Linkin Park Post Message to Chester Following His Death

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Ironically, more than not, what is missed about Chester is his infectious joy and laughter. Even in interviews, his presence just lightened up the mood of the room and put everyone more at ease. I think his presence also made some tough times for the band easier in that way

Abel, brady, minuteforce and 6 others like this.
  2. EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

There isn't a time when I am not blasting music in the house. Lol

dontFindOutMe and Mysticliz like this.
  3. thor

thor Well-Known Member

If the band decides to continue with their music, and I hope they do, they should just have Mike sing everything now. and about changing the band name, wasn’t it Chester who came up with the name Linkin Park? so to change it, I feel it would be is if they’re trying to move on from him. They should just keep the name Linkin Park to honor him.

MadNyankomon-Senpai and Sonic like this.
  4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Kiiara's beautiful tribute.

5. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

What I'm about to ask is meant to help bring closure, and not to be disrespectful. Has it ever been confirmed whether Chester was previously diagnosed with a mental illness or disorder of any kind? We know all too well about his recurring depression, but I have this gut feeling that something else was contributing to his downward spiral. To see Chester have such emotional highs and lows on and off really makes me think he may have been afflicted with more than just depression. Or, he was really good at hiding how he truly felt, and only appeared to be happy most of the time for the past several years.

I know we are all grieving and trying to move on in our own ways, and this is my way of doing so, attempting to come up with a reasonable/analytical explanation for Chester's actions in recent months.

6. AThousandLivingThings

AThousandLivingThings Well-Known Member

Having dealt with depression within my family, I think I can tell you a little more about it. Depression I think is best described as "cancer in your mind". Going through cancer you have happy and bright moments and you may be really happy around people, but inside the illness goes on and spreads. The same goes for depression. In some moments you are the funniest person in the room and bring joy to those around you, but inside you are ill and it never stops and in most cases only gets worse. I hope this helps.

dreamerpoet likes this.
  7. darkviruz

darkviruz Well-Known Member

If they should perform in future this laugh and joke from Chester will be missed.

8. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

You know what I don't understand? A lot of people that people that knew Chester personally have said that they have no idea why he did it because he did not seem like a depressed person. The weird thing about this for me is that he mentioned several times in interviews recently that he's had a really hard time the last couple of years, that there were times where he thought about giving it all up and that he did not do well on his own, in his own mind. Not to mention the lyrics he wrote... Were those people just not listening? It makes me sad to think that he was not heard.

9. Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

Those closest to him certainly listened and supported him...
    1 thing a lot of ppl don't understand about depression is that we can fake being happy temporally... a smile a joke a laugh... a few yeah I'm good I'm fine I'm getting there.. and those closest put their guards down... yet we're still as dark within our own minds... that place no one but us can go...
    "I'm holding up a light
    Chasing out the darkness inside"

He was trying so hard to come through the darkness....

10. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

That's exactly what I mean. Just because he didn't look like he wasn't depressed, doesn't mean he was doing okay. I feel like some people are a bit ignorant in that regard.

But I've never dealt with a depressed person, so I guess it's easy for me to talk. I just feel sad for him and a bit frustrated as well.

11. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I don't know how close those people were to Chester (beside his family and band members obviously) but sometimes even if you see a person hurting and you're a very good acquintance it's hard to come and say how are you and expect a person to open up to you. You can pretend all you want in front of them and they'll think you're great because you're such a good actor. It's family you can't pretend in front of and he said himself he was getting help.

12. barush

barush Active Member

My mother is a psychologist and she calls this "smiling depression". Apparently, it's quite common, and it can be really hard for close people to recognize and help the affected person. Unfortunately :(

13. StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

I'm a Catholic and my faith has taught me that the soul of the departed makes it to Heaven 40 days after they die. That said, with all the love, well wishes, and prayers the LP fan base poured out, I believe Chester's journey to Heaven will be a smooth one.

Abel likes this.
  14. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Given what both his wife and the band members said after his passing it's quite obvious the man was dealing with issues to some extent for his entire tenure with the band. He may have even been suffering from extreme highs and lows, just because you saw him smiling and laughing in videos throughout the years doesn't mean he wasn't also mopey, miserable, and argumentative as often.

15. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

As someone who puts on a persona of extreme jocularity, especially when I feel miserable, anxious, or stressed, I definitely think this is important to keep in mind.

Blake likes this.
  16. betthethao

betthethao New Member

I honestly hope they do persevere and continue as linkin park. The only thing is who could they get that could fill the hole that Chester left because he's irreplaceable. I honestly think that they should have a rotating lead singer for every album after this. If they should continue.