Nobody Can Save Me Lyrics adjustment

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Vinifeijo, Jan 14, 2018.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

"I'm hanging off the edge"

A little bit dark, isn't it? This line always strikes me very hard. It went from metaphorical to literal.

Do you guys think it should be changed for now being so deeply dark? Or kept as it is, a real reminder of everything that happened?!

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

They played BIO with the "find a new place to hang this noose / [...] / knot it tight so I won't get loose" line at the tribute show, I doubt any changes will be made. These are words Chester sang for all of us to hear and they should stay that way. It never meant to be this way.

Vinifeijo and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

To me, that just paints a picture of someone teetering at the edge of a cliff. Perhaps into the abyss if we're getting really wild.

In other words, I've never even considered those lyrics an issue.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So to me, that line is about coming to terms with yourself. Knowing that things are fucked up. Perhaps after breaking down and learning that the only person who will rebuild you is, well, you. That is what I got out of what "Nobody Can Save Me" is lyrically about. People call it dark and foreboding, but I think they are missing the point since I find it rather uplifting and motivational. You will find it a usual occurrence when someone needs help that others try to jump in since empathy and compassion work that way, but ultimately, it is up to that person to change and get through the things that are holding them down.

Telekinetic Psychologist

Telekinetic Psychologist all the souls have gone...

Precise-flippin'-ly. That stupid "OML is a suicide note" conspiracy got a lot of people giving the album a heavy, pessimist atmospherere (me from some months ago included, shame on me), when it surely is some of LP's most inspired, personal, uplifting material. I think I didn't realize the true quality and meaning of OML until I listened to the instrumentals. Without any poetic reflections to worry about, I found the album to be quite peaceful and profound, and those feelings kinda (and pardon the big word) "decyphered" the lyrics in my mind beatifully. I haven't listened to any OML track on my own since when Heavy first dropped, but I no longer get mad when my mum plays it for the whateverth time.
    I shall never regret what I'm about to say:
    One More Light is an excelent album.

Hybrid likes this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

The majority of OML is quite uplifting for me. About dealing with your struggles and wanting to become the better person. I know a lot of it is lead on by interpretation, but the songs have always been positive and uplifting for me. Nothing's changed that.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

People have to get rid of this idea that it was a goodbye letter from Chester. I understand the lyrics give off that feeling, but Chester also didn't write a big portion of this album. A lot of these songs were written by Mike, with collaborators.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Yeah it bothers me as well because it manipulates people’s perception of the album. No one planned things to happen the way they did.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Exactly. If Chester wrote all the songs, I'd entertain people wanting to look into the lyrics deeper (cause hey, I probably would too) but the fact remains that Chester barely wrote songs on the album.

Benny_

Benny_ Active Member

Heavy nobody can save me and one more light even though not written by Chester seem to be perfect songs for his mental state.....its hard to listen to those songs

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

95% of Linkin Park's discography perfectly reflects his mental state for his entire life. The only difference is nobody took the lyrical content seriously.

I honestly feel sorry for those who struggle to listen to this band's music now. I made a tribute playlist for Chester the day he passed away and I've still been listening to the band daily ever since. Their music was therapeutic before for the same reason it is now. The best way to remember Chester is by blasting his music and singing along. It's even allowed me the opportunity to appreciate their older material all over again.

CannaKippers and Kevin like this.