The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

1. KarL_LewiS

KarL_LewiS Musician

Found the scratch samples, thanks for the jnfo. Also you're probably right, the more I listen to the transition it just sounds like the volume automation on the bass contributes substantially to the hugeness of it.

I managed to make a similar sounding woosh out of a loud kick drum sample reversed and duplicated too.

2. lrks

lrks New Member

Can somebody explain what the sound that appears at 0:35 is?

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

4. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Not sure. I really don't know much about the origin of any of the pad-based samples other than stuff that happens to get mentioned in the occasional interview.

5. lrks

lrks New Member

I'll try to figure it out then :/

6. lrks

lrks New Member

I was just listening to that song in train and I remembered I saw this question... The first thing that came to mind for that intro hits would be a kick layered with a clap (at least for a start) and then distortion as somebody else already mentioned and who knows what else. I'm not very experienced with the sound design so I doubt I could recreate it. If you try it and it works, please let me know.

7. TheMicrophoneMolester

TheMicrophoneMolester New Member

may be some sort of synth hit that has a fast LFO on it, that sound is isolated in the sounds folder i uploaded on LPLive tho

8. TheMicrophoneMolester

9. TheMicrophoneMolester

I see I'm very late in answering this but i learned that Mike used a Roland GAIA SH-01 synth to create the intro to Burn it Down. If you're interested, the keyboard samples used live are uploaded here https://mega.nz/#F!0YMWzayL!6SzVtKepSHJ3QLHiZhzMvQ!kdUShQZL

10. Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

That link is a gold mine! Thank you so much!

11. TheMicrophoneMolester

Hey everyone, I am just realizing that i uploaded the wrong sample files for the Burn it Down Kontakt patch. These files were recorded to loud and have clipping in them. I have uploaded the correct samples to the same folder on Mega titles GaiaOrgan (New BID) Samples. These are the actual samples Mike used to perform BURN IT DOWN live. Enjoy! :) https://mega.nz/#F!UI0zBQbb!XO9-gbjBJnj20MXozHlR-A

12. jennysgod

jennysgod New Member

Hi there! Can anyone help me to find out what is high scratch sound wth reverb in The Little Things Give You Away and how to make it? @Astat please help

Truly awesome thread!

13. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I think you could get pretty close just by pitching up a distorted drum sound. Like an 8-bit snare or something like that. Make it really high in pitch and you get that scratch. Add some reverb to taste.

14. CUTIBASS

CUTIBASS New Member

Bro... about the Drain noise ( like a drain handswater) on Crawling intro and outro
    ... how they did it?

15. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's said that Shinoda did unspeakable things in the studio bathroom to create those iconic sounds that catapulted Linkin Park to stardom and won them a Grammy Award ... :ph34r:

16. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure but I think its from a sample CD. All i know its on Joes record that has all their old samples on it

17. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It’s the sound of LP fans flushing down the toilet their ability to agree on anything :kappa:

18. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if it is. During his streams he Pretty much admited to using samples he likes more than once (strings at the end of Cure for the Itch *cough*)

Pretty sure its a chord run through a HOG pedal and then loaded into an MPC for further tweaking and playing later on. Its Pretty much like the one on Wretches

Also this isn't quite a "how did they make that Sound" but does anybody know who the kid at the end of Keys for the Kingdom is and who is speaking at the end of The Summoning?

19. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

Hey Everyone,

I know this is a super old thread, but i actually ended up finding the Runaway swirly watery effect sample and the clicks/beeps accompanying it. I've uploaded the files as well in case someone ever needs it. Thanks for all the help!

Edit: *Link Removed* (As pointed out, these were just stems of that section of the track)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  20. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Well this is more just straight from the stems than actually how it was made. We're still unsure if they're proper samples or actual synthesized sounds.

Also...it might not be the most prudent to post a link to those tracks in regard to copyright protection of LP's music as well as LPA's stance on it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020