What #MakeChesterProud Means to Me

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by HybridTheoryLMB, Jan 27, 2018.

HybridTheoryLMB

HybridTheoryLMB New Member

I will be honest, I have avoided all things Linkin Park for months unless I was in total control of it. I've cried when Linkin Park songs came on in clubs, I've shut facebook when a news story about Chester appeared, because it was too much to deal with. I have just today watched the memorial gig on Youtube, after Mike released Post Traumatic the other day. When Chester died, it felt like hope had died with him. It has taken me a while, but I finally see how wrong that is.

Chester was always open about his mental health, and his struggles, but he still managed to be someone who prioritised peoples’ joy and wellbeing. When I met him in 2014 in London for The Hunting Party album launch, he was running late for an interview at BBC Radio One (I think?). People were trying to usher him out of the building as soon as he had finished the Q&A session, but he made time to take pictures with everyone, give out autographs and then go around the room talking to each of us personally. He wanted to talk to us, not at us, about the album; not out of some sense of ego, where he wanted to hear our compliments, but because he genuinely, earnestly wanted to see if we enjoyed it and to share that with us. That was Chester Bennington.

A man so humble I remember reading an interview where he was confused at the idea he shouldn’t wait in line at Starbucks. A man who knew the power of spreading joy to others even during times a dark cloud hung over him. A man who turned his fame into a driving force for good through charity and positivity, when he could have done nothing. A man who never took his fans for granted and wanted each person to feel acknowledged. A man that wanted us to be able to talk freely and openly about mental health.

When we think of making Chester proud, it is these ideals that we need to uphold – you don’t need to donate money or volunteer time to continue his legacy. Every time you ask a friend how they are and listen, you are making Chester proud. When you let yourself feel happy after a long struggle, or forgive yourself for making mistakes you are making Chester proud. When you give yourself a break because you feel it all starting to get too much, when you take time for self care, you are making Chester proud. When you are kind to others and kind to yourself you are making Chester proud. When you reach out to a friend for help or see a doctor, you are making Chester proud. One small action at a time, we can change the way we look at mental health, and how we all treat ourselves and others. To me, #MakeChesterProud is about hope in the midst of great darkness.

“The one thing can’t be defeated is love.”

There is no community out there like Linkin Park fans. We CAN change things.

To Chester, forever our inspiration.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Great post!

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

You're the kind of newbie we need. Bravo!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Shared this on the LPA twitter as this is brilliant.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Beautiful post. Chester has always inspired me to be a better person, and with all the wonderful stories I've heard about him after his passing, I'm even more inspired to be like the kind and humble person that he was. Chester's legacy isn't all about the music, it's also about his beautiful personality. And I think he would be very proud to know that he inspires this kind of change in people.

Nicholas, Kevin and Modern Guitar God like this.
    HybridTheoryLMB

HybridTheoryLMB New Member

Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone. It means so much, I really wasn't expecting such an amazing response!!xxx

Kevin and Hybrid like this.
    Vix

Vix New Member

Beautifully said. Thank you so much ❤️❤️❤️

Hybrid likes this.
    Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Beautiful article. I loved hearing about your story.
    I've been fortunate enough to see linkin park twice (would have been 4 but 2 were cancelled). I was able to meet Chester and the band in 2014. I remember the moment i met Chester in person, such a glowing and heartwarming personality. I remember asking him for a picture, he declined (due to time) but made it up to me during the concert. While preforming In The End, Chester recognized me from the M&G and held my hand for half the song and sang right to me. It was such an incredible moment and it made me realize how passionate Chester was to his family, friends, bandmates, and fans.

His loss shocked the world, and made me realize how personal the lyrics were. I love to share his legacy and most importantly, #MAKECHESTERPROUD

master360

master360 Well-Known Member

This is exacly how I see things now.
    Thank You for this.

AbigailWilson

AbigailWilson New Member

Best Moments When Linkin Park and Friends Make Chester Bennington Proud with Tearful Tribute Concert.

sam1232

sam1232 Member

amazing words. This is the first time i have read such huge posts beautiful :):) bravo

Kate Miller

Kate Miller Member

Thank you for your amazing post! This is worth reading.