Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

Linkin Park opened the door for me. My entire life was changed by their work. I felt compelled to login, after a long absence, and say something. This community was a huge part of my life for a long time. I was even banned here once, long ago, when I was much younger and stupider, but had to create another account to keep on posting, because this was a home of mine! I love you all, I will forever love Linkin Park, and thanks for all the wonderful times and memories. It was an incredible ride. Much love, let us forever keep the legacy alive.

Krizlinkin likes this.
  2. SeL

SeL Active Member

I love you Chester, I love you Linkin Park and I love this community LPA you guys were like a family to me I've been following since 2010 this site and LP since 2007 and I am heartbroken still can't belive this is true!!!
    R.I.P. Chester I hope you are in a better place now and you guys at LPA will always remain like a family to me thank you for taking me with you on this journey of music we all had with LP....
    ~ When life leaves us blind ~
    ~ Love keeps us kind ~

Krizlinkin, Hybridora and Babali like this.
  3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

That was 14 years ago.

I don't think so.

The whole album of OML feels like a Suicide note.

AndreyKamensky likes this.
  4. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

I'm over it. I've dealt with tragedy within my family, so I'm somewhat hardened to stuff like this. I've got a hardened heart. A used and abused brain. I've been rocking HT/Meteora all day without any sadness. Gotta celebrate what this band did now. Honor! They won't be forgotten. Life goes on and any day could be your mother fucking last day. Live it up. All LP fans will become stronger because of this. It's a gift. I know that sounds bizarre but please believe me. I've been through this shit before. When you get a call at work from your mom telling you your dad died unexpectedly, you learn a few things about life. Get angry. Get pissed. Let it all out. Don't give a fuck. You will be better off, I promise. Sing and jam out to LP more than you ever have before! Amen.

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I still can't believe this is a reality. It still feels like a nightmare that I'll eventally wake up from :(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  6. Randomperson

Randomperson New Member

I've signed up cos I feel like I need to say something for catharsis' sake.. And I have also appreciated reading everyone else's thoughts in this thread so thank you to all others who have taken the time to say what they're feeling in light of this horrible turn of events.

It's weird how you can feel so affected by the death of somebody you have never met. And weird how when you hear of some celeb deaths you can feel like "oh that's a shame" but it doesn't move you in any deeper way than that surface acknowledgement. But when I heard of Chester's suicide, it was like a literal kick in the guts. It's hard to put into words the reasons why. The songs of Linkin Park have been a unique and important piece in my life since I was about 16 years old. I'm now 32 and married with 3 children. So for about half of my life, whenever there has been pain, there has been Linkin Park. They have always gone hand in hand. As a teenager trying to make sense of the untimely deaths of 3 of my friends? Linkin Park. Navigating the sea of shitty emotions after messy breakups? Linkin Park. Dealing with the fallout of a mentally ill mother for whom I acted as an all seasons scapegoat? Linkin Park. General life depression and sense of angry lostness? Linkin Park. I think you see my point. They are so closely intertwined for me. No music was called upon more in any of my times of most desperate need.

Listening to LP was such an effective coping mechanism for all of the times I have hit rock bottom for the precise reason that it made me feel like I was not the only one. I wasn't the first or only person to sink this low and feel these exact feelings. And even though those feelings were horrible and unpleasant and felt like the end of the world at the time I was feeling them, hearing Chester give a literal voice to them took away some of their power. You could hear his pain and you could plainly feel it. And so you didn't feel alone and you knew that this darkness wasn't unique to you alone. And there was just so much solace in that.

I wish that someone could have made Chester feel like he wasn't alone. And I wish I could say thank you for the all the times that his music was the reason why I didn't feel alone. Why I got through.

RIP Chester, I'm so sorry that it ended this way.

7. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Well-said my man. Thanks for coming here to share. Although it's a hard time, hearing all the stories of people's personal experiences really helps to show how wonderful Chester was.

Randomperson likes this.
  8. Gonzalenz

Gonzalenz New Member

This time this post will not be about Chester or Linkin Park. I want to take some time and thank you. All the members here. I'm 32 now and for years reading in Forums and especially writing wasn't my thing anymore. Thought I was too old for that. I've just checked the news every day and concentrated to the music itself without discussing the latest interview to the detail. But for what I have seen the last 2 days makes me really sad that I didn't join you guys before. To every comment where someone feels really really sad (where you hope they don't do something stupid) there were like 10 people who immediatly reached out and tried to help. I'm very glad that I came here after this heartbreaking news and even though I am here alone in my flat sitting on my computer it feels like I'm not alone. I'm happy to not have to go through this on my own like I usually do. We all share the same sorrow and I feel really united with you guys. Where ever you are in this world. This is a very strong and caring community. So in all the darkness a can still see a tiny light. One day it will consume the darkness. We'll just have to wait. I guess it will take some time.

Love you guys. Peace.

Krizlinkin, Ree and Randomperson like this.
  9. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Everybody has gone through something. Theres a reason why we all have gravitated to LP.

My reaction is switching from sadness to anger (because I cant stand fucking dead beat parents and chester just traumatized his whole fucking family. Suddenly in the back of his kids head suicide is and option now. I question why I'm even grieving for someone so fucking selfish) to moments like you when I don't care.

10. Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Don't post here much anymore but felt compelled to. Absolutely shocked and gutted by the news, these guys had a role in raising us so there is no shame in being upset.

Hope the band and the community can stay together.

Krizlinkin and Filip like this.
  11. Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

Yeah it seems like One More Light was his saying Goodbye to all of us

12. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

I wish it was just a dream...Chester, we miss you.

13. rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

There are people out there that think that Cris Cornell and Chester were murdered by some reason... its very confusing.

14. MigueLP

MigueLP Member

I have been a visitor for many years, but never posted here before. I am glad that we have a place like LPA to come and read the experiences of people with the same pain as me. Some of your messages are helping me a lot, thank you.
    This is a very difficult time for all of us. My deepest condolences to Chester's family, Mike, Brad, Rob, Joe, Dave and the team.

I also hope LPA can stay strong during this very difficult and painful period to continue helping us all. The LP community needs you.

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

This is one of the most positive message I've read on this board, and I wholefully agree with it. It's life. Sometimes, it's shit, sometimes, it's awesome. It's made of up and downs, all the time.

I'm getting better, and I hope each of us here eventually will. Stay strong everyone.

16. AThousandLivingThings

AThousandLivingThings Well-Known Member

"Nobody Can Save Me"
    "Heavy"
    "Good Goodbye"
    "One More Light"

It's crazy looking at the OML tracklist now.

Also, all the LP songs I listened to a hundreds times before hit me SO much harder now. Every line of it. I feel like now I TRULY understand them.

17. The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

@rocker94: yournewswire is known for fake news and conspiracy theories.

18. lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

We ll never see him Retiring Linkin Park as a fucking old man .... we never see him smiling again....
    His children wont see him again....
    Just WHY ???????????? ( the rumors of murder ....just wondering WHY? )
    Why this is happening ?

19. Crankshaft

Crankshaft Je m'appelle Baguette

The first time i heard LP was when i was just 9 years old and saw the video for "Pts.of.Athrty" in between watching cartoons. I remember how amazed i was by that video and i knew these guys were were truly something else. As i grew up and went through some bad experiences like being bullied daily or my parents fighting constantly, i started to understand and relate to the songs instead of just thinking "this sounds awesome!". I'd like to share some short stories about some of the albums with you.

I remember when ATS was released and i was at an all time low. My parents were seperating, i had anger issues, broke my hand and i had found out my grandfather was diagnosed with lungcancer (He's still alive and kicking today!). Waiting for the end and Iridescent got to me the most and were on repeat constantly. Eveytime i felt overwhelmed by everything going on i'd start up Iridescent and how the singing along with the line "Remember all the sadness and frustrations and let it go" tru;y felt like letting go. While that whole album is amazing, those 2 songs will always have a special place in my heart.

Fast forward to THP and i was doing alot better mentally and without those issues bringing me down it was finally time to "fix" myself. The first step was getting my weight under control so i started working out alot. Hearing Chester screaming on Keys to the Kingdom got me pumped everytime. So every morning for 5 days a week i was at the gym literally working my ass off while blasting THP in my headphones and i can honestly say that if i didn't have Chester screaming "NO CONTROL, NO SURPRISE" to me every morning for a solid year and a half, i wouldn't be where i am today.

Then the OML cycle came along and this time my mother was hospitalized with blood poisening and almost died. OML releasing shortly was the only positive in my life at the time. I hated my job, i hated myself for not getting a usefull degree and most importantly, as i mentioned before, my mom had almost died. This cycle was weird for me, They released Heavy when shit was actually getting pretty heavy for me personally, a snippet of "One more light" was leaked on instagram when my mom was still very sick and it didn't really look good and then when my mom started getting better, i heard "Battle Symphony" for the first time. Already this album meant a whole lot to me and yet again, through Chester's beautiful voice combined with the message of the songs, LP had helped me get back into a positive mindset.

Chester, thanks for sharing your stories and helping thousands of fans through hard times with your songs. I hope you found the peace you were looking for.

Krizlinkin and Gonzalenz like this.
  20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Reflectionist from these boards is having trouble logging in so he wanted me to share this message:

"Hey, guys. It's Reflectionist. I'm so sorry this phone is keeping me from being with all of you guys on the forums and shoutbox. Please know I am with you in spirit and I love you all. If anyone needs to talk, I will make myself available here on Facebook. If there is any kind of tribute for him being planned, I want in. Like many of you, Chester was more than just a hero, he was the guy that rescued us from the darkest corners of our own minds, and showed us life always has One More Light to share with us. Again, big hugs and lots of tears all around. Let's celebrate a great man's life."