'One More Light' Fan Lyric Video Released by Linkin Park

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Oct 3, 2017.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Today Linkin Park have released a One More Light lyric video made from footage captured by fans. The video edited by Nicola Drilling follows the release of the official One More Light music video that was released last month. One More Light is the new single from Linkin Park and you can watch the lyric video below.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Hm, the intention was very nice. Surprises me that the band actually posted it on their official channel, because it's looks a little cheap. But hey, congratulations to who had the idea to made this. Any kind of tribute is welcomed...

darkviruz

darkviruz Well-Known Member

I am so proud of everyone who has participated in the video. It shows how much we love the band:thumbsup:

AndreyKamensky, KonKeR-182 and Sasuke like this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:cry:

AndreyKamensky likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

Saddening and beautiful at the same time. Another outpouting of love and support from Linkin Park fans.

KonKeR-182

KonKeR-182 excuse me for my plastic taste

The amount of love being outpoured is so uplifting, especially in the darkest times like this.

darkviruz and LP Soldier 01 like this.
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Well it WAS made by fans. The band just felt that it was SO well done, that it has been classified as an official one.

Joh, Sasuke and Modern Guitar God like this.
    insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Well either my laptop is haunted or Chester is alive in all of us. I just watched the new OML lyric video and I swear after closing down the tab with the YouTube video of the lyric video just now and making sure the disc drive on my laptop is open and not playing and the media player closed, the song OML is still playing on my laptop, I swear I triple checked, the only tab I have open is this forum, I closed down the YouTube one, pressed the "x", literally the one and only tab open is this one. I was listening to OML CD but closed my media and pressed the button to open the CD tray and so it couldn't possibly be playing, and I absolutely didn't have any other windows open at all, and yet the whole song OML played.

That's a sign. I do too Chester. The lyric video is great and had I known it was being made I would've contributed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

IIRC it was made BEFORE Chester passed and it was one of that thing where all LP Street Soldiers are asked to contribute

Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

I don't love that this has become official. It'd be different if fans around the world were invited to participate. This was an idea of somebody who kept participation to a group of a few, likely people who already knew each other. It'd be fine if it was just acknowledged, liked on Twitter, RT'd, etc but to make it official, I dunno. That being said, I can see why they did this. It's fairly well done for a group of fans and non professionals.

I also don't like that she smiles at the end. Whether this was made before or after the passing of Chester, this song was always about the passing of somebody. The lyrics indicate as such even if you didn't know the original story behind it. The album is loaded with uplifting content, but this song wasn't among that.

And yes, I admit it, I'm being too critical. I have my reasons. No, it's not jealousy that I didn't get to be in it. I'm sure some will think so, but that's fine.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Technically the song, while somber...is meant to lift people up. It's meant to tell those who have lost someone that even if they may feel like nobody cares about the loss of their loved one, that they (as in the band) "do". It's a song meant to lift up those who are mourning, despite it's depressive lyrics and somber feel/sound.

So I feel the smile at the end is appropriate. It's telling people that it'll be okay, and that we have eachother to lean on during this time. Do I agree that this project should've been made more open to the entire fanbase, and not kept to the circle of fans who knew about it? Yes. But the band wasn't intending to make this song a single, let alone do a lyric video for it. Chester's passing influenced the band to release a video/single after fans made it the 'official' memorial song for Chester. The band, seeing the lyric video, were touched and decided to upload it on their official channel. Mike even acknowledged in an interview a week or so ago that the lyric video wasn't perfect, and has some 'mistakes', but they decided to leave it as it was because of the message behind it.

So while I get your points and understand where you're coming from, I also disagree with some of them for the reasons listed above.

@LP2K12 and Iopia like this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

That's how I feel about most LP songs now, uplifting, but at the same time they've become very somber since Chester's passing.
    As to the lyric video what is to be valued is mostly the outpouring of love and support from the fans and in that sense it's already perfect for what it means.

AndreyKamensky likes this.
    AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

LP fans are the best. It's amazing how close this community and fans around the world have become since Chester's passing. Chester must be proud. :)

Meteorain

That's an interesting take, and thank you for providing it. That's not really the interpretation I get, but hey nobody's really wrong or right with things like this (unless maybe we got to ask the band directly how they meant for the song to be interpreted) but more importantly, your take got me to listen to it while specifically having your take in mind, and I do see where you're coming from with it. I can see what you feel is the uplifting touch to it.

To me though, I think it's intended to be sad, and since that's my primary mindset on it, I think about how I think that's okay. Okay in the sense that it's alright sometimes to just have a song that's just sad, without an uplifting touch or element to it. I actually feel like sometimes we need that. Sometimes it's almost cathartic and something to get behind when you're feeling down. I'm not suggesting the band doesn't care when somebody out there, perhaps a loved one of a fan, passes away, not at all would I ever suggest that when I've seen what kind of people these guys are, and how big their hearts are. I have no doubt in my mind that if a fan discussed with them losing somebody important to them, their hearts would genuinely hurt right along with said fan. I just don't really get behind that having been their intended message.

I feel like the smile at the end would be more fitting if there was more talk about getting through/past the dark days, about eventually finding a way to move on or carry on, etc. But instead, I feel the songs focus stays on the feeling of the right now. How hard it is, and how much it hurts. I don't feel like it shifts at any point in the song to any idea or feeling of persevering, or healing from it. That's why I feel like it's intended to be sad, and well, kind of just stay sad.

The way I see it is more of the personal experience, dealing with the loss of a loved one close to them specifically (in this case the friend and colleague who passed away, who they originally wrote this for) in the sense that when they pass away, life just seems to go on immediately for the world around them and their inner circle who were personally connected to this woman. Which of course is fair, not everybody knew her, but it can be a little tough when your world takes a hard hit, and you can look around you and see others laughing that very same day of the passing. That very same minute that you hear the news. People joking around like nothing has happened, because to them, nothing has happened. So to the vast majority of the world, another light has gone out, and that's it. People die everyday, and while nobody (or at least nobody with a heart) is going to be happy about it if they heard somebody died, they're also not going to spend much time thinking about it or having it affect them if they didn't know them.

So I think it was more just... nobody (or very few people, compared to a world scale) cares, but I do, and I'm still somebody. Nobody else will notice that another one of a million (actually, few billion) stars in the sky is extinguished, but I will notice. Somebody's time has run out, that's part of life, life goes on... that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt me, or that I'm just going to move on along with the masses. I feel it pertains to the band experiencing it themselves, as many of their songs have been about, and what they draw from for so much of their best work.

Even the anguish in the lead-up to the final chorus, that in the studio version is kind of washed out but when he performed it live, he would somewhat belt it out, I feel like that's a symbol of agony from personally experiencing losing somebody close to him.

.....you probably got my point a while ago, like halfway through this post, and I kind of just kept talking about it. My bad.

P.S. After typing all of this up, I gave the song one more full listen (despite having heard this song probably a couple thousand times since its release already) just wanting to ensure my response was as pure and thought-out as possible, before I even hit "Post Reply"

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

For me it works so well because it feels 'cheap'. The lack of polish makes it feel more intimate and personal to me.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Are we really criticizing a fan tribute to Chester

darkviruz and @LP2K12 like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

It was hard keeping my feels from taking over while watching it. For me personally, OML is my "Tears In Heaven".

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Meteorain

Certain things about it as a whole, yeah, a bit, and I know that's a little harsh but I have my reasons. However, I'm not directing any criticism at all towards how well it is or isn't put together, any lack of polish, production quality, etc. I actually think for a group of non professionals it's fairly well done. And I agree that actually adds to the effect of it being a fan tribute, as somebody mentioned it makes it feel more intimate.