Hypothetical future LP setlist as a 5 piece band

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by crashandburn24, Aug 28, 2017.

crashandburn24

crashandburn24 Forfeit the game

I just got wondering what it would be like if the band as a 5 piece were to try and work some of their material into a setlist without Chester. As they move forward it will be interesting. Obviously a lot of well known material could potentially be cut due to Chester not being present but we are still left with a bunch of fantastic songs that Mike has done over the years. Mike would probably have to sharpen up on his frontman abilities as the lead and potentialy sing some of chesters parts. This would have to be a realistic setlist as well, so I didn't include demo's and LPU releases. A lot of familiar work and well known songs would most likely not be played due to not being able to pull them off without Chester. After making the setlist it seems possible though that this could work and please the fan base (from my perspective at least). Also, the songs may take some shuffling around with the order. There is also the possibility that mike could learn some of chesters parts where appropriate and create even more material that can be played as a 5 piece. Well Here is a brainstorm. Please let me know what you think!!

1.) The Requiem
    2.) The Radiance
    3.) When They Come For Me - Mike sings as well as Phoenix and Brad backing vocals)
    4.) Invincible
    5.) Step Up
    6.) Robot Boy - intro only
    7.) Hands Held High
    8.) Castle of Glass
    9.) Until it Breaks
    10.) Papercut - first 2 versus
    11.) Lost in the echo - first 2 versus
    12.) Devils drop
    13.) Roads Untraveled
    14.) In The End - crowd sings chesters part
    15.) Session
    16.) High Voltage
    17.) Good Goodbye - Mike sings all
    18.) In Between
    19.) No Roads Left
    20.) Skin to Bone
    21.) One Step Closer - instrumental (extended outro)
    22.) Bleed it out - (Mike sings and crowd helps)

Mkvx and Knt.Slbs like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

That's a decent set. but you forgot Welcome

Here's mine...

1 Joe Solo Intro
    2 Step Up/Nobody's Listening (No chorus)/It's Going Down
    3 Dolla/Waiting for the End
    4 Hands Held High
    5 High Voltage (2015 remix)

6 Robot Boy (Interlude)
    7 Petrified
    8 Welcome
    9 Good Goodbye
    10 Cigarettes (2015 version)

11 KRWLNG intro (Phoenix on Cello/ Shinoda on Keys) Joe on original Crawling sample...
    12 Crawling (Shinoda on vocals tribute to Chaz)
    13 Leave Out All The Rest (2017 version) (Shinoda vocals)
    14 Pushing Me Away (Piano version) (Shinoda vocals)
    15 Dedicated / Reading My Eyes

16 Session (Joe and Bourdon interlude)
    17 Until it Breaks (Delson on vocals)
    18 Invisible

19 Mike Solo Medley
    20 Numb/Encore (Shinoda rap)
    21 Papercut
    22 In the End (Crowd on chorus)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

I made this setlist some time ago and posted it on LPLive and I think it's pretty good. Honestly I was working on this setlist really long, one hour or even more...

1. One More Light (Chester's pre-recorded studio version acapella; Verse 1 + Chorus only)
    2. Sorry For Now (Ext. Intro; Where'd You Go Verse 1 Bridge)
    3. Until It Breaks (Mike singing Chester's part; normal album outro with Brad on vocals)
    4. Mash-up #1 (Points of Authority's Rap on extended intro of Faint -> album Faint intro -> Faint Verse 1 -> Papercut Chorus on Faint Instrumental -> Faint Verse 2 -> Papercut Chorus again -> Instrumental bridge -> Papercut chorus)
    5. It's Goin' Down / High Voltage [ROTATION]
    6. When They Come For Me (Empty Spaces Intro; Shortened - No Bridge, No Outro)
    7. Good Goodbye (Ext. Sing-a-long Intro; Live Version; Band Gang Vocals in Chorus)
    8. Leave Out All The Rest (2017 Version)
    9. Castle of Glass (Experience Version; 2017 Ending w/ A Place For My Head v1 or Petrified v1 or A Light That Never Comes v1)
    10. It Goes Through / Devil's Drop [ROTATION]
    11. Skin To Bone (Band Gang Vocals in Chester's Parts)
    12. In Between (New Version)
    13. Hands Held High
    14. Roads Untraveled
    15. Final Masquerade (Acoustic Version)
    16. Shadow Of The Day (Piano Version) / Iridescent (Piano Version) [ROTATION]
    17. Invisible (Ext. Intro)
    18. Mash-up #2 (Waiting For The End Intro -> WFTE Rap Verse 1 -> Transition into Wastelands/Wretches And Kings/Remember The Name Mash-up Instrumental -> Wretches And Kings Verse 1 -> Remember The Name Chorus -> Wastelands Verse 2 -> Bridge -> Remember The Name Chorus)
    19. All For Nothing (Band Gang Vocals in Chester's Part)
    20. No Roads Left
    21. In The End (crowd singing Chorus and Bridge)
    22. Rebellion (Shortened; No Bridge)

23. Burning In The Skies (Short The Requiem/The Radiance Intro) / Battle Symphony [ROTATION]
    24. Numb (Chester's pre-recorded live vocals)

There are just my ideas of these mash-ups (it looks strange but I think Mike can do this, we've already seen what he did with Fort Minor set), they could be completely different - I just wanted to throw in some good rap verses there. And I know there are a lot of rotation slots but I thought that I wouldn't have much options with Mike as a lead singer but it turned out a little bit different so that's why. I just don't know if Mike can handle 23 songs. It can be a little bit too long without Chester. I would drop It's Goin' Down/High Voltage rotation slot and one of the mash-ups then... Of course there are some tributes for Chester and I hope they'll bring in something like this to the setlist if they'll continue with Mike as a lead singer. Start the show with Chester and end with him. That would be beatiful, in my opinion.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

01. Cure for the Itch / Session Mashup (Remix the Session part and add in the full band)
    02. It's Goin Down (Mike plays Chesters guitar part)
    03. Good Goodbye (Mike V1 and V2 only, Gang Vocals on entire chorus)
    04. High Voltage (2001/2015 version mashup)
    05. Robot Boy (2014 version, let Mike take a breath)
    06. Invisible
    07. Devils Drop (2015 FM Version)
    08. Shadow of the Day / What I've Done / Iridescent (Medley, Piano Versions, whole band sings Iridescent part)
    09. Leave out all the Rest (2017 version, Mike singing verses, Mike + Phoenix singing choruses, transition outro)
    10. Roads Untraveled (Phoenix singing Chesters chorus part)
    11. Blackout (2014 Instrumental Version, let Mike take a breath)
    12. All for Nothing / No Roads Left (Mashup)
    13. Papercut (Studio version, Phoenix singing last chorus with Mike + Chesters verse parts)
    14. Rebellion (Intro+V1+V2+Final chorus 2x)
    15. Joe Solo (New version)
    16. Points of Authority [New Version](Intro+V1+New Instrumental Part+V2+New Instrumental Part+2008 Extended outro)
    17. Skin to Bone (Studio version, Phoenix singing Chesters part)
    18. Sorry for Now (Studio version, Phoenix "rapping" Chesters part, transition outro)
    19. Dancer (Instrumental, let Mike take a breath, transition outro)
    20. Numb (Mike singing verses, audience singing choruses, instrumental bridge)
    --Encore 1--
    21. Welcome (Studio, transition outro)
    22. Where'd You Go (V1+V2+V3 Only)
    22. Hands Held High (transition outro)
    23. One More Light (Mike Singing, extended intro)
    --Encore 2--
    24. Faint (Shortened, New Intro, V1+Instrumental Chorus+V2+Instrumental Bridge+Extended Outro)
    25. In The End (Studio, audience singing Chesters part)
    26. Bleed It Out (Demo bridge, Drum solo, extended outro w/ sing-along)

I mean ... it could work. Looking at it, the most implausible thing I see is that it's 26 songs. But I would be more than happy if I saw the 5 of them with this setlist. Felt weird excluding so many classic live songs, but Chester is really needed for them. I wanted to throw in a APFMH/Forgotten mashup but I don't think it would work.

If anything needs to be cut I would probably get rid of the "All for Nothing / No Roads Left" mashup and the "Welcome" and "Where'd You Go" slot

crashandburn24

I spent a lot of time thinking about the setlist. One thing I know for sure is that if they move forward I know mike is capable of pulling it off. We saw this with the Fort Minor shows in 2015 when he performed solo with the mashups and new remixes. As for the band I bet if they do continue performing they will push themselves even more such as helping out with vocals live and what not. Also, some of these songs, "pushing me away" "shadow of the day" to name a couple do have the potential to be sung by Mike possibly. It's hard to tell but it's nice to know there is hope still for the band.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

You know, since Chester died I've thought that the only way Linkin Park could truly continue forward is by adding a lead vocalist. Whether it was full time, or on a tour-by-tour basis, I figured so much of the catalog relies on things Chester could do that Mike just can't (specifically the aggressive/scream-y stuff) that they wouldn't be able to put together a full setlist that wasn't just a bunch of Mike-centric deep cuts that casual fans wouldn't be excited to hear live.

But after seeing this thread and going through the tracklists...I think it could be doable as a 5 person band. Mike's singing vocals have improved a lot (if Mike can nail Invisible live, and he can, it opens up a lot of possibilities), and there's always the fan singalong stuff that they already did a lot of. I came up with 18 songs I thought were a realistic possibility:

Papercut
    One Step Closer (fans: "everything you say to me/I need a little room to breathe," bridge)
    In The End (fans: chorus, bridge)
    Faint (fans: chorus, Mike joining in on "I won't be ignored" as usual, bridge)
    Numb (stripped/quiet)
    Bleed It Out (fans: bridge)
    Leave Out All The Rest
    Shadow Of The Day
    The Little Things Give You Away
    Burning In The Skies
    Castle Of Glass
    Skin To Bone (original or recharged)
    Mark The Graves*
    Invisible
    Sorry For Now
    Dedicated
    High Voltage
    Step Up

They could always throw in a couple of Fort Minor songs, and add a little something here or there to the "hit" songs that might be lacking without Chester (like a guitar solo in Faint, which they've done before). Some creative mash-ups, and we're definitely at ~20 songs.

For the first time, I'm actually optimistic the band could continue.

Mkvx likes this.
    dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

Damn. I will so much miss the moment when Chester and Mike came together during the Papercut bridge :cry:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    crashandburn24

It's obvious a lot of fan favorites / classics / singles would be cut but anything is possible. Also, if they were to make a new album then that would only help their cause due to more material being performed as a 5 piece. In the mean time though, they still have an opportunity to put on one hell of a show.

Mkvx and Knt.Slbs like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Am I the only one who think that it's a missed opportunity that they haven't release a decent LIVE DVD Album since 2008? I mean, now that Chaz is gone, is it too late for the label not putting and giving the band enough attention? If they're planning somehow this time around, I hope it would be a perfect tribute to Chester before moving to the next album cycle. Just release it in blu ray, though. DVD is outdated.

Iopia likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I took to shoutbox a while back and complained about the same thing, there are like no solid live versions of anything from Living Things anywhere out there and barely of anything from ATS and Hunting Party. I remember thinking a lot of OML that they played live sounded better than the studio versions as well, and wondered if they did live recordings of them how different/better the songs might sound, given that a lot of elements seemed to be buried in production.

For a band that had been constantly credited as a very good live act throughout their career, the lack of solid, polished (as in Live in Texas-style, not "whatever we have laying around for an LPU sampler"...) live versions of their material was noticeable for years.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Knt.Slbs

What would be the reason behind that? It seems the label doesn't care at all. It's just weird for me because it's almost 10 years since Road To Revolution and that's the only decent LIVE album in recent memory. I'm not counting the ATS+ Madrid EMA performance, LT Berlin show, THP Mexico performance.

hannalily

hannalily Member

i'm sure during the live the crowd will sing Chester's part with all their heart and LP can use playback for those parts too.
    imo, Mike also can handle Road Untraveled alone tho it would be 100000x sadder to see him singing that song by himself:cry:

Mkvx likes this.
    hannalily

hannalily Member

MTE! who going to put their hand on Mike's back because all of them holding their instruments :cry:

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Can Phoenix actually sing?

crashandburn24

I think given the circumstances it would be more of a possibility if the band decides to continue forward to push himself. With backing vocals on a few songs most notibaly being TLTGYA, I could see him singing more.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Knt.Slbs

Mike and Phoenix harmonising would be the best thing to do, and in fact, I'm all down for a new direction, revamped LINKIN PARK. It's time to get mature, forget the commercial success and forget worrying about the risk of album not being marketable. Just make awesome, inspiring album for Chester. make it more organic-driven record.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

1.) Papercut- Mike does everything
    2.) Lies Greed Missery- verses only
    3.) Ph5ing Me Away
    4.) When They Come For Me
    5.) Sorry For Now
    6.) Leave Out All the Rest- Mike version
    7.) Numb- Mike vocals
    8.) Rebellion- No bridge vocals
    9.) Lost In the Echo- Mike does everything
    10.) Until It Breaks- Brad sings Chester's parts
    11.) From the Inside- Crowd vocals during Chester's part
    12.) What I've Done- Mike vocals
    13.) In Between
    14) Somewhere I Belong- Mike does everything
    14.) Invisible
    15.) Hands Held High- Studio Version
    16.) Good Goodbye- Mike does everything
    17.) Waiting For the End- Mike does everything
    18.) Welcome
    19.) A Place For My Head- Crowd vocals during Chester's part

Encore:
    20.) One More Light- Mike vocals; Chester tribute; Mike and Brad acoustic; rest of band off stage
    21.) Faint- Crowd sings chorus
    22.) High Voltage
    23.) Points of Authority- Mike does everything
    24) In The End- Mike does everything
    25) Bleed It Out- Mike does everything

MS2003

MS2003 Active Member

I think it should be better bring some old stuff like Xero

1.) Joe Hahn Solo (Cure for the itch/Session)
    2.) Papercut
    3.) Bleed it Out
    4.) Lost in The Echo
    5.) Battle Symphony
    6.) All For Nothing
    7.) Faint
    8.) Somewhere i Belong - crowd sings chesters part
    9.) A Place for My Head - Till break
    10.) Breaking The Habit - Mike on vocals
    11.) Be Yourself - Interlude
    12.) In The End - crowd sings chesters part
    13.) New Divide (mike vocals)
    14.) What i've done
    15.) Reading My Eyes
    16.) High Voltage
    17.) Good Goodbye - Mike sings all
    18.) Step Up / Nobody Listening / Its Goin Down
    19.) Wretches and Kings ( Mike's second verse only)
    20.) Skin to Bone
    21.) Rebellion
    22.) One Step Closer - instrumental (extended outro)
    23.) Numb - (Mike sings and crowd helps)