In my opinion, the band deserves to move forward with Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 22, 2017.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

No. They do not need a new singer, and honestly, it would just feel extremely odd and even rude to replace him after this. Just think about it. "Oh you killed yourself, guess we better find a replacement for you and have them sing all your songs."

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

As heartbreaking as it is to think about, they've had another lead singer since 2010 in Mike. Nobody can replace Chester. Nobody.

You're thinking way too literally about genres. What if Mike rapped over a full-blown alternative/classic rock & roll instrumental - essentially reinventing "rap-rock"? I'm not sure how it would sound but if any band in the world would be inspired enough to do something wild like that it would be this one.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Didn't Drowning Pool do something similar?

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Until the last century no one died from cancer because tuberculosis, malaria and typhoid got to them first. So according to you cancer doesn't exist, right? I don't usually get angry but it's pathetic that people like you are so anti-science that you'll willfully ignore any semblance of rational thought just because you can't get over the fact that some sicknesses effect the brain.

I often don't know whether I'm right or wrong about these things either. I've never suffered from mental health issues, and there's a lot we don't know about the subject. We're still a long, long way behind where we are in dealing with physical health. Regarding suicide, some people believe it's a fundamentally selfish act, and I can respect that. There's definitely no right or wrong answer to that one, and while I personally think it's a more nuanced issue than that, I can understand why some people feel that way. But anyone who goes around saying that mental illnesses don't exist, or that you should feel bad for feeling the way you do is spewing bullshit. Don't let anyone ever tell you you're a wuss for feeling the way you do. Your problems are real. Stay strong. :)

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

This is such a childish response. Firstly, cancer is observable whereas mental issues only the behavioural symptoms are and is a complex issue that's clearly misunderstood by a discipline that's less than 100 years old ( psychology). I mean they used to prescribe heroin to patients in the 50s, Sigmund Freud thought that cocaine was a viable solution to depression, and we're in the age of psychoactive medication to alter our brain chemistry to become "stable". We're conditioning ourselves daily with the type of stimulus we allow into our brains so no 2 people in this world are identical and share the same life experience. The point i'm making, which you seem to have not understood, is that you should make an effort to reach out for help for your children's sake. I don't give a fuck if your a tortured rock star, you pick up the phone and call someone for your children's sake.

A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

I wouldn't have made this thread but since someone already did, what does everyone think of Corey Taylor possibly working with the rest of the guys?

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Your ignorance is really apparent right there. It is never that simple. And you'd be foolish to think it was.

kcg, polleo, Krizlinkin and 4 others like this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

He is already in two bands. Dont think he "need" another one.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Yes, we all know Psychology is a relatively new field, and that we don't understand everything full yet. I literally said that in my last post. But what does that have to do with you implying that mental illnesses aren't real and that if he had just called someone his illness would have magically disappeared?

I don't support pseudo-science like you do.

Halfway Dwight and Captain-EO like this.
    Ghoul

Ghoul Member

My thoughts exactly.

Lets not forget how impressive Chester's range is.

Of course many bands have replaced their lead singer after a death, look at AC/DC, they replaced Bon with Brian. Bon was miles better imo but until last year they were still going with Brian - some 36 years.

SuperDude526

I will say this: it would be sad if Linkin Park ended, but if you listen to One More Light, especially the title track, it would be the perfect note for their story to end on.

Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

Linkin Park started with Chester and now it should end with Chester going away.

They were Xero before, so they should ask Mark Wakefield or another sing and perform under the Xero name.

You cannot replace Chester in Linkin Park.

SuperDude526

Or just perform under a different name. I don't think they should break up altogether, just take on a new identity.

Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

Yeah Mike, Rob, Brad, Dave and Joe should find a new singer and perform under a new name, they used to be called Xero before Chester, so they can continue with that.

SuperDude526

Yeah, I just think being Xero again would be too backwards-looking. They haven't been Xero for a long-ass time. I think it's time for a new chapter.

Iopia likes this.
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Agree with the sentiment. Although I personally wouldn't have a problem with the five of them continuing to use the Linkin Park name, a new name makes sense also (if they do decide to carry on).

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Really there is 5 options:
    1. Retire LP and Mike goes back to Fort Minor full-time while incorporating the rest of the band. To me, this is the most natural action if they want to still make music. OML may not be the best LP album lyrically or instrumentally, but it's the most honest and the best way to honor Chester's last time on vocals. Fort Minor is anything Mike needs it to be. Whether it's a continuation of LP, a hip hop band with live instruments or something all together, it is an established project that doesn't have to worry about restarting a completely new brand.

2. Retire LP and start a new band. Basically, just Linkin Park under a new name.

3. Get a new singer. Probably my least favorite of the likely options. LP just won't work without Chester. It's not impossible, as Xero existed without Chester, but I feel most wouldn't be completely comfortable with it.

4. Mike becomes the lead vocalist from now on. This is also not impossible as Mike's singing only improves with age, but let's face it. He doesnt have the vocal range that Chester did. If this were to happen, a lot of the rock elements in LP would fade as Mike doesn't have the voice for the anthems/ballads/heavier songs that require a stronger voice.

5. This is the worst case scenario but highly unlikely and that is that all members just stop making music and retire, or at least not release anything commercially. Very unlikely but a possibility.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I think, first and foremost, any future decisions made will be done with Chester's loved ones as the primary concern. Linkin Park is a very tight knit band, their families and loved ones included and the priority right now will be to do everything to try and help each other somehow get through this whilst mourning an incredible person.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

What are you going on about? I've been battling depression/anxiety since I was 10 years old and had suicidal ideations when in my mid 20's. Every morning on my commute to work i was imagining scenarios that i would do it to make it look like an accident. I had my mind almost made up that i would drown on a beach somewhere. I lost my Dad young (which triggered this response out of me because Chester did the same to his kids), have had issues with substances, and my life had fallen apart financially, academically/professional, and personally. Don't pretend to know me and/or judge me based on internet forum posts. Meditation saved my life and it showed me that my state of mind can be changed. That led to a fitness lifestyle, finishing school and getting a job --everything changed after discovering meditation The depression i believe will always live with me, but it is managed now.

Anyway, i don't want to get hostile. I'm sorry for what you have gone through and if i offended you in any way. This is a sensitive time for all of us. I'm experiencing anger right now towards Chester for doing what he did, but this is a natural reaction to suicide. I cried and was shocked at first, then i was angry, right now I'm crying again as i replay hybrid theory.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Henry and dontFindOutMe like this.
    Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Yeah, you probably shouldn't have gone into that topic, it's clearly too sensitive right now... I do understand those who react angrily about that. But I will also state Chester does have to take the blame for leaving back six children without a dad, as thesungoesdown said. No matter how much he did go through hell, there is always a decision and selfish is a hard word but I see thesungoesdown's point about that.