It's just starting to kick in how I took the Linkin Park experience for granted

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by kcg, Sep 6, 2017.

kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

I didn't think a lot about it over the last seven weeks, but I'm just starting to have that disheartening feeling how I not only lost someone I looked up to and admired, but I now realize I took for granted the opportunity to really connect with the fan community when it mattered the most and when the band was really at their creative peak. For the longest time, I've not only lacked the courage to interact with others in real life, but I've never even felt comfortable talking to people on social media. My learning disability has impaired my social skills both in the real world and online. The Linkin Park fan community is no exception.

There were so many opportunities over the years to form friendships with fellow Linkin Park soldiers that I let slip away over my frustrations with everything in my personal life. I allowed my negative social experiences in school and in my family to stop me from trying to interact with anyone or find friends, and during the A Thousand Suns and Living Things era, I believe the band was at their peak creatively and morale-wise, Chester seemed to be at his peak in his life, and the fan community seemed to be the most lively and fun, despite the elitist mentality of some of the users. There were so many exciting social opportunities (not just going to concerts) I missed out on and I had the mindset of 'I can't do it now, I'll just wait for another time', but it wasn't until this year and during Chester's downward spiral into suicide that I finally started to interact with the community more. Why didn't I start connecting with people more when it really meant something and there was so much in the band's future to look forward to? I'm not even that upset anymore about the fact that I'll never get to see Chester perform live or meet him in person, but the fact that I threw away the chance to be a part of the fan community when the band was full together is really eating at me. I beat myself up enough over the social opportunities I missed in grade school and college, but now I've got something else to hate myself over.

Not sure if all this rambling is making any sense to any of you, but I said something similar to this about a month ago: just for once I wish I could be a part of the ride on an artist's musical journey while it's still going on and not when someone dies or the band is in the final stage of their career. I know Linkin Park will go on without Chester just like Alice In Chains went on without Layne, but it won't have the exciting and inspiring feeling that it used to. Had I been a part of the Linkin Park community's journey, I wouldn't feel as empty over Chester's death and I could look back on his life with great memories and feeling thankful that I got to be a part of something wonderful. Instead, all I feel is regret, emptiness, and heartbreak.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    AndreyKamensky likes this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

It's not over. I've made more LP friends after Chester's death and have some friends that I play LP songs with now for fun. We're all still here as we always will be!

angi_LP

angi_LP Member

@kcg
    I understand totally what you mean. I feel the same. I hate that I haven't had the courage to be a part of this great community and to get to know new people / friends during the main season of Linkin Park.

The last seven weeks were and are very hard for me ... I just can not handle it that I have not managed to meet Chester personally and experience the band live and I will never get the opportunity again ...

I have always thought I have enough time to do it all ... but since Chester's death, I am really aware that nothing what's important to you can wait... and that makes it even worse for me..

I feel empty and broken, I hate myself and my life and regret my inaction.

I'm sorry if my english is bad, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The thing about the Linkin Park community, is that it isn't going to go anywhere. Even without Chester, we will still love this band, still have our community and will continue to support Linkin Park in everything that they do. And even though any potential new albums may not have Chester on vocals, we have seven fantastic albums with him (and many EPs/Remix albums) that we'll still definitely be discussing on these forums for years to come.

So in short, whether you joined us years ago, or only arrived recently...we're always going to be here :). And you're just as welcome now as you would've been then. Thanks for being a part of the LPA community!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's basically nothing more than an accident that, at that particular point in time, some of us were "taking the LP experience for granted" and others weren't. We were, and still are, all at different points on different paths in our lives, and that's nothing to be guilty about.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    AndreyKamensky and Captain-EO like this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This. Tony nailed it. We had no way of knowing our time with Chester would be limited. Nobody (not even Talinda) saw this coming. Hell, even I thought we'd have another album (or two, or three, or four) with Chester after OML. And even then, I felt the band would retire and Chester would do solo records. Chester passing away is a reality NONE of us ever anticipated.

AmbienTisCool likes this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

I thought LP was going to make music until I'm at least eligible for AARP (I'm currently 36). But like @Supreme Overlord said, none of us saw Chester's untimely passing coming.

I've listened to the band since 2000 and just joined LPA about two months ago. I'd like to believe that my affinity for Mike, Chester, and crew has grown even after Black Thursday. It hurts like a million punches to the gut Chaz is no longer here, but I can't wait to see what LP has up its sleeve(s). Seems like they're open to carrying on as a quintet.

AmbienTisCool likes this.
    AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

Gotta admit I feel the same. But it's normal you know... we all have our lives and things to take care ofm so LP wasn't always a top priority for some of us I guess. Like Chester said - "you don't know what you've got
    Until it's gone".
    Chester was truly one of a kind.
    I only hope he's in a good place now.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

If anything, it will be more inspiring to see the band continue and overcome such a huge obstacle.

AmbienTisCool and StrictlyJohnD like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

Couldn't agree more. I hope Chester appears to each of his surviving bandmates and is like, "Don't quit the band or I'll haunt you forever!"

In all seriousness, there's nothing we can really do with LP's ultimate decision. If they push forward as five, cool. But if they call it a career, cool as well.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Linkin park are gonna continue

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

LP needs a powerful voice. Someone who is versatile like Chester, though. I know it's hard to find like him because he was irreplaceable. My guess would be 1 album with all Mike's vocals and with some vocal collaborations then after that an album with the new lead singer. They need that to continue the band for more years to come. I don't want the band to end. The journey must continue.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Personally, I really don't think this will be the last of LP, Kent. Hang on. :)

insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Sorry to bump but as I previously discussed it hit me how I took the band for granted, and Supreme Overload and Mintueforce nailed it.

Soumya Suman

Soumya Suman New Member

I totally took them for graanted. Now all I'm left with is regret.