THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS - TBA 2017

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Abel, Aug 2, 2016.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I listened to this album 3 times today lol. I’ve never even listened to their music before.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I guess I'm kind of "into" hip-hop. I mean, Drake and Weeknd do name drops all the time. For me I think my issue is with these guys coming in on rock songs and bringing that over with them. Just doesn't fit the songs, IMO. I actually kinda like the rest of ASAP's verse.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Fair enough, and I guess it is a little weird outside of the genre. A guest rap verse in a pop song can really veer into different places, for better or worse

Infinity

Infinity *

Pretty weak album. A lot of songs just don't stand out to me. I really like One Track Mind (mainly cause of the the rap bridge and following guitar solo), Love is Madness and Rider. Those are the best tracks for me. Remedy and Great Wide Open are good to, but the other songs are just average 30STM songs to me.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

I've never been a 30STM fan, I've liked a couple of their older songs here and there but they are not a band I've looked out for or cared for although I do like Jared Leto. My sister was a fan of their last album as she was always listening to it and asking me if I was aware of them. However, after listening to One Track Mind, I enjoyed what I listened to. I liked the vocals, the synths, the production, the rap section and the cool guitar solo at the end of the track. I decided to listen to Walk On Water and thought that was a pretty good track also, even if it did get repetitive.

I played One Track Mind to my girlfriend and she really liked it. She asked "have you bought this?" and I said no, I haven't. She then said "good, I'll get this for your birthday" as it's my 30th next Sunday. I really have the best girlfriend ever! Looking forward to hearing it.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Buying you an album by a band that you don't really like, but that she likes :lol:

Dekar likes this.
    Foreshadowed_LP

Nah, that was my sister that likes 30STM, not my girlfriend. She's never heard of them.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Hey, I have a question for the US-citizens here: is it common to refer to the USA as simply "America"? It's kind of confusing me as an outsider, because for me "America" includes all the states of South America and Canada, too. They're taking that to another level with this album + artwork.

Also, it seems like Tomo is not a part of their band anymore, they cut him out of all their promo shoots, etc. At least if this is their last work.

I don't really care for the album and do not plan to buy it. I don't mind that it is pop, genres don't really have a meaning to me, but this one sounds pretty bland and annoying.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

So I listened to the album out of curiosity on Spotify and it's probably the worst album since Love Lust Faith and Dreams for me. I went in hoping that Walk On Water wasn't the only good song and was pretty disappointed. It might just be my bias as a huge fan of the first three albums but I just don't feel the energy off this one and none of the tracks make me particularly excited like earlier material like Closer To The Edge, Oblivion or The Fantasy do.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yeah, they're jerks like that.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

As someone who loved his verse and also loves rap music I did find the name drop to be weird and unnecessary. Only part about the song I would change.

When a lot of people say America they are just refereeing to the USA. Usually you will hear people specify "North America" when talking about the whole continent.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Those album artwork covers are absolute garbage tbh. Some of the worst and cringiest album promotion I've ever seen.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Yeah the clean guitar riff is basically the same. also the chord progression on the chorus is really similar to Heavy.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm on the fence. On one hand, they allowed people to make their own cover via a cover generator which was a smart move in the sense people could 'personalize' their digital copy, but yeah...the cover is ugly regardless of what text is on it.

Foreshadowed_LP

I'd have to listen to the album as a whole a few more times to come to a definitive overall score but from what I've heard, I like it. One Track Mind and Love Is Madness are the standout tracks for me with the latter being so damn addictive to listen to, especially the chorus. Funnily enough, my CD copy didn't have A$AP Rocky's verse so when I went to search this there were suggestions this may have been a UK exclusive thing however, some fans in the US have stated they've purchased the CD from the 30STM website as well as their local Walmart and their version didn't have his verse either. The digital versions seem fine though so must be a random thing.

Other tracks I liked were Dangerous Night, Rescue Me, Hail To The Victor and Walk On Water. I'd have to listen to the other tracks again to see if they are on my 'great songs' list but so far, I like it! A really catchy album to listen to.