Imagine Dragons

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by RazorEye, May 14, 2014.

1. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I couldn't listen to Evolve in one go, I stopped at song 5 because I was a bit disappointed, it sounded too generic, but hopefully I can finish listening to it and have a general opinion. Of course I have heard Believer and Thunder before trying to give a go at the album and Thunder is the standout song until now.

darkviruz likes this.
  2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Thunder is the beat song on the album by far. And honestly Believer is the 2nd best song. The rest of the album was mad dissapointing. It's a shame that this band will be a one album wonder to me when they had so much potential and I even prematurely had them in my top 10 acts of all time list.

Thank you so much for the lengthy response! I know the album is called Evolve, not sure why I said Believer :lol: I have determined that this is a show not worth going to. On top of all the Evolve songs, they play some of the worst songs from Smoke + Mirrors. I'd be more open to it if the songs they picked from S+M were actually good but Gold, Shots, and I Bet My Life are some of the worst songs they have ever made.

This just makes me so glad I saw them twice supporting Night Visions because that album will always be one of my favorite albums of all time.

3. LP Soldier 01

I remember Night Visions had 3 songs (Radioactive, On Top Of tHe World and Demons) playing nonstop on the radio here in Portugal, those songs were really good, probably a bit overrated, but good.

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

No problem haha. I'm just surprised you seem surprised about them performing Shots, Gold and I Bet My Life since they're the singles of the album. :lol: Shots still remains as one of my favorite songs from them (since it reminds me a lot of their indie album days) but agree to disagree. :)

Evolve is an album that might need some getting used to. Some like me think it's better after a few listens, while others think it's not a very good record. I do like the second half of the record better, but it's up to you haha

5. LP Soldier 01

I'll try to listen to it fully, but right now I'm too much into Avril Lavigne and Nickelback, basically the 2 artists I play for almost the whole day.

6. Blake

Thanks for reminding me that they chose awful singles for S+M :lol:

7. LP Soldier 01

I enjoyed both Night Visions and S+M. As to Evolve I only found 4 songs to be good.

The Joesen One likes this.
  8. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

ICYMI, they released a new song in a re-release (lol) of Evolve.

Dragondust likes this.
  9. Blake

How do we all feel about Origins? I think it is a huge step up from Evolve but it is still pretty bad. There's about 3 songs I will keep in rotation from this album which is more than the last album (1).

While I thought their 2nd album was decent I feel like Imagine Dragons will always go down as a one album wonder to me.

10. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

It's not that good. It's not bad, just does nothing special at all. Its just a waste of talent at this point.

The only song that really stuck out to me off the stop of my head was Burn Out, and that was a bonus track

11. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I just heard the new album and it's so bad lol. they jump from one different style to another without any connection about them, also the songwriting seems lazy as hell, there's not even one memorable song (except Natural). Evolve was way better imo.

12. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yeah it's so damn soulless, it's incredible.

brady likes this.
  13. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

When I heard Origins was releasing, I was psyched. Everything from the artwork to the album title, and even the energy found in "Natural" made me think Imagine Dragons was returning to their more organic, alternative roots after Evolve's electronic explosion, especially so soon after release. My first listen I gave the band the benefit of the doubt and thought Origins was okay but nothing special. I listened again a few days ago and was so disappointed. The album is so predictable, so derivative, so unintentionally, dreadfully boring. So many tracks suffer from uninspired lyrics, repeating the same words over and over and over again. The vocals are great, but they lack the dynamics found in previous releases.

I went back to the band's first three studio albums that same day to make sure I wasn't just being overly harsh. I still think "Radioactive" is one of the defining alternative rock songs of the past decade, and I still think Night Visions is a fantastic debut from top to bottom. Such a fresh and invigorating sound. I found Smoke + Mirrors introduced the overly bombastic Imagine Dragons as we know it, with soaring heights and mediocre lows. I even thought Evolve was originally a better pop album than One More Light until I revisited it. On second thought, it may in fact be worse than Origins.

I think Imagine Dragons is so worried about becoming momentarily irrelevant in the modern streaming era that they feel the need to release anything and everything, no matter how derivative or uninspired it may be. And I really hope they return to that mindset that made them so famous in the first place. I'm not looking for guitarz. I'm just looking for substance.

/end rant.

Nicholas likes this.
  14. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Lol, god damn guys. Y'all went IN on this album. But I completely agree. It's fucking bland.

brady likes this.
  15. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Night Visions is still one of my favorite debut albums, I haven't felt that atmosphere from them since. S+M was a decent follow up, but it's where they started to head towards that grandiose arena rock sound.

Origins sounds like a band that's trying to branch out while losing sight of what initially made them stand out in the first place. I don't want to sound too harsh, but I do think it's their most run of the mill release yet. It's an album that sounds confused of what it wants to be and ends up lacking identity. Like Evolve it suffers from uninspired melodies and repetitive songwriting, but at least Evolve felt cohesive and focused.

I can't fault a band for an honest effort and maybe this release isn't for me, but their music just isn't exciting or captivating me like it used to.