When a band member dies

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by GuliaLuna, Jun 23, 2016.

GuliaLuna

GuliaLuna Well-Known Member

Haven't been in here in awhile but I have some news

The guitarist of a band I love, Hopes Die Last has passed away in an accident. They are a post-hardcore band. I couldn't believe the news. I have talked to him before and he was so nice and talented. Its not fair that the best has to be taken away. I admire this band so much. They helped me through the roughest. When no one couldn't help me, their music soothed me. It comforted me.

I was crying so much today. I'm not sure what to think. In the news there has been some celebrity deaths like Prince and the X Factor singer Christina Grimmie. So I know I am not alone!

Is it normal to feel sad when a band member dies? Has this ever happened with a band you like? Should I just stop crying?

AndreyKamensky likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It's a normal thing to experience since you feel a connection. I've had that feeling with Prince and Aaliyah's passing. They were both artists I grew up really listening to and admiring. Not so much celebrity worship as it is feeling a personal connection through their music. Music is a profound thing, if you let it be.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

It's hard to get over some musicians who passed away but in time we have to accept it, like it or not.

astatine

astatine Well-Known Member

I think it's normal to feel grief about someone dying, especially when it's someone who's impacted your life in some way. We don't know these people personally, but at some point, they surely made us smile and feel better with what they do.

Dorothy Perks

Dorothy Perks Well-Known Member

Eventually, the sadness will go away. It really is sad, but the grief of losing a family member is the worst. Some couldn't get out of the negative impact and falls into depression.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Sometimes we can thank them for giving us something that made us happy.

LinkinFuzzy

LinkinFuzzy Member

In memory, everything seems to happen to music.

Vdalem and AndreyKamensky like this.
    Jasmine

Jasmine Member

I think in time we learn to live with the fact they are gone, we never fully get over it though. Sometimes a band or a person feels like family, losing Chester felt like losing the only person who really knew me, because that's how the music felt for me at the time, and still does today. Sometimes you need time to re-coup and pull yourself back together so you can finally move forward. I hope all of us have found that time during all of our grief whether for Chester, for another member of a band or for someone close to us. Grief feels the same for them all, so grieving them all the same way makes absolute sense.