Mike Shinoda - Post Traumatic /// Out Now /// LPA Release Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MarkLP12

MarkLP12 Member

World's on Fire gives me a Robot Boy vibe every time I hear it.

2. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

My favorite songs are Lift Off, Place to Start, About You, Promises I Can't Keep. I need to listen to the album more but I have to be in a certain mood to do so.

Captain-EO, minuteforce and Michele like this.
  3. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

The album isn't charting in the Top 50. 71% of total sales are in at hitsdailydouble.com and the 50th place position is trending to sell 5,000 for the week. That would put Post Traumatic at less then 5,000 sales for the week.

4. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Its expected tbh. Fort Minor's album peaked at 51 and that was during a time when Linkin Park were at their peak.

5. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Wait, the week as in it's first week? I'd be shocked to find it moved 5,000 in its debut week. That'd be like a legitimate, monumental bombing. I'd be fucking shocked if that were the case.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

If it's really less than 5K, then that's shockingly low. The promotion for this album hasn't been lacking, reception has been very positive, and it was highly anticipated from LP fans. I wasn't expecting huge numbers especially with the crazy amount of big releases these last 2 weeks, but I didn't think this low.

Hopefully it'll have legs like The Rising Tied did.

7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Ghosts - Make it Up as I Go - Lift Off - I.O.U. has to be one of best string of songs I've heard in a long time, and its certainly the highlight of the album for me.

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

Over Again gets me every time. I love this song, but it became a problem to hear it in a public place or around other people because I just end up crying.

I really like the album, there's no song I dislike in it. I need to listen a couple more times (I've been busy watching the World Cup :p) to sort out which songs are my favorites. I'm impressed by the lyrics, they sound more complex in comparison to many LP songs? And I love the overall rawness in this album.

Post Traumatic reminded me of an album called "Fever's End" by Tablo (a Korean rapper) because it starts dark and sad and finishes with "happy" songs (more like the person being able to moving on from something terrible that happened).

I'll be listening to this album A LOT.

Alexrednex likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

The only shame with Post Traumatic selling 5k copies in the first week is that not enough people get to hear it. I doubt Mike gives a crap about the sales, this album is something he did to help deal with this whole situation.

10. Blackee Dammet

At any rate, there's no way that's accurate. It hit #4 on iTunes and iTunes is massive. Nothing that hits the top 10 of iTunes flops and streaming alone would have made up for well over 5,000 album equivalents.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  11. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Not exactly. As someone said previously, The Rising Tied peaked at 51, and that was when Linkin Park were SUPER popular. While hardcore LP fans will buy anything Mike puts out, more casual music fans will unfortunately not know who Mike is. If you say 'the rapper from Linkin Park' or 'the Fort Minor guy' they may recognize him, but essentially Mike is traveling back out into the world as a brand new artist again. All of Mike's music that he's released on YouTube so far hasn't even gotten a third of what LP videos have gotten view wise on YouTube and probably will never reach those levels. Target, Best Buy and other retailers didn't even carry the album, and FYE was the only one locally that had it. He just sadly doesn't have enough clout outside of LP yet for his name alone to drive sales.

It's sad, but it's just the way things are.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I was thinking that exact same thing

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Definitely. I'll even put Running From My Shadow there too. Tracks 10-14 is the meat of the album for me.

14. MarkLP12

MarkLP12 Member

I've been able to listen to the album a lot more lately and the songs are all growing on me. I would say the below songs have become my favorites. 7 "favorite" songs from 1 album is pretty damn impressive. Overall, there isn't a single song that I don't like.

Ghosts
    Over Again
    Crossing A Line
    Hold it Together
    Promises I Can't Keep
    Make It Up As I Go
    World's On Fire

My thoughts on the other songs:

Place to Start - arguably my favorite song, but its just way too short
    Brooding - great instrumental, but have to be in the mood for an instrumental
    Nothing Makes Sense Anymore - good chill song
    Running From My Shadow - good, but not great
    Watching As I Fall - good, but not great
    Can't Hear You Now - good, but not great
    Lift Off - solid chill rap, but have to be in the mood for it
    IOU - solid rap, but have to be in the mood for it
    About You - good song, but would have preferred if the distorted voice was only at the final chorus and not every chorus; chorus is also a bit too repetitive for my liking; reminds me of Good Goodbye, a song in which I love the raps, but the chorus is somewhat annoying lol.

15. MarkLP12

MarkLP12 Member

I actually would like to hear a censored version of the song in which they use that "sound" instead of "shit." I feel like it would sound epic and would go well with the mood of the song.

16. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

17. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Wow, it charted at #2 in Germany. That's actually a better debut than One More Light (#3)

18. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Alright so I've given the album a fair shake. I know this was an important step for Mike towards healing so I don't wanna take anything away from that. But purely from the standpoint of a listener, I have to say that the album feels very oddly distant to me.

For an album that's supposed to be about mourning and healing from the death of a close friend, I expected it to destroy me emotionally but it didn't. The lyrics feel very on-the-surface, giving no real insight into Mike's headspace. It also doesn't help that all the instrumentals are so polished and sweet to the ears. There's not too many moments where the music gets the chance to breath, because it always conforms to conventional song structures.

I was hoping there would be a few moments where vocals take a backseat and the music alone convey some of the emotions. I feel it could've done with a bit more experimentation and risk taking.

There are however songs that I dig.. Hold It Together, I.O.U., Lift Off etc are all great songs and overall this album is head and shoulders above One More Light.

19. Blackee Dammet

That was roughly what I expected. 5000 copies is something someone moves on their first mixtape...

I pretty much agree, though I think the more pop-centric shit is actually where he shines and his attempts at coming off as "credible" are cringeworthy. Lift Off sounds great, kind of reminds me of Reanimation era for whatever reason, but his lyrics are corny as fuck. Nobody should ever be outshined by MGK. He is there. Easily. Everything with a feature on it seems to be better than the stuff that doesn't, with a few exceptions.

I do think his rapping ability has deteriorated a lot over the years, which might be why I prefer the half-rap half-singing songs more.

I liked about half of it. I'd give it a strong 2.5/5, maybe closer to 2.75. It's not bad, also wasn't what I was expecting and some of the duds are bad enough to bring the entire thing down.

20. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Getting back to the sales, I honestly am surprised that subject is even being talked about, because really, who gives a shit?

For me, when the band would have a release, I would care a little bit, even with One More Light, I was like, "yeah, I hope its #1 just to shut some mouths."

With this, it never crossed my mind. I didnt care, and I still don't. This album has so much weight for Mike, myself, and all of us that it just doesn't matter.