Linkin Park Officially Cancel Japan Tour Dates and Release Statement

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Oct 4, 2017.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

As expected Linkin Park have today officially cancelled the Japan tour dates they had originally scheduled for Tokyo in November of this year. The band were set to play shows with ONE OK ROCK and since Chester's passing there has been no official word until now. As expected the dates have now been cancelled with refunds available to those who purchased tickets. Read Linkin Park's statement below.

To our wonderful fans in Japan and our brothers in ONE OK ROCK:

We have been looking forward to being with all of you, but unfortunately cannot play our previously scheduled performances in Tokyo. Until now, we have not communicated about our November shows because we sincerely wished to play, even in the wake of Chester's passing. We are working each day to grieve, heal, and work towards stepping on stage together without our dear friend. We are so grateful for your love and support. Our sincere appreciation for your kind understanding.

- LINKIN PARK

Ticket holders can seek refund information at www.hipjpn.co.jp. Ticket refunds will be processed starting on October 5th @ 10:00AM (JST).
    Source: Linkin Park

AndreyKamensky, Nicholas and Kevin like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I think this is it. OML cycle has ended.

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

That should've been a given already.

I mean, did anyone honestly believe the band would go on and finish off the remaining tour dates?

annie and Sasuke like this.
    Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

I had an eyebrow raised (just strictly out of curiosity, nothing negative) that the November dates for Japan were left up on their official website, while all others were removed. I was at a point where I was considering a very expensive flight to Japan to attend, thinking it would be the first time performing without Chester, and I had to be there for it. This was before they announced the tribute show on October 27th. (and even then, I'm not sure how much the 5 will perform as just those 5, without inclusion from the guests on the tab).

I guess I can finally put away that crazy idea of flying to Japan. This was expected and it's good to know and confirm it. Because I was still considering a flight from LA to Japan at the end of the month...

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

because we all assumed that the band could bring in some guest vocalist for the 3 remaining shows.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yes, because the band themselves wanted to. They're just not ready yet, and that's totally understandable and respectable. The very fact they're even doing this memorial concert is admirable. Nobody expected the band would be able to get on the stage that soon, and I know Oct 27th is going to be a very emotional night.

But there's hope in that statement. The band is showing that one day they'll carry on the torch for Chester. That we haven't seen the last of them. And I know somewhere, Chester is smiling at that fact. He loved Linkin Park, and especially his brothers in the band, and his fans. Chester would be proud that they're trying and proud they want to one day tour again.

They'll just need time and healing to get there, and I think I speak for everyone when I say: take all the time you need. I'll be there to mourn and celebrate his life on the 27th, and after that? I'll be here for them every step of the way.

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

I was surprised that up to this point, the Japan leg was left up in the air. But it's no surprise the guys decided to cancel it too.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I would've thought it strange if they continued the tour without Chester tbh.

annie and StrictlyJohnD like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

Exactly. I remember when they canceled the North American leg but left the Japan leg alone I had this confused look on my face.

Lotus likes this.
    snowblue

snowblue You know the blue snow?

This actually makes me happy. It shows that the boys are willing to keep on rocking (even though the time is not now).

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I said this on reddit, but I felt I should say it here too:

I just find their strength in wanting to carry on as a band absolutely admirable. I mean here we have a band that has performed with the same lead vocalist for close to twenty years. They weren't some brand new flash in the pan band that only put out one album, and could easily get another vocalist because they weren't well known. No, this is the largest rock band of the younger generation and they just lost the vocalist they've toured the world with for two decades. I have nothing but respect and pure admiration for how strong they are being in the wake of this tragedy, and for their determination to carry on...even though right now it feels impossible.

They may not realize it, but by being this strong...they're not just helping themselves heal, they're helping us too. I'll always want Chester back and to have a future LP album have his vocals, but their passion to continue in his memory makes me all the more determined to support them and be there for them for the next chapter. This band is family, and I'll never give up on my family.

darkviruz likes this.
    iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they're even doing the October 27th show to be honest.

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Yeah I know the band wanted to. But given just how close those guys were (something I so humbly admired about LP), they wouldn't have been able to. I'm sure a year from now, we might see them back on stage. But November is just way too close. I know Mike and all are healing well and seem to be getting more active but getting back on stage without Chester would be such a different fight altogether. Just imagine, they've been doing that for almost 19 years now with Chester and now all of a sudden he is no longer there. 3-4 months is definitely not enough to move past that.
    The October show will be their first true hurdle and I truly believe that the real decision on what happens to LP will be taken after that, even tho they've been saying they are trying to move past it and carry on. But if the show this month gets too hard for them, I don't see them coming back anytime soon (as hard as that can be to grasp for many).

Just imagining how we will never see Mike and Chester thank the crowd together with their arms around each other is in itself such a hard thing to grasp, as a fan.

annie and Alexrednex like this.
    Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

This. In the current situation, the reaction of Mike and the rest of the band is incredibly important. This was an extremely traumatic event for a lot of us, and I think a lot of people feel lost at the moment. The band is showing us how to stay strong at the darkest times, and I'm very glad that they are organizing the LA event. Knowing how I feel about Chester's death I can't even imagine what they are going through. And yet, they are doing this event. At the same time, I'm not that surprised, because this is typical of the Mike Shinoda I admire so much.

MarcusArelius

MarcusArelius Well-Known Member

Agreed....I think you can see it in Mike's eyes from recent pictures that he's really battling this, as is natural. It's crazy how we're saying "how can the band perform on the 27th", when just 2 months ago, LP was set to play months worth of concerts. The show on the 27th is going to be emotional and I don't know how Mike is going to sing or rap one note, don't know how Rob is going to be able to play the drums, and as vocal on social media as Phoenix has been, well.....don't see how its possible for him or the other guys for that matter. I guess that's why they have so many guests. You add this to what happened in Vegas.....it's just going to be an emotionally weird, but great way to honor our respect for this band, the LP community, and most importantly...for Chester.

annie and iamsatan like this.
    AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

No surprise here. It was kinda obvious... and it's understandable of course.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I was surprised when they didn't cancel those shows when the North American leg of the tour was cancelled shorty after the terrible news of Chester's passing. At that time I thought the band would want to play because they probably thought there would be enough time for them come to terms with their grief, but of course these things take time and it will be very hard if not impossible to heal completely and what they need to do is finding the best way to move forward as a band while honoring his name in everything they may do in the future. With that said and knowing that it would be very hard to play the shows without Chester, it was expectable that the shows would be cancelled sooner or later.