Where Were You?

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by Sonic, Jul 25, 2017.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Thanks for sharing this post! May I ask, where did you get the Grey Daze albums from? I've always wanted physical copies of them.

kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

Amazon. They were really expensive.

Blake

Ah, I should have looked there. I figured they are really expensive. One day I'm going to sick it up and buy them though. I really want them.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Did a quick search on eBay: Someone has Wake Me autographed by Chester on sale for $15,000. Fuck out of here.

I was hoping with the reunion that was supposed to happen we would get a re-release or something.

Prowl

Prowl Member

My sister told me the news when I was getting ready for work. It didn't register immediately as I was in a hurry. When I was on the way, I looked up the news and felt my stomach drop. A myriad of emotions coursed through me. Disbelief, anger, extreme sadness, guilt (as I never really kept up with the news post living things), nostalgia (as they were a big part of my late teen years). Saw "lost in the echo" and teared up. I still can't believe he's gone. I've never seen them perform live as they have never come to India. So in a weird way, still feels like he's alive to me. Been listening to LP non-stop since that day.
    Thank you Chester Bennington. RIP.

Blake

I feel like we might have got a re-release because they were in the studio. Probably won't happen anymore, now.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I had been playing GTA V: Online on xbox with my one friend when I hoped on the LPA on my phone to post something, probably in The Hunting Party hurt / heal thread. Then I saw tons of people posting in the shoutbox, freaking out about something. I scrolled down and my heart dropped and what I saw: Chester was dead. I was in complete denial. I remember saying to my friend, "Oh my god, TMZ is reporting that Chester is dead. This has to be a hoax, right?" The next half hour of my life felt like forever. I told my friend I'd be back, just absolutely shocked and in denial about the what I just learned. I was constantly checking back in the shoutbox for anything, looking at twitter, google, just anything official from the band, the last hope that maybe this was all a hoax. But eventually Mike put up his heartbreaking tweet, and I was just completely devastated. I texted my brothers, who both grew up with the band, and I also texted my girlfriend about it too. We all had tickets to see them live this Sunday.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I was at work. It was a really busy day so I wasn't able to do my normal "not work at work" thing, and had to do my "work at work" thing. A co-worker of mine of similar age stopped by my desk and told me the news.

My first thought was to come here. The site wouldn't load. That's when I knew.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

On my couch, thumbing through Twitter as I spoke with my fiance. Saw that someone had retweeted the TMZ tweet. My entire demeanour changed. I don't think my mouth closed for 30 minutes.

EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

I was home from work Thursday, watching TV...had the oddest feeling, so I hopped on FB. First post was from my radio station back home reporting he had died.

Not believing it...Cuz, well, the internet is 100% truth...took me 20 minutes to see it flash on the news. Even then, still in complete shock and disbelief, I log on Twitter...apparently, I am a social media whore...anyway, I went straight to Mike's Twitter page and kept refreshing until the actual confirmation came direct from the guys.

Shock, overwhelming sadness and heartbroken. Bout sums that hour up.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I had just watched the Talking to Myself video. I got so excited. A new single! More promo appearances! A possible Asia tour leg!! I was so excited for what's in store for Linkin Park.

The next morning I received tons of messages and tagged posts from my friends about the news. I was devastated.

A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

At work when I found out both my dad and Chester died. Shittiest 10 month span I've ever had. Easily

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

I was at my girlfriends, I finished work a bit late and got to hers at 5:15pm, with Heavy and Sorry For Now being the last 2 songs I listened to as I reached her driveway, which seems quite poignant as I reflect back on it. Anyway, I had my tea there and we were watching a DVD when my Mum rings just before 7pm I believe. It was weird, I had this odd feeling as my Mum has rang me before when I'm there but this time, it just felt different, I had this concerned vibe before I even answered the call.

Anyway, I answer the phone and she says, "do you want the bad news?" and I said "okay..." thinking for a split second it would be something totally unrelated and small compared to what she was going to tell me. Then she proceeded by saying "Linkin Park's singer, Chester Bennington has been found dead..." I had to ask her to repeat as she was kind of breaking up due to bad signal, so I asked her to clarify and she said "Chester has been found dead, he's apparently hung himself this morning because today is his friend, Chris Cornell's Birthday". I then had that out-of-body experience and I felt numb and cold, I just didn't know what to say and I was speechless for a few seconds. My girlfriend immediately knew something was up and asked me what was wrong as I said "oh god!" I told her Chester has committed suicide and she went "NO!" and ran downstairs to tell her Mum and Step-Dad to put the news on.

Nothing was coming up so she put her iPad on and the wait was unbearable, I just didn't know what to think and my Mum was reading the story to me over the phone from the Daily Mail. I asked her if the information was correct and how did she find out and she said she was browsing the computer and saw the news about OJ Simpson when a headline appeared a bit further down the page and when she told my Step-Dad, he too was shocked and told her to text me however, she said she would ring me instead so I was aware.

As soon as my girlfriend's iPad was on, I told her to go on LPA. She said it was coming up on Google but I told her to go on LPA to see if anything was announced and at this point, I was still on the phone with my Mum as she was asking if we'd seen the story yet. I was reading the comments in the chat box with people desperate to see if the news was true. My fears were growing as I sensed it was indeed real by the confirmation from Jimmy Kimmel and other users on here believing it was real. That was when it hit me like a tonne of bricks, he's actually gone. I ended the call with my Mum telling her I'd be home soon. My sister (who went with me to the Birmingham show) rang me and asked if it was true. I said I wasn't sure as we were still finding out and although people were confirming it I still wanted to deny it was true and told her I was looking into it but it looked to be true and she was stunned. She said our Step-Cousin contacted her on instagram and told her so that must have been shocking for her also. I ended the call with my sister as I waited for more confirmation.

Once Chester's close friends confirmed it, my girlfriend told her Mum and Step-Dad it was true and they were sad also as they knew how much of a big fan I was and they were so invested in going to see Linkin Park in Manchester and I really wish they got to see him in his prime before he left us. As my girlfriend was speaking to them, it came up on Sky News and I was heartbroken. I left a comment in the chat box and then signed off, I then rang my friend who was also a Linkin Park fan and spoke to him for 10 minutes. Not long after, I asked my girlfriend to take me home, I was silent practically the whole car journey back. When I got back I was wrapping presents for my girlfriend's Nan as it was her Birthday the following day. I checked on LPA whilst doing this and saw Mike Shinoda's tweet. I started welling up and went to bed early not long after completing the wrapping, in shock. The next day was when I was an emotional wreck.

I can't believe it will be a week tomorrow since the tragic news came through.

Fathom and Blake like this.
    Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

Ugh, I'm gonna get a ptsd attack just from recounting it.

I was at a trip in Rome with my family. After a really nice day around the Colosseum, we headed back to the hotel. We were in a hotel room, discussing whether or not to go out again to eat. I said "let's go". That was when I received a Facebook message from my coworker/friend saying "Whaaaaaat"

I was like, "What what? :)", but he didn't answer. So first I checked my work email. Nothing noteworthy. Ok, let's see if it's something in the news. I opened index.hu (biggest hungarian news site), and this shit looked back at me on the front page:

http://i.imgur.com/jhWg2lP.jpg

(It reads "Linkin Park singer has committed suicide. Chester Bennington, 41, has hung himself.")

I understood the words, but the whole thing felt like an alternate reality (I guess it's a familiar feeling for most of us, at least since thursday). I went into meltdown. It felt so surreal. I kept repeating something to the effect of "OMG". My mom asked, "Did someone die?" I told her yes. When she asked who, I just couldn't say it for a while, I showed her the screen, but she didn't have glasses on, so I had to say it.

Then I opened LPA. I had little doubt that it was true, but the site not loading confirmed it for sure (there was no news article yet at that moment).
    I opened my emails, there was another message waiting from my best friend with whom I went to 4 shows, with a link to the tmz article, saying "What the fuck is this?"

I answered, "Is this really happening"? Well, it happened for sure, but I still have moments when it just doesn't feel real.

darkviruz

darkviruz Well-Known Member

I just wanted to lie down to sleep.
    Shortly before, my sister (also a big LP fan) wrote me if I already knew the chester is no longer there.
    I have not realized the message. I thought the message would be a fake.
    Unfortunately, it was not like that.
    It felt as if a family member had died
    Unfortunately, it was not like that.
    I could not really sleep well after that.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I don't want to feel that feeling when someone I know takes their own life anymore.

Gravity_LP likes this.
    TheBowlCombo

TheBowlCombo Member

My day was a mangled mess of irony, nostalgia, happiness and grief. It was our 5 year wedding anniversary. I was at home in my office working. It was a slow day so I was playing a video game on my other computer while I worked. Civilization V. It was a fantastic day. All smiles. Work was slow. We've been married 5 years which in today's era is a feat in itself. I had just downloaded a new version of my favorite childhood game. It was just a great day.

2:49pm EST. I heard my phone vibrate on the desk and thought it was a text from my wife. We'd been texting back and forth all day. Instead I could see it was one of my best friends I grew up with. Specifically, the same friend I used to play Civilization I with 15 years ago. The same friend who ,when we were just 13, was the only one who shared the same profound love for LP. I talk to him every month or two so this was not out of the norm. I opened my phone to a text message that read "Dude. Chester killed himself. Sad day today brother". I thought I'd gotten past the tears but just typing that text out is tough. I remember several things happened simultaneously. I fell back in my chair and felt as if I had fallen away from my body. The same feeling experienced in a car crash right before you hit. The rush of endorphins was so severe I had to consciously and verbally tell myself to calm down. My head told me to search for definitive confirmation first. Hoaxes are a thing. However, the thought of all the hate OML received then ran through my mind and I knew deep down it was true. I just knew it. I googled Linkin Park on my phone. Nothing showed in the results. I chose the News option under Google and saw one Report. Just ONE Report. The TMZ report and as damn annoying as they are, I knew then it was real and I remember saying out loud; "Oh Chester". I felt the most extreme sadness I've ever experienced. I still had to pick up my wife from work and then go out to dinner with our kids for our anniversary at 4pm. I had about an hour to digest what I could. I am an extremely happy person by nature. I love all things about life. I treasure the moments I spend with my wife, children, family and friends. The littlest, stupidest things make me so happy and excited on a daily basis. I have never struggled so hard in my life to be happy that evening. I think any ounce of happiness I was able to squeeze out was probably purely based on adrenaline and denial due to being in shock.

The next few days consisted of watching the world react. Thinking about and googling about Chester as soon as I awoke. The chorus from "Halfway Right" running through my head almost every waking hour I'm not consciously thinking about something else. I wonder so many things. Did all of the negative energy directed at LP for OML push Chester over the edge. Mankind has proven we are incapable of handling the presence of true greatness. We damage and tarnish it and take it for granted until every ounce of it used and it finally leaves us. And maybe that was it? I know he'd struggled. It's clear from his music but hadn't the love and support that LP and the community created been enough ? I struggled for a while to understand why and in the end none of us ever truly will know exactly why. The more I think about it the more I feel like it's so disrespectful to keep asking why. We should be asking "How?". How can we stop this from happening to those still here and how can we lift up and embrace those around us who struggle, in a way that truly brings them the happiness they seek ? Suicide ,on the surface, appears selfish and weak. And it certainly feels that way to those left behind. Under the surface one discovers it takes an incredible amount of will power and strength to take you own life. It's the ultimate paradox. To have the will power to take your own life over life's demons, but to lack the will power to actually fight those demons. It's a true paradox that I think perfectly encapsulates the human condition. We are fragile creatures. Much like fish in a fish tank. Many small negative changes can lead to an eventual collapse of our ecosystem. Our way of life.

It feels so good to be able to post my thoughts and feelings on all of this. Chester truly was an inspiration to so many. Just remember it gets better. There are so many memories filled with joy just waiting to be made and while looking back will bring sadness. Don't be ashamed of that sadness. It makes us all human.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I was in a work meeting when the news broke and I just walked out, I couldn't cry in front of the people I'm supposed to lead. They kinda put 2 and 2 together when I reappeared about 15 mins later and everybody was so sympathetic.

My phone was blowing up with condolences but I just switched it off because I didn't want it to be real.

Walking home from work, I just couldn't do it anymore so I sat at a bus stop (there was no danger of people being around, it was very late) and burst into tears.

I never ever want to feel that way again, it upsets me so much even thinking about that day

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

I was driving to Adelaide with my brother. I got an odd text from my other brother saying "where to now for LP?". I thought WTF does that mean?

When I arrrived in Adelaide, my mum called and said Kim (my sister) had RIP Chester on Facebook. And she was like who is that? And my sister said LP lead singer.

And so there was initial confusion as to what "lead singer" she was referring to. Either way absolutely devastating news.

A few friends texted too. All shocked and a follow up of what now?

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I live in India and woke up to the news.

Half asleep, I opened Instagram on my phone to see an update by the @LinkinPark handle - the one where Chester is seen singing atop the crowd. Pretty routine, I thought but just before I was going to scroll away - I saw the last comment that simply said, "Heartbroken". I didn't know what to make of it so I opened the other comments to that photo which is when I read messages like "RIP Chester", "I'm shocked..! Devastated!"..so on and so forth.

In a daze, the first website I visited was LPA, and saw the headline and Mike's tweet. I then went to Facebook where every other friend was posting about the story as well. All of this happened in under 3-5 minutes I would say. Unreal.