 shows(Edit: had tickets to number 4 for Aug 25 in Dallas) and my ears are still ringing. They are the reason I picked up a guitar and their catalog was what I learned. Granted I am still incredibly mediocre at the guitar, but yesterday I sat in my empty house and blasted out my best version of One Step Closer. I thought it would help but it just left me sadder than I already was.

It is encouraging to see people from all walks of life talking about how special Chester was to them. Celebs and artists across the music industry as well. Justin Timberlake, Big Boi from Outkast, Katy Perry, Rihanna, they all were fans of this man and his craft.

Pretty much every Linkin Park song at this point will be heard a little differently, and there are a few songs I am just not ready to re-visit quite yet.

I sincerely hope Chester found peace on the other side. RIP.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  8. Cely_lp

Cely_lp Well-Known Member

I though I was in terms with this tragedy by now but ESPN's Sportcenter Brazil just open with a montage over the instrumental of Numb. I'm sobbing right now. I have been crying in small doses since I heard the news.

Meteora was my first album ever, of any band. I liked SIB and thought Faint was ok but it was Numb who "convinced" me to buy the cd. So I bought the album and put on and OMG what the hell was that.

DS (this is cool), SIB (I already knew it), then came LFY and I thought: "This is the coolest shit ever!!!". I replayed that song in exhaustion until I was able to sing along and then just then I let the album continue to HTF. As the record goes by I'm in love for the first time. I was 13, now I'm 27, sad and heartbroken feeling like I was left in the altar by who I tought would be with me forever. But I'm not angry, I'm glad that you were part of my life Chester and happy to witness such greatness.

"Don't be sad because it's over, be glad because it happen"
    Thank you Chester for been my voice when no one was listening. May God bless your soul!!

And thank you every one in here who make the experience of being part of such great community and to Derek and the rest of LPA to provide a great place for us to discuss music and Linkin Park. I don't know what will happen with the site but it was a pleasure!!! Take care everyone!!

Xpeerahmental and Jason like this.
  9. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I'm ok right now because my friends are normal and aren't affected by the news (they aren't fans at all) but I'm afraid of night and time I'm alone (I have to go home tomorrow). I'm also afraid of the funeral and when I start watching all those videos.

Maradenisa00 likes this.
  10. Maradenisa00

Maradenisa00 New Member

That's exactly how I feel..

11. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

This was beautiful. Thank you.

Bane and Xpeerahmental like this.
  12. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

Just came to say that I am still shocked. Its such a strange feeling. I will miss you chester. Me must be strong together !

13. Xpeerahmental

Xpeerahmental Well-Known Member

When an artist reaches a magnitude that the entire unit of Linkin Park has, it's difficult to see past their professional facade. I often see huge artists as immortal, despite some of their music that might drip pain and suffering. I think 'no, never in a million years, they always seem so proud and full of joy over their growing and ever changing mark, look at their unbridled passion for what they do artistically.' I guess I sometimes forget that these lyrics aren't just empathy, but very true projections of an artists heart and mind. LP's colossal stature, the reason everything seems so down to business over anthems for bruised souls, tricked the hell out of me here. This is such a sudden shock, yet if I had heard this music from anyone else I would of instinctively wanted to give them a bear hug. They always seem so in control, driven and floating on the waves of endless seas of fans screaming "god damn right, me fucking too!"

I'm extremely sad not just because he's gone, not just because I'll never get to see him perform again, not just because I'll never get to meet him. . I'm blown away because if I would of met him yesterday, it never would of occurred to me to look past the busy and professional composure of a fully realized music legend and just ask him about him. And not just the formal how are you, what's up. In my starry awe, I would have just assumed he was chugging on. That each song was a tale of a dark time passed, ringing out as a beckoning cheer from someone who beat it to those who need it,.. not something still blanketing him. This and that LP has been an intricate unit when it comes to music. I never attribute the feelings in a song to one person of the band. Watching behind the scenes videos, I came to see their process as a huge team effort where everyone poured into it.

No one expects something so tragic, I think. I'm just angry with myself for forgetting he was not immune to the feelings he channeled every day at the top of his god damn lungs. And it's worse when it's chanted every day that suicide has no face. It's true. It's our job to reach out, even to those who have ferociously led us through our darkest.

Much love, Chester, and the whole of Linkin Park, a force of nature that shaped my young adult life. My condolences to his family in this devastating time. And as for him, at the forefront of all I feel right now, I'm just glad he's no longer suffering.

Jason and Alexrednex like this.
  14. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm still in disbelief. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that he was in such a bad place that he took his own life and that he is no longer here with us. We miss you Chester.

Alexrednex likes this.
  15. YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Dropping by to say I love you all. Even if we never met. I'm more than thankful this band allowed me to be part of such a beautiful family, and now more than ever we'll remain united. Forever.

16. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

The support from all over the world is incredible to see. YouTube comments filled up with country name hash tags from all over the world. LP has touched so many lives on a global basis. OML was number 1 on the billboard, too. Didn't know that. Sometimes I think if fans were too hard on LP but every musician or band goes through criticism and the spot light. I just don't think the OML reaction triggered this. This whole thing is bizarre. Their music really does feel different now. I'm pissed off. HT is timeless and it will never die but now it feels even angrier to me. Their sad songs feel more sad. Etc. We will be showing our kids and grandkids LP's music and it's going to be sad as hell to tell them the leader singer killed himself. Surreal.

David Kiesch likes this.
  17. Artorious87

Artorious87 How do you like them apples?

I wake up to a new day and still can't believe it. Listening to his voice now and it does feel different knowing he is no longer with us. I really do hope he is at peace and am grateful to have all of you to lean on during this time. LP fans are the most loyal SOBs I've ever met and it is an honor to be amongst you all during this very difficult time. Hope everyone is doing okay. #LinkinPark #Forever

18. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Someone a few pages ago made a comment about how the album OML is almost haunting now...I completely feel that. There was so much hope and optimism in that album, and every one of the songs Chester sings feels almost morbid now. Here's a man who wanted to live, wanted to fight, and wanted to choose the light. He WANTED that. He said so. He wrote about it. Battle Symphony is all about wanting support and the will to fight. I always thought Halfway Right was beautiful because it was a genuine acknowledgement from Chester about his tormented past, from the narrative of a man who had conquered his demons. One More Light was a song about coming to terms with how devastating it is to lose a loved one, as Chester realized how awful it was to feel that pain.

Even the older songs...I know Chester acknowledged several times the irony about singing about his pain allowed him to achieve this success. I just don't think I'll ever be able to listen to these songs the same way again. Breaking the Habit especially got me last night when I listened to it.

Breno9712 likes this.
  19. thomas003

thomas003 Well-Known Member

Yesterday evening I got a message from a friend with the news, didn't believed it first; thought it was a hoax, then thought it was a nightmare. I was and I still am in shock. I cannot believe this shit got real. I'm a fan for about 15 years now, a diehard Linkin Park fan. Every day I listen to them, know all the lyrics of all songs, the only band I buy all the CD's from. I even had a meet and greet earlier this month, Chester was very friendly, he even gave me a hug spontaneously... I'm happy that my dream of meeting the band came true, right on time...
    I could not sleep last night, all the songs ware raging through my head. Got to work but couldn't shut down my toughts. It's like a good friend or familymember died, feeling weird about it..
    Listened to Hybrid Theory and Living Things today, all those lyrics makes so much more sense... (Points of Authority, Powerless, I'll be gone, Lies Greed Misery, Runaway, APFMH, Crawling, Pushing me away,... just all the songs)
    I'ts like he planned this? On the birthday of Chris Cornell, at the same time of the video-release of Talking To Myself... The video looks like a farewell to me now.
    Chester is gone, but he's legacy, their music, will always be with us. May he rest in peace. Condolences to his kids, wife, bandmembers, all you LPA-members and all the other fans. We share this grief together.

20. AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

I gotta say...
    This place (lpa) is beautiful. And it's amazing how we all can connect, relate and grief here together, even though we're worlds apart.

An hour ago I woke up after the weirdest sleep I've had in some time. I've met my ex in a dream (who's also a huge fan) and everything seemed so off there. like we knew what was happening but we didn't really talk. Or at least that's what I remember. Now I'm chatting with her on the phone and it seems she's taking it just as hard as anybody here.
    It's crazy though.... just as I laid in bed I stated thinking about the worst things... felt like the world took a few steps back with him missing now. And faces of close ones started to show and right away I statred thinking of how it must feel to lose a mom, best friend, brother, son.... And it was too much to digest. I felt like starting to get a panic attack so I just got up from bed and went to talk to my mom about it and it helped, even though she didn't know who he was.

guys, we're all in this together. If you someone to talk to, feel free. Don't deal with all of this alone. We're all one big family.
    Love you all!

brady, Captain-EO, Breno9712 and 2 others like this.