what will happen to linkin park now?

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by Mahdi Mobaraki, Jul 24, 2017.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Reading all of this is just heartbreaking. I was going to make a comment, but I realized that I really don't even want to think about this. To put it simply: THIS FUCKING SUCKS.

I miss you so much, Chester.

Doridorica, Deewelz, Sasuke and 4 others like this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

To be honest I think it still being so recent is effecting peoples opinion on it. I think in like 2 or 3 years if you see a new Linkin Park singer with a different singer, you'll see a lot more hesitation and people iffy on pushing forward under the name. A lot of what I'm seeing now seems to be a kind of "Don't let it end!" attitude and are just under the impression (or trying to convince themselves) a different singer or Mike only vocals would still be just as good.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

As for me, I know it very well that it won't ever be the same, it's just that there are several aspects of LP's music unrelated to Chester that I happen to really like. I just don't want to lose everything all at once, it's a huge blow already.

But yeah, I have my doubts about whether Mike only/a new singer could work. But it might worth a try.

Gravity_LP and Sonic like this.
    chowchowchowder

chowchowchowder Member

Someone in the LP reddit thread mentioned it would be interesting to see them continue but feature different artists instead. Kind of like what they did with Kiara. I think that would be a beautiful way to continue. Not by replacing Chester but by acknowledging his continued presence through collaboration with different artists and voices.

darkviruz likes this.
    Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

That would work for new records, but what about live?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

That might be cool, like later Gorillaz albums. One "lead singer" and a big rotation of guests.

Probably also like Gorillaz; save tours as big special events and just bring everyone you can with you.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

I think the opposite is the case. When the wounds have healed fans will be more likely to accept that a new era begins and that getting a new singer isn't disrespectful to Chester. Of course, if Linkin Park decide to continue, it'll be hard and it'll never be the same but I think people will understand and accept some day.

Iopia likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

See, this is where I think you are wrong. You are making the assumption that people calling the band "not the same" without Chester are casual fans.
    Spoiler alert: That's not true. I only managed to see them live once in 2014 but I'm an avid hardcore Linkin Park. While the band is 6 people, a lot of people like the band BECAUSE of Chester Bennington. I'm not saying the band is only him but he is the reason I grew to the like the band in the first place and without him I don't think I would have ever become a fan of the band. So to me if they replace him or if they use the name Linkin Park it's not the same.

I'm not stuck in the past either. My favorite Linkin Park album is Living Things. I just truly believe that Chester is what made me like Linkin Park so much and it's not the same without him. And whether it's a bunch of a casual fans complaining about Linkin Park moving on without Chester or its both casual and hardcore fans, the point is still there that it won't feel right without Chester.

Memory123

Memory123 Member

This band still consists of 5 incredibly talented musicians. I can't even in a million years imagine Chester wanting them to stop. If anything his f*cking depression told him that they'd be better off without him. Cause that's how f*cked up mental illnesses are.

They don't deserve any of this. Noone deserves this. Music is their calling and deep down I feel that they still have the drive & the willpower to do this.
    Music is such an incredible outlet and as it has healed & helped so many of us it can do the same for them.
    Whenever they feel ready to continue I am a 100 % here to support them. We owe it to them.

chowchowchowder and Gravity_LP like this.
    MadNyankomon-Senpai

MadNyankomon-Senpai Well-Known Member

I might be a bit Offtopic but seeing this is killing me from the inside

Go at 8:54 and listen what Mike and Chester will say, they are both joking about it but it might sadly be true. It makes me cry everytime seeing this.
    This Video came out 2 Months Ago, but it was probably recorded before Chris Cornell's death.

Carla, ZelesteBeauty and newswatcher like this.
    Deewelz

Deewelz Member

It's hard to say what will happen to Linkin Park because as we all know that Chester Benington is the heart and soul of the group...:cry:

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think why I don't have too much of a problem with this is because Mike was really the main reason I stayed with the band. I'm in the minority of LP fans who got into the hip hop elements over the rock so, idk, maybe that's why I wouldn't mind if LP continued under the same name.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

It's completely up to them. Whatever they do, they're gonna do it believing it's what Chester would have wanted, and who knows that better than them?

Personally, I would love to see albums of songs like Heavy with regards to Kiiara, or even AFN with regards to Page, where artists are featured for explosive choruses and such that Mike can't handle. But that totally doesn't mean they can't do more great stuff like Sorry For Now with just Mike on Vocals, or Robot Boy/Debris where gang vocals are really carrying it.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

It would even hard for them to find someone like Chester's versatility in terms of vocal performance in studio and Live. I haven't heard any updates from Mark Wakefield. With all these bands paying respect to Chester, the only person I haven't heard yet is from Wakefield's statement. Does he care?

King Mainos

King Mainos Member

Hey Guys, I made this video and music to remember Chester Bennington. More 2 come. Please subscribe if you want to see more and share this video. Leave a comment and free to share this forum on my youtube channel.

newswatcher

newswatcher New Member

I'm 71-years old and I've liked LP since the moment I first heart "Hybrid Theory" in 2002 at the young age of 56, and was struck by their unique sound and energy. I have no idea what will happen to LP. I feel like Mike and the band will come to some intelligent resolution, but the loss of Chester is enormous. Very hard for me to see a LP on stage with another singer, he was extremely unique and a focal point for the band, but the band is unique in itself, excellent musicians and songwriters. Whatever, LP has a catalog that is extremely strong. If they continue...so be it. If not, I'll understand. I've listened to them a lot the last few weeks and watched their videos. Doesn't make me sad but I sure will miss Chester.

darkviruz

darkviruz Well-Known Member

Welcome to LPA :)
    I am very pleased that LP appeals young & old.

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

I think they'll either rebrand their name to commemorate Chester and a new "rebirth" of the band. Which won't be hard... cause they're always changing styles. Chester being absent is going to be very hard for a while, so I don't think they will carry the same name. They became LP shortly after Chester joined and all 6 of them stand for Linkin Park.

A new name won't be so bad. And I think they should do it, cause I know if my best friend died? I don't think I'd carry on that name without him

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I agree partially what you've said but IMO, LINKIN PARK is a big name to start with. It's like a brand as well.. I know it's hard to accept to continue without Chaz but changing their band name because Chester is not their anymore is a bit selfish(?) I guess? Mike has the biggest contribution as well in shaping the band for years and years, building the LINKIN PARK brand. So changing the band name is unlikely, for me at least. We have different views and perceptions about the future of the band but the impact would be huge this time around post-Chester era and onwards. The changes might not give impact to some people but the transition this time around is subtle because we have two versatile vocalists in the band. I know Mike can't scream hard like Chester, though but we should not forget that Mike is the master of mash-ups (see Fort Minor 2015). We can see some vocal collaborations in the future (I hope) like Austin Carlile (former OM&M frontman), Kiiara and etc. to honor Chester's legacy.

And they don't need to replace Chester. He is irreplaceable. If they do so, they need 2 vocalists (1 can sing high notes and 1 all screaming) to nail Chester's part. Chester was 2 'n' 1, that's why he was unique and special.

ZelesteBeauty likes this.