Will you be able to listen to LP the same way? The lyrics are haunting now.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Add Carousel to the list

"An addict and he can't hold the reins
    The pain is worse 'cause his friends have it the same
    Tries to slow down the problem he's got
    But can't get off the carousel until he makes it stop

He can only fool himself for so long [3x]
    I'm too weak to face me
    (he can only fool himself)"

2. Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

Not sure but I don't find them any different... lyrics make more sense...
    But I don't view the tracks ppl say can be taken as goodbyes or note as that... as most if those are older tunes... I see them as him fighting and banishing his demons if only for a while ... even the OML album it was over a year in the making...

Please tell me if this make sense or I'm rambling ...

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  3. Svija

Svija Member

At first i thought i cannot do it. I was filled with love, anger, disappointment. First i was angry becouse it felt like i lost a friend who i have never seen face to face, but for my soul. First i felt that i got a slap on my face. That im still here and he helped me to fight. And then he is the one giving it up. I felt betrayed for a few minutes. Then slowly the anger changed to love and understanding that we all fight demons and his time has to come. And now im listening to it every day, mostly non stop, and im filled with love. It still helping me to fight.

4. chowchowchowder

chowchowchowder Member

Before... the songs were comforting in a sense that they were keeping me company though hard times. I internalized the lyrics selfishly.

Now that Chester lost his battle, when I listen to the songs, I can only hear it as if he is telling his story. The angsty teen inside me has gone missing. Instead, my focus is entirely on Chester and how much the lyrics must have resonated with him. Which makes listening to the songs very difficult.

I really wonder if I will ever hear the songs how I did before ever again.

dreamerpoet and Blake like this.
  5. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

Some songs are haunting and I still can't listen to them or it's really hard and they're a reminder (OML, NCSM, Invisible although it's not about Chester, LOATR, Shadow of the day) but these other songs are not haunting but jus a reminder that he's always battled with his demons and it makes me so sad :(

Mysticliz, Blake and dreamerpoet like this.
  6. Deewelz

Deewelz Member

Listening to Linkin Park songs remind me of my happy days when I was younger....

AndreyKamensky likes this.
  7. AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

Yup, pretty much all lp's lyrics are haunting now. I won't be able to hear them the same way that I did before.

Deewelz likes this.
  8. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I agree w this. It's disturbing that people keep reading them as hints of suicide or goodbye notes

darkviruz and Mysticliz like this.
  9. Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

@Tony V

I am actually a tad worried that the track... sorry 4 now.. Will be miss interpreted.. as I heard Mike say in interview it's about the kids and half heartedly apologising for being so busy or away... and how as fathers they are sorry 4 now but when older the kids will understand better the demands and hard work their dad's put into giving them the live style they have...
    I may be wrong..

I spoilt my Daughter when I worked lates because I felt guilty about not being there when she went to bed...

Does this make sense..

10. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I also don't see them as suicide notes but understand why some people do. They are haunting now because of their theme and it does seem like Chester's saying goodbyd but people tend to see the signs when people die.

11. Deewelz

Deewelz Member

Because people are born to find reasons for every action they made.

12. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Yeah I thought the same thing. I considered SFN to be one of the stronger candidates for a big hit single (way more than Invisible, which seemed to eb the runaway favorite) and now I couldn't think of a worst choice. I hadn't really been hit with the feeling of the "new meaning" of songs like other people, but that one specific song really makes me almost cringe in a way.