Will you be able to listen to LP the same way? The lyrics are haunting now.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 21, 2017.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Ugh...so true

Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

Primo is very haunting now "tell them carry on, and miss me when I'm gone" we sure are missing him now that he's gone

Krizlinkin and Captain-EO like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I hope everyone just feels that the songs are reflecting a much deeper pain that we imagined, rather than some plan to kill himself this whole time. Otherwise that is reaching into serious tinfoil hat territory.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Honestay the only album that could potentially fall into that category is One More Light to begin with. The other music is too old, why would someone wait 17 years to kill themselves?

After the death One More Light reads like a suicide note so there is always that possibility. Me personally, I believe that it wasn't pre-planned with One More Light but could have been pre-planned with Chris Cornell's birthday. The fact that CC's birthday came shortly after his death did not help at all. Wouldn't surprise me if he had been thinking about it all along since his death. However, a small part of me wants me to think the alcohol he drank that night pushed him over the edge.

One thing is for certain and that is that we will truly never know.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    thematrix

thematrix Member

The most haunting song for me is Leave Out All The Rest. I can't hold my tears now everytime I listen to that song. I used to not crying when I listen to that song even though I always think that song is about someone's message before his death. But I did have the "what if Chester gonna leave this world forever, how sad I'll be when it happens, I know he's gonna die but please God not now" thoughts whenever I listen to it. And now he did it. He's gone for good. My worries answered too soon. Honestly I expected him to die at 70+ and even 80+ but he died way too soon....

Krizlinkin and Blake like this.
    TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

As somebody mentioned above, the thought of Sorry For Now being sung by Chester is gut wrenching

Krizlinkin and Blake like this.
    thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

I refuse to listen to LOATR

Krizlinkin and Evan like this.
    blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

Does anybody feel like performances of "One More Light" and "Crawling" at the last tour was like a goodbye to the fans? I think that Chester was never that long with the audience and performances have never been so emotional before. Of course I wouldn't have thought like this when I was watching all these livestreams, etc. but after what happened... It looks like it.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. And it makes it really tough for me to listen to some of their music. It really hits hard when I hear lines like "and the ground below grew colder, as they put you down inside" from VD, or "you woke the devil that I thought you left behind" in Powerless, or "the light on the horizon was brighter yesterday" from FM. Out of all their songs, I think Sharp Edges is the hardest for me to listen. For a song that's so centered around learning from and moving on from your mistakes, its really hard to hear Chester sing those words.

Krizlinkin and blackout. like this.
    Modern Guitar God

No, I'm not going to assume anything of that sort. It's up to anyone if they want to do that, but personally I can't make those connections without understanding his Day to day circumstances during that time. It's tacky in a way (sorry to put it that way).

Captain-EO likes this.
    Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

Slow ya roll is so hard to listen now when u can hear chester putting his soul to sing this part
    This can't be life we living,
    Cause I don't wanna live no more
    I don't wanna live no more

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I can't listen to music right now. Much less Linkin Park. Like anything that even remotely reminds me of LP, I can't do. It sucks because I love music but I'm just too emotional to do it right now.

thematrix

thematrix Member

Slow ya roll? I've never known it. What's that?

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Some rapper did a song and its a feature with chester.

thematrix

thematrix Member

Oh ok thanks

Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

Listening to LP has been one of the best things for me personally to understand the gravity of all this. Thinking of all the memories and reflecting on them has made me so much more grateful for what they have all done as a band and I wish I could have met them in person just to thank every single one of them. From first hearing them as a band with what I've done in the transformers movie to seeing the Catalyst for the first time and then seeing them live in Birmingham just the other week. So many great memories and thats what i think for me personally has been the best thing to do. Reliving all these great memories has been a really humbling experience

Modern Guitar God

Same for me, it's the way I can deal with this tragic moment.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I think I will never be able to listen to LP in the same way, when I did it in the past it was always singing along to every song, jumping and all that. Now it's more introverted thing, I still sing-along, but in a sad tone, almost crying every time I hear those songs. The way I see the lyrics shifted completely, as now they have a darker feel to it and I see most of the messages in the songs to be dark instead of inspirational and uplifting, but I hope I can change that approach when I deal with the situation in an easier way (don't know if it will ever happen, but I'd like it to). What is certain is that I'll never stop playing LP songs because this band is a huge part of my life and seeing them with their career on the line is heartbreaking for me, they still had a lot to give to music and more than 30 years as a 6-member band to come.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I'd also like to add Easier to Run to my list of songs that have a completely different weight to them.

"Wounds so deep they never show
    They never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head
    For years and years they've played"

"Sometimes I remember the darkness of my past
    Bringing back these memories I wish I didn't have
    Sometimes I think of letting go and never looking back
    And never moving forward so there'd never be a past"

"Just washing it aside
    All of the helplessness inside
    Pretending I don't feel misplaced
    Is so much simpler than change"

Those lyrics hit real hard.

Krizlinkin and kcg like this.
    Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

OML could be read as a goodbye note and at some point I also thought about it but suicide is never planned that far ahead. Back to topic, I'll never be able to listen to OML the same way because I know it's their last and most personal album. I also remember watching and reading countless interviews when this album was released in which Chester was saying how they discussed personal issues with other members.
    Other or old songs will always remind me how he seemed to be depressed for years with just short periods of happiness.