The guys need a new singer

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Should they find a new singer?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No. They should continue as a 5-piece

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. No matter what they do, they are done

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

If they really want to continue and carry on as 5-piece band, then they should limit their focus on relying too much on Mike and Brad in songwriting department and production, let the whole band members contribute and jam as a band, record as a band. That's the reason why I really appreciate MTM and THP more because the other band members are heavily involved in the process.
    Other thing is that, they need an external producer this time around. I know Mike and Brad are great producers but the band needs a new vision post-Chester era Linkin Park.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I don't think it really has to be or at least the band shouldn't worry about living up to what they created with Chester, but rather focus on whatever comes naturally as they reinvent themselves as a nearly two-decade-old band. Honestly, even if that means their music doesn't chart as high and the crowds aren't as big. They'll never recreate the experiences Chester provided, but they can create new ones. I think given the circumstances fans will be more open-minded than they have been in the past.

I also think the band should bring in a new producer or even Rick Rubin again moving forward. They brought in other songwriters for OML to provide them with outside perspectives, I think they should do the same with a producer.

Chris loves LP likes this.
    insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

I really feel they shouldn't continue. I remember us having a debate about this around the time of LT, and someone summed it up as basically Mike & Chester being 2 parts of the creative puzzle or something along those lines. And we all agreed. I feel it's not LP without Chester or Mike. You can't replace them even if you have all the talent in the world it's not Linkin Park. Again DON'T try to replace him please. He's one of a kind.

What was the thing that (basically) started LP? Mike. What was the missing ingredient when they were Xero was getting rejected? Chester.

They could carry on as a different band, but that won't work I fear as people will likely say things like "they're trying their best but without Bennington..." or "New band or no, it's clearly just a bad Bennington-less copy of Linkin Park" Saying that any Beatles fans would be handy to talk to here.

Part of me wants them to continue, most of me (like 90%) doesn't and yes that make me selfish as it's their livelihood.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

Looking at the votes, we have a pretty clear consensus. This makes me sad.

I agree with the opinion that it's very hard or even impossible to find a new singer of Chester's caliber.
    However, I totally disagree with those who imply that all the memories and experiences with Chester would be thrown out by having a new singer. How could they be?

The thing is, Chester is already gone. As awful as it sounds, replacing him does not mean removing him from the band, since it already happened. As nobody can change that, the main focus should be the quality of future music, and the quality of live shows. For all previous albums, Mike could experiment with just about any kind of music, which is one of the main reasons I love the band. If it's only Mike from now on, the possibilities are very limited.

With that said, I'm not saying that they should find someone new at all costs, and it's possible that they won't find anyone suitable (if they even try). But I don't see any reason to be closed-minded either.

annie and Michele like this.
    Knt.Slbs

I hope if Mike taking over the lead, creativity should not be compromised in favor for radio-friendly material. I know that's tough for them to market songs that are heavily experimental but we have to look back on the success of Waiting for the end had offer, experimental but radio-friendly at the same time.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I agree with all you said, but mostly with the part of there being no reason to be close-minded. People should still give them a listen, no matter what can happen. I don't have a final answer to the question because Chester is irreplaceable and the old memories will always be there, but we also don't know how Linkin Park would sound with a new singer or as a 5-piece. With that said, the only way to decide about it would be hearing the band as a 5-piece and with a new singer, but that is not likely to happen as it makes more sense for them to choose one of the options. So, I guess I'll have to wait and see what they decide and have an open mind to give it a shot as I've always done with their music.

Michele likes this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Totally split on this idea to be honest.

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Here's the thing. If they wanna keep selling out arenas and stadiums, they will need someone who can draw the crowd in. Someone who can instill faith into the fandom that he will do the old songs justice.
    But achieving that is almost impossible at this point. But LINKIN PARK is more than just a band at this stage. They are a business and I'm sure this is gonna be an option they might go for.

Aside from this, I can see the guys just doing shows, not worrying about the money it brings in and having guest vocalists come in every now and then. But I feel these shows wont happen that often.

This is a very sensitive topic at the moment since we have no absolute clue as to what they will go for.

Chris loves LP likes this.
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Called it already. Oli Sykes will be their new singer.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I don't think so! he has his own successful band with a huge fanbase, and they currently working on their next album. I only can imagine him be a guest live singer for some shows.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

If they are hoping to continue with a new singer it has to be one that can do well on older songs (the hardest part of it all), but also with a singer who is willing to devote his time almost entirely to the band and be able to have a close relationship with all other band members, not like Chester did, but as much as he can. A singer with other bands would be a bad option for all of this.

Sasuke likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Sure, but if the band that inspired you to become a musician calls up and says "hey, we want you to be our new singer" I'm pretty sure he'd make the time. Chester/LP are the reason Oli started a band. He became inspired to make it his career after seeing LP at Download.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

This. Remember Chester in Stone Temple Pilots?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I don't see that happening, and should it happening I don't see that going over well at all.

Captain-EO and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Even if they continue as 5-piece or with a new singer, critics and casual fans will continue to criticise the band no matter how good the album/songs they make in the future.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

That's very narrow minded. Mike can't scream, but there's no reason why the band would be "limited" by his vocals.

No Roads Left
    Rebellion
    Castle of Glass
    When They Come For Me
    Sorry For Now
    High Voltage

None of those songs sound alike. And apart from the bridge in Rebellion, Mike could equal Chester's performance in all circumstances.

Sasuke and Avo like this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Let's be real, Mike doesn't have the vocal chops to pull of a big chunk of the songs in their discography. So going forward as a five piece band is sorta out of the equation. Getting guest vocals doesn't have enough leg for it to become a long term thing. The only two realistic options imo are either disbanding OR getting a new vocalist.

If it's the latter, then for the rest of their career they will have to listen to a segment of the fanbase bitch and moan about it. There's no easy solution to this.

After a little thought, I kinda wouldn't mind it if they get a new vocalist if it means the quality of their music improves. I personally am not a fan of majority of what LP did post-ATS. I'd like to see how the rest of the guys play off of a talented musician and who knows, maybe it will improve the band's sound/writing as a whole. I'll take that any day over disbandment.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

You forget It Goes Through! it even has sustained falsetto, something that Chester has never done before.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

yeah thats the thing.

Mike cant pull most of Chesters parts, because its not his range or w/e. They atleast need a new singer for live performances imo.

annie and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Fathom

Fathom Well-Known Member

I always thought Alex McMillan from Razor Red Noise (im sure some of you have heard his music) could capture a tiny bit of Chester if he were to join the band. While Alex has a similar sound and range to Chester he does sing differently. If he or someone else were to join the band I would support the decision I just would hope the new singer doesn't try to just replicate Chester but instead brings there own ... lets call it flavor to the song. Anyway here is an example of what Alex could bring to the table.

Sasuke and Hybrid like this.