Pat Tillman killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by TeMpEsT, Apr 23, 2004.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

This man was a true American, an envy of valor. Quite a tragedy and one Hell of a sacrifice. He turned down his football career and all that money to serve our country in need.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think that it's really amazing that he gave up the money to serve his country, but we shouldn't look at his sacrifice higher than any other person who has served.

I think it's really sad that we have news about this guy dying, but we won't have news about some other average guy dying that no one cares about. That's one thing I really hate about these things. They always make it seem like a big deal that a guy with some sort of celebrity status has died but they could give a crap if some other guy dies, and they just group him in with all the big lists (i.e. "a convoy of 27 has died today"). No one should be regarded higher than anyone else in the time of war. No one should have their name read off when they die instead of another guy. The motto of the United States army is AN ARMY OF ONE. That means everyone together as one unit. Not one person on his own.

I apologize if I offended anyone with that, but that's how I feel.

Tim2

Tim2 Ambient

I've seen Tillman before and real life so that makes it all the more odd that this happened today. I remember when it was announced that he was leaving the NFL for the Army and how shocked I was, and now he's gone.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

I agree with you 100%, I just thought I'd put the news up as a topic.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I saw that in the paper. Really sad. :(